The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2002, 02:29 PM   #1
IAJack

W hat is the best off shelf match ammo?

Not really sure where to ask this, so thought I'd start here?

In your opinion what is the best brand, most accurate off the shelf ammmuntion for varmint/match competitions.

I am looking for a load for my new Savage 1/9 .223 and would like to narrow it down to only a couple differnt loads to break it in with and try

Thanks
Old September 3, 2002, 02:33 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

Federal gold medal match, Black Hills match, or Lapua match ammo. However, very few match shooters use factory ammo, AFAIK.
Old September 3, 2002, 02:48 PM   #3
IAJack

I know the serious ones reload, but I am simply going to be shooting this in fun varmint matches in our local club. Plus I don't reload so I just wanted to pick and start with the best shelf stuff I could.

Keep opinions coming

thanks
Old September 3, 2002, 03:07 PM   #4
Steve Smith

I have used the Black Hills a few times, and it works quite well.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old September 4, 2002, 06:01 PM   #5

Used both the FedGMM & BHM with excellent results in both match and CS ARs. No exp w/ Lapua.
Old September 5, 2002, 01:38 AM   #6
Paul Fitz Jones

The best ammo made

According to a editor friend at Guns and Ammo magazine. Federal ammo in any caliber gave the best results in their writeups of new guns being tested for publication which made for a dilemma as they had to support the other ammo company advertisers.

So It took some careful consideration by the staff as to which new weapon arriving gets the coveted Federal ammo.

Another tid bit was that they had to search high and wide to find BeautifulLugers to take pictures of as whenever rack magazine sales dropped all they had to do was to print a pretty Luger on the cover of Guns and Ammo.
Police Firearms Instructor
Old September 5, 2002, 09:15 AM   #7
Steve Smith

Regarding .223, you should know that Federal cases have been proven to have significantly thinner and weaker design than that of LC, PMC, Remington, and Winchester. I have seen the cases cut in half and compared, and have tested them myself with water volume. In a bolt gun, it may have no significance, but in a semi-auto such as an AR, cases will become unusable much more quickly, and some may cause dangerous situations.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old September 5, 2002, 04:30 PM   #8
Paul Fitz Jones

Valuable list Re: exceptions

This list is valuable regarding up to date exceptions regarding any stated rule.

For my 223, 308 and 06 I only USA GI for its strength , MILSPEC uniformity and long reloading life. .

I figure that civilian 223 is too weak to use in my military rifles so have never bought or used any.

The weakest brass over of all the manufacturers in my experience is Remington and any Remington 45acp nickel plated brass I ran across I promptly got rid of.

In 45 acp I only load and fire from my identical lots of WCC74. 76, 77 and 78. I once bought 50,000 and had my boy scouts clean, inspect and sort my extensive brass collection Gi and Civilian brass.

Ask for my list of once fired brass I no longer need.
Police Firearms Instructor
Old September 5, 2002, 04:40 PM   #9
Steve Smith

Based only on thickness, weight, and web structure (and not on metellurgical testing) LC .223 brass appears to be exactly the same as Remington brass. The "LC is thicker than commercial and requires a lighter charge" story is not true for the .223. It IS true for .308 and .30-06, BTW.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old September 7, 2002, 09:30 AM   #10
Fatelvis

Federal Gold match and Black Hills both put out great ammo.