The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Closed Thread

Old April 26, 2017, 05:17 PM   #76
MosinNOUGAT

Quote:
Peeing on the action is something we were told to try, in an emergency, if it was stuck shut due to the cold.
If you ever had to do this, would you have to clean it afterwards from the acids in urine? Just wondering. . .

Thanks
Old April 26, 2017, 07:19 PM   #77
ThomasT

You better not be caught pi$$in' on my gun.
Old April 26, 2017, 07:57 PM   #78
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Really?

Huh, :
My bolt is not sticky at all,
My trigger is not at all heavy,
It's not too heavy,
I never use the safety on my Mosin,
It's PRETTY accurate!
That's nice for you.

However, your question was, "Is the Mosin (91/30) a good survival rifle???" Which suggests M-Ns in general, not your particular rifle. If you want to talk about your particular rifle, for any of us to have anything to talk about, you'd have to let each of us spend time with it.

Otherwise, with my admittedly limited experience with M-Ns (only handled about a dozen of them), plus everything I've ever read about them, plus the experiences as related to me by friends concerning their M-Ns, I'm confident my assessment is fairly accurate.

Thanks.
Old April 26, 2017, 08:01 PM   #79
Blindstitch

This is like the motorcycle joke.

Back in January, on a bitterly cold winter’s day in North Dakota, a State Trooper out on patrol came upon a motorcyclist who was stalled by the roadside. The biker was swathed in heavy protective clothing and wearing a full-face helmet to protect the face from the cold weather.

“What’s the matter? asked the Trooper. “Carburetor’s frozen,” was the terse reply. “Pee on it. That’ll thaw it out.” “I can’t,” said the biker.

“OK, watch me closely and I’ll show you.” The Trooper unzipped and promptly warmed the carburetor as promised. Moments later the bike started and the rider drove off, waving.

A few days later, the local State Troopers’ office received a note of thanks from the father of the motorcyclist. It began: “On behalf of my daughter Jill, I’d like to thank Officer…”
Old April 26, 2017, 10:14 PM   #80
bamaranger

beats a sharp stick

I remember seeing photos of folks guarding their, homes, property and people with .22 rifles after one of the west coast quakes. I have also read accounts of folks who "escaped" New Orleans with an AK clone.

Point is that just about any rifle and ample ammo gives you an up on mob type activity, at least for a bit. The Mosins came through Stalingrad, Lenningrad, etc and would be better than nothing. Not my first choice, but certainly could be pressed into effective service.
Old April 26, 2017, 10:50 PM   #81
MosinNOUGAT

Quote:
I'm confident my assessment is fairly accurate.
With most of the MNs I've seen, your assessment is correct.

Probably due to the large amounts of wartime MNs that flooded into the US, usually made with little to no care for quality: as long as it shot, it worked for them (these mostly had round receivers because they were easier to make than ones with hex receivers which is why prewar hex MNs were usually considered higher quality than wartime ones). Luckily I got a prewar one with a hex receiver.

Thanks
Old April 27, 2017, 12:08 AM   #82
rickyrick

Based on your posts, I'm gonna say that in two or three years, you'll be getting into ARs. That is if they are allowed where you are.
Most try a little of this and a little of that. Then they move on to the budget AR. Tinkering with an AR, the realization sets in that with ARs, you can create one that can do whatever you want a rifle to do, pretty much.

Then everyone thinks, "hmmmm, I could get a spare upper and have a two-fer-one."

Then it is decided the spare upper needs it's own lower. Two complete rifles now are candidates for spare uppers... next thing you know there's ARs everywhere.
You can even make a straight pull bolt gun out of one if you wanna, sort of.

But I don't mean to assume that you are interested in an AR, I can't read minds, I'm using it as a metaphor.
My advice is: when you decide what you want, get the gun that you want; get it even if it means saving money for a bit longer. Don't settle for less, it's most always disappointing.
Old April 27, 2017, 02:23 AM   #83
DPris
Member Emeritus

In a dozen or so Mosins I've had here, only one had a bolt sticky enough to require malleting open after firing.

Sticky bolts are well known, but not inevitable in all Mosins.
Most are due to cosmoline inside the bolt or chamber.
Denis
Old April 27, 2017, 01:40 PM   #84
ThomasT

Quote:
Based on your posts, I'm gonna say that in two or three years, you'll be getting into ARs. That is if they are allowed where you are.
Most try a little of this and a little of that. Then they move on to the budget AR. Tinkering with an AR, the realization sets in that with ARs, you can create one that can do whatever you want a rifle to do, pretty much.
This is from the OPs other thread that is now shut down.

Quote:
I already have an Ar-15, a .22 LR, a G17, and a Mossberg 500 (and of course, the mosin 91/30). Also, how good do you guys think an Ishapore 2A1 would be in .308 for this type of situation.
So he already has an AR. I have an AR and its not my "go to" rifle for anything. Maybe the OP is like me and just likes bolt guns better. I like my AR but I like my Mini-14 about 10 times better. But my AR is not for sale either.
Old April 27, 2017, 02:06 PM   #85
rickyrick

Thanks for pointing that out. I've forgotten which thread was which.

Mini14 is my favorite. I have several ARs now, but none will replace my mini14.
I rarely suggest a mini14 anymore, because it gets slapped down quicker than a trump hat.
I cant hardly close my gun safe anymore, but if I had to choose and keep just one rifle for the rest of my life, it'd be the mini14.

So back to the topic, if I was to use the M-N for sustenance hunting, it'd work. (Maybe not rabbits and squirrels)
As far as a defensive scenario, I would say no. But it's better than nothing. I liked my M-N rifle, but it never made the grade as a "go-to" rifle and it was a good specimen.
Old April 27, 2017, 04:38 PM   #86
MosinNOUGAT

Quote:
Maybe the OP is like me and just likes bolt guns better.
That is true!
Old April 27, 2017, 05:13 PM   #87
ThomasT

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out. I've forgotten which thread was which.
Yeah, confusing ain't it?

Mosin I like bolt guns. At least they don't throw my brass all over Hell and half of Georgia. And I like to keep my brass.
Old April 27, 2017, 05:42 PM   #88
MosinNOUGAT

I don't know why, but ratshooter's post made me think of this. The reason a lot of ranges don't allow steel shelled ammo is because they only want you shooting brass so they can reload them and sell them. It's kind of off-topic, but it just came into my head.
Old April 27, 2017, 07:06 PM   #89
jackstrawIII

Quote:
I own a Mosin but haven't shot it in a long time. It's heavy and unwieldy, the bolt is sticky, the trigger sucks, the sights suck (aftermarket sights help), ammo isn't as cheap as it used to be.

It wouldn't be my first pick for somebody seriously looking for a rifle to depend on, but at the price point, it will do its job reasonably well and dependably.
First response said it best. Took the words right out of my mouth. There are SO MANY better options.
Old April 27, 2017, 07:12 PM   #90
rickyrick

Ranges don't want the steel core bullets because it will damage their facilities and potential sparks could cause a fire, dry grass and all. I don't think it's the cases, but they are taking the caution side of things because com-bloc ammunition tends to have steel cores and other unknowns. Some look at it, some check with magnets.

I got rejected once because they said some of my 55gr 223 ammunition "looked like" Lake City cases.
Old April 27, 2017, 07:51 PM   #91
Model12Win

The Nagant is a fabulous rifle for the task. Tough, incredible reliability to survive the harshest of situations, accurate, EXTREMELY powerful and able to defeat body armor, shells are cheap if you know where to look. Fast reload with strippers. Those that talk down Nagants probably have never owned them. Keep in mind they won 2 world wars. Fantastic survival battle rifle bolties.
Old April 27, 2017, 08:22 PM   #92
Model12Win

All this Mosin talk made me have to take a picture. Here is mine ready for WW3:

Old April 27, 2017, 08:40 PM   #93
SHR970

As I've said Mosin quality is all over the map. My 91/30 has a worn barrel.... My 38 has a counter sunk bore. They are both truck axels compared to my Swede's. Quality, fit, finish, accuracy they are apples and pineapples.

That said.. they both work. Would they be my first choice? NOT! But if they were my only choice they will do. They are my "I don't care" guns.

If the fecal matter hit the circular rotating air recirculation device I can make due with them.
Old April 27, 2017, 08:43 PM   #94
SHR970

Quote:
Model12WinAll this Mosin talk made me have to take a picture. Here is mine ready for WW3:
That is what you hand your good friend who comes begging when it hits the fan. He is the peasant conscript that you just did a favor for.
Old April 27, 2017, 08:44 PM   #95
Model12Win

For CQB:

Last edited by Model12Win; April 28, 2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old April 27, 2017, 08:52 PM   #96
SHR970

The Spetsnaz shovel is better for CQB than the Moisin. That and the Tok are much better for close in and personal.
Old April 27, 2017, 09:31 PM   #97
rickyrick

I liked them, but there is way better options.
They are good for arming neighbors.
They are good to hand over during weapons confiscations in natural disasters.
You can bury them in a pipe for later years.
You can hunt with one, pretty well actually.
They are fun.
Interesting.
Yes they are pretty powerful.
Even ones thought to be immune to bolt lock, get bolt lock sometimes.
The firing pin can get slowed down if too much oil gets in the channel.
The trigger is like a raccoon trap. And they can fire if banged around.
Don't bother with the safety lol.

It is a capable rifle, but there's better options, I've owned an Enfield, it's a Cadillac next to the M-N, cartridge is a little weaker, I suppose.
I've never had the privilege of owning a 1903 or a Mauser, that saddens me lol.

I still give the M-N a yes if a good supply of ammunition is available.
Old April 27, 2017, 10:12 PM   #98
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post
The Nagant is a fabulous rifle for the task. Tough, incredible reliability to survive the harshest of situations, accurate, EXTREMELY powerful and able to defeat body armor, shells are cheap if you know where to look. Fast reload with strippers. Those that talk down Nagants probably have never owned them. Keep in mind they won 2 world wars. Fantastic survival battle rifle bolties.

Also, heavy... shooting a obsolete cartridge (rimmed rifle round), and is very utilitarian.

My main reason for quoting is that the Mosin Nagant DID NOT win two World Wars. In World War I, the Russians surrendered to the Central Powers following the abdication of the Tsar. Hard to win a war when you drop out due to your people starving and beginning a revolution that results in the death of that portion of the monarchy.

In World War II... the Mosin Nagant was a big part of the Soviet Union's success. But I think the 8 to 11 million military deaths had a bigger part in it. The weapons in the German army were superior to the Soviet weaponry... but with a ratio of 10 to 1 rifles, it is hard to stop numbers.

While the design is a workhorse of the Russian/Soviet military, they are not the be-all, end-all of bolt action designs. There really isn't a bad bolt action during the time the Mosin Nagant was on the front lines... but they aren't the best in the world. That isn't talking down the rifle (and being you specifically called out those owning "Nagants," I do also have a M1895... which is what a Nagant is; I also have a PU sniper, and a M38... neither being Nagants). Ammo is not as cheap as it used to be, and stripper clips aren't as fast loading/easy as mentioned (try a Mauser clip... like night/day).
Old April 27, 2017, 10:42 PM   #99
Danoobie

IMO, it hinges on the "(91/30)" part of the question.
While a 91/30 is a passable rifle, but way too long for
most practical purposes. The carbine version,
the M44, is shorter, and has a built-in bayonet. The M44
would be much better suited, in many situations.

While I have to agree that there are many better alternatives,
including the SKS, the Mosin would work. While heavy, it is fairly
wear and tear resistant.

BUT. I am forced to agree as to how "good" it would be, would
depend upon the individual circumstances.
Old April 28, 2017, 11:40 AM   #100
Model12Win

After handling and firing M91/30s for many years, I've come to prefer them over the carbines. Despite it's length, I find them handy and surprisingly well balanced. The longer barrel cuts down on muzzle blast flash and concussive noise quite a bit. I can fire my 91/30 without hearing protection and it is not overbearing. The carbines? Not recommended!! Also the longer 91/30 gives a bit better velocity for increased penetration and terminal effect and also has a longer sighting radius for better shooting. They also recoil somewhat less do to the increased mass.

But, the carbines are a hoot and people love to see the big fireballs they make at the range! But for combat make mine the full size rifle, even if it is a longer weapon for sure.

Now look, I'm not trying to see the Mosin is the best combat rifle for 2017. Obviously it's far from it. BUT, with the proper technique and experience and a rifle that is set up properly, they can still do the job.

People complain of sticky bolts. Well there are fixes for that, no it is NOT how all Mosins are and it is NOT how they should be, usually it is a result of different factors like storage and wear.

Then some claim you have to remove the Mosin from the shoulder to reload a cartridge. Phooey! You don't!! It is just awkward for a while when you first learn to work the bolt from the shoulder, it becomes second nature and one can work the bolt nearly as fast as a Mauser with some practice.

And stripper clips? Many have issues with these. But with proper milsurp clips, not junk Chinese repros, and the right technique it can be fast smooth and effective. Knowing how to set up the clips to prevent rim lock will keep it from happening even on rifles with worn interrupters, of which I've had a few.

Remedial actions takes some getting used to as there are a couple major stoppages that can occur when mishandling rounds during reloading, but they can be overcome.

The guns are generally not as accurate as modern rifles and they don't need to be. They are BATTLE RIFLES, they are generally accurate enough to defeat exposed personnel out to 400-500 meters and beyond and are effective on area targets much further out. The round is still considered to be very powerful and effective with high penetration properties.

In short, they are not as ergonomic or simply nice as a Mauser or Lee Enfield, but they do work and work well IF you know how to run one. A Mosin was my first rifle and in the past decade I have learned to run it properly. They have their flaws and I would never trade one over my PTR-91 if I was going into a battle, but honest to god I wouldn't feel unarmed with one if it's all I had, and I'd much rather have one over many other guns in that situation.

Keep in mind Mosins are still used in many global conflicts to this day. Images and videos from places like Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Ukraine, and tons of other places show them being used alongside modern assault rifles and other weapons. For a guerrilla style shoot and scoot type ersatz sniping weapon, they are perfectly adequate and the ammunition is abundant in that part of the world and they will continue to be useful and ultimately effective weapons in low level conflicts for years to come. In the US they aren't as cheap as they used to be but you can still find very good deals on them at gun shows and yard sales etc., same for the ammo. They are very solid and durable rifles that will do the job of defense or hunting.

Last edited by Model12Win; April 28, 2017 at 12:02 PM.
Closed Thread