The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 16, 2013, 11:51 AM   #1
Vinnie Harold

What's a good price on a Wilson CQB?

Went to the store and they actually had Ed Browns, Nighthawks, and a Wilson.
The Wilson is the CQB shown on their site (black, 5 in, but instead of the regular sight, night sights were put on.
This is a used firearm that the dealer priced at $2799. The new model on the web is base priced at $2865.

I know guns lose value (I think most do) but this used is priced to close to the new model.

Can anyone offer a hint as to what the value of this firearm should be (I'd like to make an offer), assuming it is in excellent condition, and I do not want to insult the dealer nor do I want to "overpay"?

On another topic, if you please.

I have also been looking at Les Baer, and I can get a new one at a good price (one I'm OK with), but the seller is also recommending that while the gun is in his store, to avoid shipping and whatever other costs, that I authorize him to do and action job on the trigger.
I have been reading and reading on the net, and while it seems you can never over tune a 1911, do you think and action job on a new $1900 firearm
should be done?

Thanks.
Old February 16, 2013, 01:24 PM   #2
vandyatc

What's a good price on a Wilson CQB?

My opinion, for what it is worth, is unless the firearm has damage, evidence of significant wear, or reported round counts in the thousands then you should expect to pay for near new price for a used one. They tend not to change hands often and retain a high value.

I have a brand new (bought new at least) CQB and I would not hesitate to buy one that looks new for nearly new prices. I also would not sell mine for much less than retail as well...

You likely have room to talk them down another $100, but the going rate on the Wilson's, Browns and the like is high as they are always in demand because they are known to be reliable for many thousands of rounds.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old February 16, 2013, 01:45 PM   #3
TxFlyFish

wilson CQB just transitioned to bullet proof everything recently. that might be worth couple extra 100 for a NIB.

For a regular run of the mill CQB that is in used condition i would shoot for 2200-2400
Old February 16, 2013, 01:46 PM   #4
vandyatc

I forgot about that.... VERY good point.
Old February 16, 2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Vinnie Harold

Guys,

Thanks. I went to Wilson to find out about this "bullet proofing" that you mentioned. I could not find anything about it. Yes, I found in the parts catalogue bullet proof parts, but are the new CQB's all made with this bullet proofing?

The base is $2865, but I can not find what upgrades they are able to provide or what the cost is.
I must be looking in the wrong place.
Old February 16, 2013, 04:26 PM   #6
TxFlyFish

All new CQB are made with their in house bullet proof parts for 2013, it's so recent that some are not sure if the pre-ordered guns are going to be bullet proof. I would inquire in the 1911 Wilson sub forums or call Wilson directly to make sure if a specific serial is part of the whole line transition to bp parts
Old February 16, 2013, 05:33 PM   #7
gunluver

May depend on any options it has as well. I paid $3100 for my CQB last year, with extra options. Ball end mill cuts, flush cut and reverse crown barrel, speed chute, Marine Corps emblem engraved, and sterling silver grip medallions to name a few.

The price is probably right, but without knowing which options it has it is hard to say for sure
Old February 16, 2013, 05:35 PM   #8
gunluver

I would also advise against a trigger job on a new Les Baer. They are known to have very nice triggers right from the factory
Old February 17, 2013, 01:13 AM   #9
Topthis

I really don't think that a Les Baer would need a Trigger Job...I own 2 now and I can't imagine doing anything to them, they are in fact Custom 1911's. Sounds strange to me...