The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 2017, 02:59 PM   #1
bandw1dth

N320 and the Hornady Powder measure

Hello all,

I absolutely love using N320 in 9mm but have consistently had the Hornady powder measure on my LnL AP bind up with N320 regardless of charge weight. My lee perfect powder measure works flawlessly with N320. I’ve got the baffle in it, the press is grounded so there’s no static to speak of, I also take a dryer sheet to the plastic reservoir just in case.

Anyone had this happen or is able to point me in the right direction?
Old October 13, 2017, 03:02 PM   #2
fpchief

Subscribed. It is sometimes a hassle for me too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old October 13, 2017, 03:49 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

The Lee Perfect, Lee Classic, and JDS QuickMeasure all have mechanisms (wipers for Lee, an unusual metering cavity configuration for JDS) that avoid catching on and cutting grains, which also means avoiding getting caught on them. It can help to chamfer the edge of the metering cavity on a metal drum measure; the edge that is the last seen by the hopper as you close off the cavity by rotating the drum to dispense a charge, but it's not always perfect and will probably void your warranty.

The Quick Measure has an adapter for progressive loading on a Dillon, but I don't know about its fit to the Hornady progressive. You could ask them. Lee makes a progressive press drum measure that is case actuated called the Auto-drum measure that has the same wiper in it to prevent grain catching and cutting. It requires their die adapters as well. Still, switching to one of those would be the most economical path to a progressive press measure that didn't catch or try to cut grains.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle