The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2015, 08:30 PM   #1
jdscholer

Hornady .224, 35 gr., V-Max

Man, these little pills are some baaaad ground squirrel medicine.
I just got back from exterminating about forty of the little buggers with my old Mod. 43 Winchester 218 Bee. (Shot 50 shells)

I tried these 35 grainers for the first time last year, and was pleased to find that they turned my old Bee into a sub MOA rifle, which it has never really been. Then -- I stuck some of them on top of the same powder load I'd been using with 40 grain V-Max in my .222, and whipped out a couple groups that about knocked my socks off. This old barrel should be worn out by anyone's standards. It's got horrible erosion for about four inches past the chamber, but apparently hasn't lost it's magic.

These bullets are a stubby little thing that are perfect for short magazines like might be found on Bee's and Hornets. They've got a lot of straight sidewall before the ogive, which is a good thing, or you'd never get it close to the rifling and still gripped by the case neck.

Guess my next step will be to try them in this 22 BR that I've been messing with. jd
Old January 24, 2015, 10:50 PM   #2
Colorado Redneck

I have never had much luck with the 35 gr. V-max. Tried a box in a 22 hornet, but they were less than accurate. Then I got a 222 Rem. and tried them again. They were fairly accurate, but the velocities were sub-standard in my CZ. Looks like your 222 really likes'em! What powder are you using?
Old January 25, 2015, 01:40 AM   #3
jdscholer

I happened to be using BLC-2 in the 222. That was what I'd been using with the 40 gr V-Max. Load is listed on target.

Bee is using IMR 4227, max load at 13.5 gr.

Both of these barrels are slow twist at 1 in 14. Hornady says these bullets are good for 4000 fps+, and I'll soon be testing them at near that in my 22BR.

By the way, I've been using metered not weighed charges with these, which with BLC and 4227 is probably as accurate as weighing. jd
Old January 25, 2015, 02:11 PM   #4
Longshot4

My K Hornet loves those 35 V-Max. Going to have to try those 40grs in the 222 with my traditional Blc-2. Thanks for the flag.
Old January 26, 2015, 11:19 AM   #5
Clark

First 100 yard 5 shot group Mosin Nagant after I put an old Rem 700 222 barrel on a reamed out to .223.
35 gr Vmax 15 gr Blue Dot.

The first 100 yard 5 shot group from my Savage 110 223 after I put a bull barrel on it.

From the first 100 yard 5 shot target from my Ruger #1V 223 after I got it used and cleaned the Copper out.

Pic above same as link below
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old January 27, 2015, 12:07 AM   #6
jdscholer

OK Clark, why am I so clueless about this "Blue Dot" application?? Was it a cast bullet load that you applied to the V-max or ---

Have you got any sources you can give me. Vellocity, pressure, etc.. I'm dying to know.

By the way, I'm at the last of my 35 grainers, and can't find anywhere to buy or even order any more. jd
Old January 27, 2015, 01:21 AM   #7
Clark

The idea for blue dot in rifles comes from James Calhoon [Jim Leahy]:
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/

That is in frames, so you will have to poke around in there to find it. He does not have email but answers the phone.

I started shooting ground squirrels in 2004 with 13 gr 223 blue dot 62gr 223 and 17HMR.

I got a huge quantity of Hornady TAP 62 gr bullets at 3 cents each.

Since then I got a huge quantity of 35 gr Vmax for 7.7 cents.

I seat the 35 gr Vmax at 2.17", so it is jammed into the lands.
The pressure is ~ 35,000 psi and the velocity is ~ 3500 fps.

Blue dot is not a good idea for cartridges that do not get filled or nearly filled. The powder can hang up in an RCBS uniflow and make a light charge and then a heavy charge.

So if I wrote a load book, I would not put it in there.
I have shot thousands of rounds with a Ruger #1, with great gas protection.
If I were to shoot in a bolt action, I would always wear safety glasses when shooting at rodents.

The safest way is to check each case for fill height with a nail with a marker on it.

There are probably lots of good bullets and good loads, but I have all this ground squirrel ammo loaded up and ready to go, so that is what gets used on every 223 I build.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old January 27, 2015, 08:58 AM   #8
jdscholer

That's a fun little site. Looks like I'm prolly gonna spend a little money with them. Thanks. jd