The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 23, 1999, 11:02 PM   #1
leedesert

I just purchased a used Win 120, youth 20 gauge for home defense. Anyone know about this gun. It looks like it may have come before the 1200. US Repeating arms didn't know.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

Old December 24, 1999, 02:20 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

leedesert:
According to my records the Win 1200 field gun was mfg'd from 1964 to 1983, whereas the Ranger Youth began production in 1982.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited December 24, 1999).]
Old December 24, 1999, 09:27 PM   #3
leedesert

Mine doesn't say 1200 though, it says 120. I thought this was strange. The inner workings of the gun are alomost identical to the current 1300's. Any idea's where the 120 fits in the picture? Thanks for your reply and Merry Christmas.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

Old May 20, 2007, 10:41 PM   #4
zmopar1

The model 120 Ranger

I have a 12 gauge model 120 Ranger that I bought as a combo in 1986 new at Smoke and Gun in Waukegan Illinois. The 120 Ranger is the same gun as the 1300 it was offered as a cheaper varient of the 1300. The difference was that the 1300 was offered in Black Synthetic stock and foregrip as well as Walnut and in Birch. The 120 was only offered in a hardwood stock that did not make the grade of the 1300. It also used a set of shorter breach slides than the 1300 had on it. I was told in a gunsmith class that it was because they used the left over slides from some model 12's that were overstocked. That's why the fore grip on a 120 will not work on the 1300 model. The barrels were offered in a 28 inch vent ribbed as well as a smoothbore slug barrel and a smoothbore slug barrel that was able to use the winchoke choke system. The long barrel came with imp cyl., mod., and the full choke. All the 12 gauge versions as well as the 10 gauge versions came with a honeycomb one inch but pad but most of the 20 gauges only had a plastic butt plate. I read that there was only about 5,000 of the shotguns made before Winchester decided to cancel the production and stick with the 1300 by it's self. They also made a cheaper version of the 1400 auto loader called a model 140 and cancelled it out at the same time. They did the same thing back when the model 12's were made when they made a cheaper model 50 for a shor time. I have had mine for 21 years now and it still looks good and has never given me a problem. I have taken more deer with it than the years I have owned it. And a lot of my friends who used Remington's and Mossburg's crossed over to the Winchesters because of it. I hope this helps if it did and you have other questions, I can be reached at [email protected] my name is Pete
Old May 22, 2007, 06:55 PM   #5
jrfoxx

I had a model 120 Ranger in 12ga I bought used.It worked well, and seemed like a pretty good, reliable gun all around.Only sold it as I inherited 5 other shotguns, and just had no use for the Ranger anymore.Beleive I paid about $100-150 for it, in pretty mint condition.