The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 1, 2004, 10:34 PM   #1
liliysdad

870 sights?

What are my options for a set of Ghost ring sights for an 870?

I have the rifle sighted barrel now, and was curious as to whether anyone made a new "peep" attachemnt for the existing rear pedestal, and a blade for the front dovetail?

If not, I noticed you can buy the Mossberg 590 GR sights seperately, which I really like. How adaptable would these sights be to the 870?

As you can tell, Im looking for the cheapest way to good sights..
Old July 2, 2004, 09:53 PM   #2
paul salchow

AO makes rem. rifel sight replacement sights for 870's.about $20.00 for the standered type.you can find them in brownell's.
Old July 3, 2004, 01:26 PM   #3
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

liliysdad-
The XS blade sight blades will fit in the standard Remington ramp. I prefer the white stripe over the dot. YMMV.

The standard rear sight sits to far forward to use a ghost ring, as a ghost ring must be further to the rear to create the "ghost" effect, but the XS Express sight will work.

Still staying with XS, the rear ghost ring sight is very sturdy--it's almost bombproof. If you are mechanically inclined in the least, you can drill and tap the receiver yourself and mount it, otherwise a gunsmith should charge only a nominal fee.

I didn't like the look of the rear sight base on the barrel when I installed my XS sights so I removed it. Be advised that the rear sight base is silver soldered in place, so it will take heat to remove it. This will, of course, also require refinishing the barrel. I used Brownells Baking Laquer in "Earth Brown", but the finish is available in numerous colors including black and "Parkerized." See attached photos.

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do.

Denny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001.JPG (147.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg P1010005.JPG (156.0 KB, 76 views)
Old July 3, 2004, 10:43 PM   #4
paul salchow

xs sold out to ao 6 months ago.mmc stoped making there sights untill someone buy's the company.whats out there is what left.rear reciever mount,i have them,i don't know what they go for,$30.00 for the holes,you get what you pay for on mounting these.