The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 23, 2013, 10:38 PM   #51
tahunua001

I hunt coyotes with mine. my brother stole it one year and killed a 4/5 whitetail buck. other than that... squirrels, tweety birds, anything else that tickles my fancy...

I never have killed a deer with it though, I prefer slightly larger cartridges for that.
Old March 23, 2013, 11:07 PM   #52
balderclev

Personally, I like to hunt with a bolt action. The AR platform just doesn't feel comfortable to me for hunting with the pistol grip.
Old April 13, 2013, 09:44 AM   #53
cat9x

My father (he's 67 years old) and I hunt exclusively with AR15's chambered in 6.5 Grendel here in Mitchell County, Texas. We typically go out with 10-15 rounds in our magazines because we've been known to kill multiple hogs at one time. In this open country a bolt action is at a disadvantage on a herd of hogs compared to an autoloader. We also deer hunt with our AR's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (49.3 KB, 43 views)
Old April 13, 2013, 02:53 PM   #54
Death from Afar

I do, yes. I use which is set up as a Varmint Rig, and one set up for more reflective shooting. We do a lot of very high volume hunting here, and the AR platform is ideal.
Old April 13, 2013, 03:08 PM   #55
salvadore

I shot a couple of deer in the late 70s with my SP-1, but I'm kind of a renaissance man.
Old April 14, 2013, 07:42 PM   #56
ritepath

I sometimes turkey hunt with my wife's "target" AR.

I hope to acquire a 6.8 upper for this coming season.
Old April 23, 2013, 07:20 PM   #57
JASmith

From Cat9x:
Quote:
My father (he's 67 years old) and I hunt exclusively with AR15's chambered in 6.5 Grendel
The Grendel is indeed an interesting cartridge. It seems to kill at least as well as 30-30 out to past a few hundred yards. The AR-15 is easier to handle than the old 'Thutty-Thutty' too! With modern sights and range-finding equipment, you're good to go out to past ranges where you should attempt a shot!

There's even a reloading manual dedicated to the Grendel so folks can more easily get good background and a nice collection of commercial load data.
Old August 3, 2013, 07:05 PM   #58
RangerHAAF

I stalk hunt with an AR-10 using a leafsuit, they never see me.
A Colt Python's trigger pull is as smooth, beautiful and artistic as a Sidewinder sliding on the desert floor. It is concepts like this that the anti-gunners can never comprehend and why we fight so hard to keep them.
NRA Benefactor Life member
Old August 5, 2013, 08:15 AM   #59
rickyrick

If I had one I most certainly would.

I hunt with a mini14, different rifle but same concept.
Old August 5, 2013, 09:06 AM   #60
dahermit

Although I had a .223 Interarms Bolt Action and a Colt AR-15 HB, I never used them on deer. However, my brother has used an early Colt AR-15 (no forward assist), and his son used it to kill a couple of deer. My brother usually used an '06, but took a header out of a tree (about 30' up) during bow season, broke elbow, couple of ribs, so he anticipated too much pain if he used the '06 during the gun season. He found a blow-down, used it to support the AR, and shot it one handed. He reported it worked well. He always had a lot of faith in the AR as to its effectiveness, having seen the wounds it caused as a medic (V.N. 3-tours, 2 of which were in a LURP unit, in country).

Last edited by dahermit; August 5, 2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old August 5, 2013, 11:18 AM   #61
Quickdraw Limpsalot

Yup. 5.56 or .223 for coyotes & smaller critters, .450 Bushmaster for deer (also took it bear and pig hunting but didn't have any luck finding them due to limited opportunity in KY.)
Old August 6, 2013, 03:43 PM   #62
Dirty_Harry

Would if I could. I dont have time to hunt much except for deer, and .223 is illegal for deer in Michigan.

I would love a 6.8 upper, but frankly there are other gun "wants" that take precedence.

I plan on taking my M1A at some point. Those 5 round magazines are a pain though!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old August 6, 2013, 05:14 PM   #63
osirus82

I would depending if it was legal, depending on game and chambering. I dont, because i dont have one. But I would have no issue using the other EBR I have for hunting .308Fnar well anything deer or bigger.
Old August 7, 2013, 12:14 AM   #64
bacardisteve

Dpms 308 is my favorite woods gun from from varmints to black bear.
Old August 7, 2013, 07:51 AM   #65
BIG P

Shot 3 feral dogs yesterday in the garbage does that count.Btw dogs had no tags.