The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 5, 2016, 09:41 AM   #1
Kissaki

ASM C&B Conversion

Sirs:
Let me try this post a second time; this time edited for brevity.
I have a unfired 1985 ASM C&B revolver.
I want to convert it to .45 long colt/.45 Schofield.
I have talked to Krist Konverters.
The salesman could/would not tell me if my revolver would accept the Pietta or the Uberti gated conversion cylinder; BUT for an additional $225 they would fit the cylinder for me.
Has anyone made this conversion?
TYM
Kissaki
Old August 5, 2016, 05:25 PM   #2
dr1445

well if you know someone with the same model uberti or pietta you could try fitting that cylinder on your gun. make sure the bolt stop fits the stop notch in the cylinder.
Old August 5, 2016, 06:02 PM   #3
AKexpat

Quote:
Let me try this post a second time; this time edited for brevity.

I have a unfired 1985 ASM C&B revolver.

I want to convert it to .45 long colt/.45 Schofield.

I have talked to Krist Konverters.
The salesman could/would not tell me if my revolver would accept the Pietta or the Uberti gated conversion cylinder; BUT for an additional $225 they would fit the cylinder for me.

Kissaki
Let me try this reply for the first time. I have real problems with your post.

First, you state you have an unfired 1985 ASM C&B revolver. Really? I didn't know that ASM made 1985 Model C&B revolvers. Are you going by date code? What is the date code? (Hint: it is in a rectangular box on the right side of the frame).

You don't state what model revolver, caliber, or any other essentials concerning the pistol. You state is an ASM. Any conversion for a Pietta or a Uberti will likely have problems trying to adapt it to an ASM. Good luck if you are not a gunsmith.

Second, the manufacturer is "Kirst" (not Krist) Konverters, and they make very nice conversions, although spendy.

I am sorry if I have been terse, but some of you folks need to man up and edumacate yourselves before you post stuff like this.

If you really want answers, get your ducks in a row, and folks WILL help.

Go ahead and flame me and I WILL respond to you, responsibly.
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old August 5, 2016, 08:23 PM   #4
Stormson

Lets at least hope that its a STEEL frame???

If its brass then you are basically trying to blow your hand off with an improvised grenade.

Pietta absolutely will NOT work in an ASM. Uberti may or may not FIT, but even if it does that does NOT mean that it will work or that its SAFE.

Frankly, I would NEVER fire a conversion cylinder in a "mix and match" gun. I am going to, eventually, TRY and replace a worn out ASM brass frame with an Uberti steel one. It may work... Probably wont. If it DOES work I am not expecting it to work WELL, and either way it will certainly never be used for cartages. Ever.

But thats just me. After 30 odd years as a carpenter I STILL have all my fingers. I very much LIKE having all my fingers. Id very much like to KEEP all my fingers... Shrugs.. But Im funny that way.
Old August 6, 2016, 07:27 PM   #5
BlackPowderBen

Tell us some specific's about the model of the revolver and we'll try to help ya out
Old August 6, 2016, 07:59 PM   #6
Hawg

Frankly, ASM's quality is so spotty I wouldn't waste the money on it
Old August 7, 2016, 04:51 AM   #7
dr1445

+1 on hawg's post. plus the 225 you would spend in the install fee would go along ways towards a pietta or uberti.
Old August 7, 2016, 08:12 AM   #8
Beagle333

If I had an unfired ASM, I would take advantage of the fact that there are people (who are comfortable making/modifying parts) who like and collect ASMs. I would sell that one, being at its peak value as unfired, and buy a Pietta or Uberti and then know you have parts availability and also the greater chance of any converter fitting without much (if any) modifications.
Good luck and happy shooting!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 7, 2016, 07:17 PM   #9
Kissaki

ASM C&B Conversion

Sirs:
Tango Yankee Mike to: B.P.Ben, Hawg, Beagle333, dr1445, and Stromson.
B.P.Ben-Thanks!I have a 1985 ASM C&B revolver. It has a steel frame and is a .44 Cal. Colt "Navy". Should you want/need additional info. please advise.
Hawg-Thanks! But-too late-I got this beast for a song; perhaps my friend only gave it to me to shut me up!
Begale333-Thanks! Your advice is not only sound; I like your entrepreneurial spirit as well. Should I need parts my Smithy Granite 1324 will provide same.
dr1445-Thanks! To your +1 post to Hawg's post, "Great minds think alike"; y'all are causing me to wobble a bit. Now- to your first post. Unfortunately I do not know anyone who has either a Pietta or an Uberti revolver in a .44 Cal. 1851 Colt "Navy". Nevertheless, your reasoning is sound.The people I shoot with are into Bench Rest, Service Rifle, and/or Creedmoor Competition.
Stormson-Thanks! Yes, as I mentioned to B.P.Ben my revolver has a steel frame. I want to thank you for confirming the fact that a Pietta cylinder will not work in/on an ASM frame. !You have just solved 50% of my problem!
I want to once again, thank y'all for your thoughtful responses.
AKexpat-Please do not continue to embarrass yourself and insult the serious subscribers to this form by commenting any further in this thread. Everyone who has read your previous post realizes that you are non compos mentis. As to the issue of me "flaming" you; truly sir, there is no need for me to do that. From what I have seen of your intellectual acuity you have already mastered the art of the self-inflicted circumorbital hematoma!
With a particular exception for AK.
TYM
Kissaki
Old August 7, 2016, 07:23 PM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
Unfortunately I do not know anyone who has either a Pietta or an Uberti revolver in a .44 Cal. 1851 Colt "Navy".
Uberti doesn't make them and I don't think Pietta makes them in steel anymore. Why does it have to be a 51, why not a 60?
Old August 7, 2016, 08:02 PM   #11
Stormson

Quote:
Uberti doesn't make them and I don't think Pietta makes them in steel anymore. Why does it have to be a 51, why not a 60?
IKR???

If it wernt for the fact that the ol' lady would, literally, kill me in my sleep for bringing home another gun (especially since the van needs work and we may actually need another one) I would offer him $200 for a truly unfired ASM in a HEARTBEAT... It would solve my frame issues with my otherwise really nice ASM, and it would be most of the cost of a NEW Pietta 1860 for him.

Since Im not in the position, I would advise to sell it on Gunbroker and put that towards a current, and probably better quality 1860. I say probably because some ASMs are really nice. Not "trusting them to fire cartridges out of a cylinder not designed for it" nice, but worth saving nice.

Kissaki- Be warned that NO ONE here takes any responsibility for YOUR actions. Frankly, I think its a damn fool thing to attempt shooting cartridges from ANY gun\cylinder combination not designed to do so. Especially when more modern and compatible firearms are both easily and cheaply available. I urge you to consider selling the ASM to someone who will cherish it and NOT blow it up... right along with whichever hand it is you seem to have grown weary of lugging around on the end of your arm. I wouldnt be a bit surprised if you made enough to cover the FULL price of a new Pietta.. And even if not you would certainly make MOST of it, while also being able to avail yourself of an ONGOING parts supply chain... Including cylinders DESIGNED for it.
Old August 7, 2016, 08:38 PM   #12
Hawg

Ok this is mostly hearsay from me. I do know a Pietta cylinder is too long for a Uberti but I have heard you can cut it back and it works fine. I have heard Uberti fits and functions with ASP. I haven't heard of anybody trying to swap cylinders with an ASM but it's fairly likely somebody's will come close enough to work. On a side note I know a PR will fit a Pietta except the bolt notches are too narrow even for a 40 year old Pietta. Pietta IIRC changed the notches around 99 or 2000 when they went to CNC. So it can most likely be done, I just wouldn't spend that kind of money on an ASM even if it was a freebie to start with.
Old August 7, 2016, 11:03 PM   #13
drobs

I'm not affiliated with this company nor have I done any business with them but... here's a deal on a new old stock - 1851 Steel Frame - Pietta Navy in 44.

$175.00
http://www.fivestararms.com/product/...nk-44-caliber/
The website is a little sketchy to me as I see no contact info or address listed. If one of you wants to take a chance - let us know how it turns out.
There is a facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/Five-Star-A...4315910148193/

Personally I would wait till Cabela's has it's next BP sale and pick up a $200 Pietta 1860 Army. Dixie Gunworks still has Pietta 1860's for $250. I bought one from them just a couple months ago.

Last thought is - go get yourself some FFFg black powder, #10 Remington Caps, .454 diameter Hornady ball, a powder flask with 25 to 30gr spout, and give that gun a go.

I'm finding these guns are more fun to shoot in BP than they are with metallic cartridges.

Last edited by drobs; August 7, 2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old August 8, 2016, 03:21 AM   #14
Shotput79

Hello Stormson. Yes you can still get the Pietta steel frame Colt 51s. As far as the Kirst conversions I don't know about those. Here's a link to the 51s.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/726...ger-guard-blue

The only conversion cylinders I found on their site were Howell Conversion Cylinders.

OK I looked around a little more and found this link http://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/conv...rs.aspx?page=2

looks like the best you gonna do on these cylinders unless you can find a second hand for cheap. I want one myself but not for an open top unless it's the Dragoon or Walker. My pick is between the ROA or one of my RNMAs. The 58 seems like the easiest to work with. Then you have to pick between gated or not gated. Then you need to pick between five or six rounds.

Last edited by Shotput79; August 8, 2016 at 05:37 AM.
Old August 8, 2016, 06:37 AM   #15
drobs

I have the Kirst for my Pietta 1858 & Taylor R&D that came with my 1860 bought from Gunbroker.

An open top revolver really needs a Kirst style conversion cylinder with a loading gate. The R&D cylinder w/o gate requires you to remove the barrel to reload the gun. Which, while better than nothing, is a bit of a gimmick.

Since I already have 2 conversion cylinders, I'm tempted to buy another Kirst for the 2nd 1860. However, just can't justify the price these days. Can just about buy a fully functional SAA Pietta or Uberti revolver for what Kirst wants for their conversion cylinder.