The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 28, 2006, 11:08 AM   #1
Duxman

Snatch and Grab: Robbery teams Wash DC

Despite having 30+ different police agencies, our nation's capital is still not very safe: One of the typical ploys in DC now is a snatch and grab -

You and your SO walk out of a club, play, movie etc, and then a man running down the sidewalk grabs her purse and continues to run away. Often the brave young boyfriend / fiancee / husband sensing that the running BG is physically smaller than him and without fighting skills, will chase the BG.

Only to run into a gang of 5 waiting for him as he rounds the corner, and they beat the %$&*%^&$^ out of our hero and take his wallet too. This just happened a couple of weeks ago to a friend - facial surgery was needed. So becareful out there ladies and gentlemen.

The scenario plays out - (Obviously you are not in DC, unless you are super special with your Federal CC) - You are walking in your town / city / village etc., when a running youth takes your SO's purse and continues to run around the corner - do you chase? do you draw and chase? do you call police on your cell? what do you do?
Old February 28, 2006, 12:33 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Purse snatching is an age old problem as are other types of snatching. Would I go after the snatchers? Nope. My wife has a gun. If she wants them stopped then she can run them down.

I have never understood the stupidity of chivalry when it comes to these matters. Why would I risk my life going after a snatched purse that belonged to my wife? As purse snatchers who are running away, the do not pose an immediate threat to our lives. The purse and contents are simply lost material objects.

Given that my wife, who carries, knows the risk of such matters such as purse snatching, why would I want to risk my life going after an object that my wife obviously doesn't care enough about to handle securely?

Life is hard. I see no reason in making it harder by doing stupid stuff like running after bad guys to recover someone else's property they didn't think enough about to handle securely.
Old February 28, 2006, 01:56 PM   #3
Eager

Quote:
If she wants them stopped then she can run them down.
Life is hard. I see no reason in making it harder by doing stupid stuff like running after bad guys to recover wife]'s property she didn't think enough about to handle securely.
Damn! You're harsh.

NOTE TO SELF: Avoid accidental drowning if Double Naught Spy is the only guy around.

Last edited by Eager; February 28, 2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old February 28, 2006, 02:20 PM   #4
Mark54g

Eager,

A purse can hold at most some possessions and at worst irreplacable things like photos and memories.

A drowning person is at immediate risk of death or serious injury. How you can equate the two is beyond me.

DNS said that there is no reason to run down someone for taking THINGS. He would most likely change his mind if a group hoisted up his wife and ran with HER.
Old February 28, 2006, 03:07 PM   #5
Don H

Robber: "Give me your money or your life!"

Jack Benny: "Hmmm."
Old March 5, 2006, 06:34 PM   #6
CyberSEAL

I live in Northern VA and travel into DC often, always carrying concealed unless I know I need to visit a federal building. I know it's incredibly illegal to carry in DC, but of all the local places I frequent, DC is the one place I feel the need for protection.

What is a Federal CC? Is this slang for being a Federal LEO?
Old March 5, 2006, 09:25 PM   #7
CraigJS

When my wife and I go out, she doesn't have to carry much "important" stuff in her purse. DL, make-up, a few bucks.. She carries only what she needs for the night/event. No credit cards, pictures, excessive amounts of cash, sometimes not even her DL (she's 49, looks good but not asked for "ID" if she wants a drink). I have a permit to carry, and I do carry, but a 30.00 purse with 25.00 worth of make-up aren't enough to make me kill or be killed... If worried about the DL or $$ there are other ways/places to carry or conceal!!
If needed stay in condition yellow, let someone else be the victim. (Mr & Mrs condition "white")
Old March 6, 2006, 03:05 PM   #8
Mr_Magoo

Quote:
DNS said that there is no reason to run down someone for taking THINGS. He would most likely change his mind if a group hoisted up his wife and ran with HER.
If someone snatched my ex, my big worry is them bringing her back!
Old March 6, 2006, 03:09 PM   #9
Duxman

Cyber - Federal CC - you are correct. Federal LEOs - Certain special people - Federal Agents and such, FBI, Federal Marshalls, NSA etc. Get to carry their weapons concealed anywhere in the contigious US. Except I believe in secure federal facilities.
Old March 6, 2006, 04:41 PM   #10
Blackwater OPS

Actually any LEO can carry in the US. Google "H.R. 218"
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old March 6, 2006, 05:47 PM   #11
FirstFreedom

Plus, even the former mayor gets robbed at gunpoint there:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...010300279.html
Old March 6, 2006, 05:59 PM   #12
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Actually any LEO can carry in the US. Google "H.R. 218"
Wish that were true, Blackwater, but federal property is exempt from HR 218. Even an LEO from the state in which a national park is located can't carry in that park. My understanding is that there's works afoot to change that, but it ain't so yet .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old March 6, 2006, 08:02 PM   #13
Blackwater OPS

I should have been more clear, there are many places that one cannot carry under hr 218, I only meant to state that local law enforcement could also carry in any state as opposed to only federal law enforcement as Duxman had implied.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old March 6, 2006, 08:22 PM   #14
Hook686

The law as written ...

... this from the web site:

http://www.nraila.org/federalfirearm...0and%20Forests

kind of sets the tone ...
"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
USE AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS IN NATIONAL PARKS AND FORESTS

Code of Federal Regulations Title 36 "Parks, Forests, Public Property"

NOTE: The National Parks are administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior. The National Forests are administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Generally, firearms are prohibited in National Parks but permitted in National Forests.

Firearms being transported through a Park must be rendered "inoperable": unloaded, cased, broken down (if possible) and out of sight. The ranger or gate attendant must be notified of the presence of firearms upon entering the Park.

Firearms and hunting are permitted in National Forests in accordance with state law. Firearms are prohibited in any National Forest designated a game refuge or wildlife preserve except where authorized by the Forest Service.Violation of state firearms laws is prohibited in all National Forests.

Regulations concerning firearms in National parks and Forests may be found in Title 36 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

Notes

1 The Congress finds that: (1) the rights of citizens: (A) to keep and bear arms under the second amendment to the United States Constitution; (B) to security against illegal and unreasonable searches and seizures under the Fourth Amendment; (C) against uncompensated taking of property, double jeopardy, and assurance of due process of law under the Fifth Amendment ; and (D) against unconstitutional exercise of authority under the Ninth and Tenth Amendments; require additional legislation to correct existing firearms statutes and enforcement policies; and (2) additional legislation is required to reaffirm the intent of the Congress, as expressed in section 101 of the Gun Control Act of 1968, that 'it is not the purpose of this title (18 USCS Sec.Sec.921 et seq.) to place any undue or unnecessary Federal restrictions or burdens on law-abiding citizens with respect to the acquisition, possession, or use of firearms appropriate to the purpose of hunting, trapshooting, target shooting, personal protection, or any other lawful activity, and that this title is not intended to discourage or eliminate the private ownership or use of firearms by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes'.
"

Maybe write your congressional representatives ... is it not a right wing majority in both houses of congress and in the white house, and now on the Supreme Court. :barf:

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old March 6, 2006, 11:46 PM   #15
jaysouth

If you are dumb enough to go to D.C. after dark, you get no sympathy from me.
Old March 7, 2006, 01:14 AM   #16
GodblessAmerica

Dux,
I guess, given this scenario, I would probably not chase the perp., since my wife carries so much useless crapola in her purse that the perp probably wouldn't be able to run with it . Realistically, and tactically speaking, it would just depend on the situation. If I really thought I could beat the perp in a footrace (I've downgraded myself from likely to probably in the last few years as I'm approaching 4 decades) I might do it but I dang sure would hesitate and look at any corner or obstacle before proceeding. In my career in the Army, I was "killed" only once in training, while following similar bad orders from a superior. It usually takes only once (hopefully in training, not a pursuit/firefight) to forever remember to stop and look. Now, I agree that the average chivalrous "Joe" would continue this pursuit around the corner, but would soon regret it without support or backup. I shall refrain from discussing the irony of this type of scenario in the Capital of the strongest, most free and democratic Republic in the history of the world.
Old March 7, 2006, 05:56 AM   #17
jburtonpdx

Dux,

Option 3, my wife would have the guy by the neck with one hand and be pounding him with the other. I would be casually calling the police - and an ambulance, while documenting everything that fell out of the guy during the "incident" and watching for his buddies....
Old March 7, 2006, 09:42 AM   #18
Eghad

I was stationed at Ft. Belvior in 1976. You could ride the bus from the post to Constitution Ave for a whole fiddy cents. We made several trips into DC. During the Daytime there were wall to wall police on scooters, cars and horses. We noticed when it got dark that all these police evaporated into thin air. All you saw was an occasional officer. We always left town before the sun set.

NRA Life Member
Old March 7, 2006, 10:36 AM   #19
Duxman

Nice option 3

Burton - Very nice alternative option.
Old March 7, 2006, 11:27 AM   #20
Chris1911

Here's a question,
What would you do if your Significant Other had HER concealed carry weapon in the purse that the thug just ran off with? I would only give chase IF there were tons of people around, AND I could knock him to the ground before he made it around the corner... But those are very unrealistic conditions, so i'd prob. just call the cops...