The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 12, 2006, 10:18 PM   #1
01locksmith

Got the crap scared out of me!!

Last nignt was not a good night. Imagine this. The doorbell rings at 4:30 AM. You and your wife wake up. I know that a doorbell ringing at that time of night can not be good news, so I grab my S&W snubby and head toward the front door. When I get to the living room were the front door is, all I see is someone shining a flashlight in the front window. That is when I remember nothing but dropping behind a recliner and pointing my weapon for a couple of seconds. I told my wife to go to the back part of the house and that someone is out there! I realized I could do nothing according to the law until they entered (NC), so I went back to the bedroom and got my Kel Tec Sub 2000 ready and dialed 911. That is when they told me that the person at the door was a deputy and my alarm system had sent a durress code to the central station(malfunction). Well that cleared things up! After almost crapping in my underwear(that's all I had on)! The whole thing was the cause of a false alarm and I don't want this thread to be about that but the fact I never heard Sheriff Dept. or is everything OK! Scared the sh** out of me! I had no clue who was out there. After I opened the door the deputy asked me if he scared me and I said hell yes! I am just glad I didn't have my snubby with the Crimson Trace grips at the time or the deputy might would have crapped his pants too!
Old March 12, 2006, 10:52 PM   #2
stevensc

Around here the alarm company calls the house first, then the police show up.
Steve
Old March 12, 2006, 10:58 PM   #3
01locksmith

They do here too. everything but a duress alarm.
Old March 12, 2006, 11:02 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

It's a judgement call. If the deputy identifies himself and there really is a BG inside, the presence of the police might cause him to kill a hostage or start shooting randomly. That is why a duress call is a bad one, much worse than a simple break in.

Jim
Old March 13, 2006, 05:03 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I told my wife to go to the back part of the house and that someone is out there!
Well of course someone was out there. Unless your doorbell is tied to the malfunctioning alarm, then how else would the doorbell be rung?

Quote:
The whole thing was the cause of a false alarm and I don't want this thread to be about that but the fact I never heard Sheriff Dept. or is everything OK! Scared the sh** out of me! I had no clue who was out there. After I opened the door the deputy asked me if he scared me and I said hell yes! I am just glad I didn't have my snubby with the Crimson Trace grips at the time or the deputy might would have crapped his pants too!
You probably didn't hear the guy calling out and identifying himself as being from the Sheriff's Department or inquiring if everything is okay because he probably had no indication that anybody was home.

As for scaring the deputy with your snubby with laser grips, I doubt it. Remember, he was there because of a report of trouble and so he was likely on his guard already. Besides, why would you be pointing the laser at him?

I am not sure I follow why it was that you were so scared because somebody rang your doorbell. You should have been on guard because of the time of the event, but unless somebody is trying to get inside your home, ringing the doorbell in the early morning should not cause so much mental anguish.

Also, since you rationalized that at the time, the ringing bell could not have been good news, then why did you take a pistol to check things and not a rifle?
Old March 13, 2006, 09:07 AM   #6
HangFire83

Glad everything worked out well for you. Would have made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up too!!

Jeff Cooper.
Old March 14, 2006, 06:12 AM   #7
Gazpacho

Just remember that recliners offer concealment, not cover.
Old March 14, 2006, 07:26 PM   #8
SixDemonBag

Why not, from a distance or cover (for you commando types), shout "who's there?". That would have solved that 4:30am fiasco.
Old March 15, 2006, 07:46 AM   #9
HangFire83

Quote:
You forgot comfort

Jeff Cooper.
Old March 15, 2006, 02:23 PM   #10
steelheart

Quote:
Maybe we can get Barcolounger to come out with a tactical model - all black with 44 layers of kevlar laminate to defeat all handgun rounds - as well as having the reclining vibra-massager option
Old March 15, 2006, 02:58 PM   #11
Anthony2

"Maybe we can get Barcolounger to come out with a tactical model - all black with 44 layers of kevlar laminate to defeat all handgun rounds - as well as having the reclining vibra-massager option"

You forgot the cup and remote holders!

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old March 15, 2006, 10:02 PM   #12
01locksmith

I'll buy one. For a second I thought I needed one!
Old March 16, 2006, 10:01 PM   #13
riverrat66

Unnerving to say the least!

Quote:
Around here the alarm company calls the house first
If no one answers the phone we have a designated alternate number for them to call and a password must be given to the alarm company, if that fails then the police are dispatched to the house.

I think the doorbell ringing at 4:30am would be unnerving for just about anyone.
Old March 16, 2006, 11:16 PM   #14
01locksmith

That is correct about a regular type of alarm, but a duress alarm a different situation. It is silent with no phone calls.
Old March 17, 2006, 09:50 PM   #15
Anthony2

I forgot to mention last time I posted...I have been in that situation, although a little different:

State police for all intents and purposes sealed off the neighbor at 4 in the morning, and would allow no one to leave without a thourough inspection...but that is a story for another time perhaps...

Yes, it scared the living daylights out of me!!!

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me