The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 27, 2017, 09:52 PM   #1
SC4006

AR build complete!

About six months ago I decided to bite the bullet and start my first AR build. I was unsure the direction I wanted to go, so I started off buying a complete magpul lower from PSA.

Some time later I decided to also order an upper receiver from PSA along with all the upper parts. Also decided on a 13.5" magpul M-Lok free float handguard as I like that look.

Next came the barrel. At this point I had decided that I wanted an AR that could do it all basically. Something that could be reasonably accurate, but also something I could go out and plink around with and handle anything I could throw at it. I decided on a Faxon Firearms 16" 5.56 1/7 twist, chrome lined, heavy profile barrel. This barrel is designed for a mid length gas system, something I wanted. This barrel has their 5R button style rifling which they claim is more accurate.

Few weeks later I got a BCG and charging handle. For a CH I got a radian raptor LT ambidextrous handle. The BCG is a Fail Zero nickel boron bolt that I got as a complete unit.

For sights I've decided on just irons for now, which are magpul Mbus flip up sights. I will buy an optic at some point, but for now I really like these iron sights.

Finally, for a muzzle device I wanted something more than just the regular ol' A2 flash hider. I decided on an F1 firearms compensating brake.

I am sure I forgot some things, but here are some pictures anyways:

((Closeup of the muzzle brake. As you might expect for this design it is very loud to the sides, but as the shooter it's not bad at all. It works extremely well, and makes the rifle feel like a .22LR when shooting.))

((Here is how the barrel looks without the handguard. It is quite beefy.))

I don't have many rounds through it yet so I can't say much for accuracy yet. I was able to get the irons sighted in at 25 yards with 55 grain M193 ammo. It was a cold day, and couldn't shoot to the best of my ability. Still put out a 1" 3 shot group. I'll have to try different ammo at different distances and see what it likes best. I'm guessing given the 1/7 it may favor heavier bullets. Overall though I am very pleased with how it has turned out. This will likely become my go-to backyard plinking rifle.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old November 27, 2017, 11:42 PM   #2
turtlehead

Looks great. Welcome to the addiction.

And don't expect great accuracy from military ammo. You'll just be disappointed.
Old November 28, 2017, 12:04 AM   #3
marine6680

Beefy barrel there... That will handle heat very well.

High rates of fire shouldn't mess with it.

Faxon makes good barrels, feed it some good ammo, and it will likely shoot well. Mil spec ammo will not get you high accuracy usually, but its often cheaper for plinking.

1 in 7 will shoot 55-77gr stuff well.
Old November 28, 2017, 06:50 AM   #4
GeorgeandSugar

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 28, 2017, 11:20 AM   #5
bfoosh006

Very nice... but move the GB forward slightly, you really don't want it making direct contact with the barrel shoulder like that.

Your BCG might be slamming the gas tube slightly every time it fires... and that can effect accuracy.... not to mention it isn't really centered over the gas port.

You'll see if you make it loss and move it.

move it towards the muzzle about 1/16 of an inch.
Old November 28, 2017, 05:41 PM   #6
SC4006

Quote:
move it towards the muzzle about 1/16 of an inch.
Thanks for the advice. Since this is my first build I never would have known that. Always good to have the experts chime in!

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old November 28, 2017, 05:57 PM   #7
2damnold4this

Good looking build