The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 12, 2009, 11:56 AM   #1
wpd8918

Advice on new shotgun...

Ok, I want a shotgun that can be used in many different situations. I would like one that I can shoot trap/skeet/sporting clays with as well as go goose hunting and maybe turkey hunting with. I would like to accomplish this just by switching chokes. I would also like it to come with a second barrel or buy a second barrel with it that is rifled and has rifle sights so I can use it for deer too. I am thinking semi-auto but I don't have a ton of cash so I might settle for a pump. I want it to be a quality gun (don't read expensive). Any ideas?
Old September 12, 2009, 12:06 PM   #2
rickyjames

mossberg offers 2 barrel packages not sure if others do. i have 2 and i luv em.
Old September 12, 2009, 12:38 PM   #3
oneounceload

You do not necessarily need a second barrel.....a choke for that purpose can be used instead.

IF you're going to shoot clays, then a 28" barrel or so will work just fine and will also work well for waterfowl. Some might think it is a little long for deer or turkey, but, IMO, it will do well. Think about how many shots you'll be taking at deer/turkey versus clays, upland, and waterfowl and go from there
Old September 12, 2009, 12:59 PM   #4
wpd8918

anyone familiar with the stoeger 2000? ive been borrowing my friends benelli m1 and love it but i don't think i can afford one. the stoeger claims to use the same inertia system...
Old September 12, 2009, 02:48 PM   #5
claysportsonline

Beretta 391

If you don't have a ton of cash (welcome to the club!), a lightly used Beretta 391 might be a good bet for an all-around sporting and hunting gun. Low recoil and if you choke up for hunting, it's deadly on the course and in the field.

Good shooting to you-
Christian
www.claysportsonline.com
Old September 12, 2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Ian0351

Mossberg 500 with 28" adjustable choke barrel and 18.5" cylinder bore barrel usually runs about $300 new, cheaper used. It's a good pump action, infinitely customizable at a later date, and has many uses. If you want to spend more money, I recently saw Big-5 (a local chain sporting goods store) advertising the Benelli Nova semi-auto 12 GA for $399... but only one barrel with a screw in choke, I think 24".

I have and swear by the Mossberg 500... good enough for the USMC is good enough for me (I know that they use Mossberg 590s and Beneli M4s now, but when I was in the green machine we carried M500A1s on sentry duty).

Semper Fidelis
Old September 12, 2009, 05:44 PM   #7
RetiredLawman

I've been using 2000s for three or four years. The old model kicked pretty hard. The New Model 2000 is a pleasure to shoot with a Limbsaver on it. I love it. However, no way I'd use without a Limbsaver. I've never had a single problem with either one of my 2000s.
Old September 13, 2009, 11:23 AM   #8
SeekHer

With either a pump or semi auto that's barrel will remove can be changed to whatever you want it to be and of course is available...

2¾" chambered, 20" rifles sights for turkey, deer fine...28" for upland birds, excellent, 30" for clays, great...Then decide whether fixed choke barrels (much cheaper) or choke tubes and of course what degree of constriction (see chart below)...

You can also get, if offered, a 3" or 3½" chambered barrel for it for turkey, geese, HD, whatever--all it is a longer opening for the shell to expand into and that is found on the barrel not the action...I've done it with Winchesters, Brownings, Remingtons and all have worked fine but with this proviso, 2¾" light target loads may not cycle/eject properly from the larger barrels...

You can of course buy them with the gun or from after market dealers either made by the original gun's maker or after market manufactures, like Hasting's Barrels...Used/new barrels are available from Corson's Barrels or from The Barrel Exchange and of course places like Brownell's, Midway, Natchez, Cabela's etc...

I've dealt with both and recommend them...They will sell you extra barrels for just about any, non bespoke, shotgun made including SxS and O/U models if they have them available...I also bought a couple of Hasting barrels and they are just superb...

Now you have to decide upon semi auto (my preference) or pump and then maker...Remington, Benelli, Browning, Winchester, Beretta, Franchi, FN, Weatherby etc. for semis and pumps, Ithaca and then there's the rattletrap Mossberg which I'd never buy even if they do have a tang mounted safety!

Posted this on another thread...
FYI
Choke.....% in 30" circle at 40 yds
Cylinder.....40
Skeet........45
Skeet 1.....(46.5)
Skeet 2.....(48.5)
Imp Cyl......50
Light Mod...55
Modified.....60
Imp Mod.....65
Light Full....68
Full...........70
Extra Full ...75
Super Full...80

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living
Old September 13, 2009, 08:01 PM   #9
OfficerJohnson10

You can't go wrong with The Mossberg 500 deer/field combo package. Nice smooth bore barrel with interchangeable chokes for clay and bird and a rifled barrel which I use for deer. My rifled barrel came with a picatinny rail extension attached for a scope (which was included with rings) so I didn't have to worry about mounting the scope to the receiver and constantly removing, putting back on, and resighting in the scope every time I switch out barrels. I just take off the rifled barrel with the scope attached and put on the smooth bore and I'm clay shooting in no time. And once the rifled barrel is put back on, it has held its zero which helps me not to spend numerous rounds of the expensive sabot slug ammo trying to resight the scope for deer season. The gun also came with interchangeable combs for the stock for use depending on which barrel is being used. The only issue I've had was the lesser quality shotgun scope included in the package broke which was not a big deal. And not to mention aftermarket parks for Mossberg are in abundance so one day if you want to turn it into a home defense gun or just put on all the bells and whistles you can do it no problem. The "slugster" version with the intergrated scope mount and interchangeable cheek piece is going for around $400 right now. Good Luck and let us know what you end up with!

Your goal in a gunfight should not be to simply survive...it should be to prevail.

Last edited by OfficerJohnson10; September 13, 2009 at 08:10 PM.