The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 19, 2019, 02:52 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

The Swiss Vote to Accept EU Gun Control

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48328867

After gross failures of the existing EU gun control regime, the EU of course decided to tighten restrictions on all the people following the law. Not satisfied with this, they demanded Switzerland cast aside its firearms traditions if they wished to remain part of the Schengen zone of international travel and trade. The Swiss chose economics over tradition to the tune of 63% of voters.
Old May 19, 2019, 03:44 PM   #2
FITASC

As would we if our livelihoods were on the line
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 19, 2019, 03:59 PM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

If by “we” you mean other Americans, then probably so. If by “we” you mean you and I, then no. “We” would not.

Semantics aside, 37% of armed Swiss citizens voted against it. Now the question is what will they do about it?
Old May 19, 2019, 05:50 PM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

Eat cheese and chocolate. What do you expect? The Swiss had some civil warlike events in history. Calmed down in the 1800s after all the Napoleonic uproar subsided.

However, this does take the wind out of the sails of using Switzerland as an example of civilized gun heaven. That was always misinterpreted in some dimensions anyway.
Old May 19, 2019, 05:52 PM   #5
FITASC

Being landlocked and dependent on surrounding countries for things like gas and oil, the Lords of Brussels are acting like warlords, not diplomats; all part of the NWO
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 19, 2019, 06:31 PM   #6
Bartholomew Roberts

More importantly, you can see what the “Western” globalists will tolerate in terms of the Second Amendment. The Swiss, were not even a part of the EU, nor were they especially liberal with firearms law in respect to the U.S. Despite both of those those facts, the EU decided to use their leverage to disarm the Swiss.

If the Swiss don’t fight that, they deserve what’s coming.
Old May 19, 2019, 06:47 PM   #7
krunchnik

It was reported that the new laws will not affect existing firearms owned-we shall see about that-they may as well start waiting for their notice to disarm or face prison sentences or worse.
Old May 19, 2019, 06:59 PM   #8
Bartholomew Roberts

You know, there comes a point where you’ve been a responsible, productive citizen your whole life and they demand you disarm because you could be a threat. When I hear that, I think “What are you planning to do that you worry about me, the guy who has been doing your work for decades, being a threat?”

At that point, I think that as bad as the odds might be, I’d rather face them them armed than disarm and hope the odds get better.
Old May 19, 2019, 08:48 PM   #9
FITASC

The Swiss have one of the best economies in the world, are voted one of the best and happiest countries to live in, and have their government modeled after what ours USED to be - small Federal government with more power lying with the Canton (state) level. I would venture that many of the NWO leaders in Europe have secret accounts in Switzerland.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:06 PM   #10
JERRYS.

Switzerland is one of the most homogenous countries in Europe. that alone can attributed to their prosperity and low crime rate. however, now that they will be importing the problems of other countries this will change.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:28 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Switzerland is one of the most homogenous countries in Europe.
right, where about 1/3 of the people speak German, 1/3 French, and 1/3 Italian, and in all those areas the more rural people also speak Swiss.

Where they are homogenous over many other nations is that they are nearly all Swiss. Also, Switzerland isn't big on "guest worker" programs, and they basically don't let you emigrate there unless you have your own money...
Old May 19, 2019, 10:41 PM   #12
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
right, where about 1/3 of the people speak German, 1/3 French, and 1/3 Italian, and in all those areas the more rural people also speak Swiss.

Where they are homogenous over many other nations is that they are nearly all Swiss. Also, Switzerland isn't big on "guest worker" programs, and they basically don't let you emigrate there unless you have your own money...
yeah, that's what I alluded to... but now that's going to change.
Old May 20, 2019, 08:00 AM   #13
FITASC

Doubtful; they are not part of the EU, so immigration is a moot point. They got rid of some immigrants from certain countries and have very strict quotas.
It took Tina Turner over 25 years of residency to become a Swiss citizen. And, while there are 4 official languages, the citizenship test is only given in German.
Old May 20, 2019, 08:57 AM   #14
LineStretcher

Hard to believe this story. The Swiss are a neutral country and independent of the EU. I'll have to write my cousin to verify this but the last I heard they are required to serve in their military and are issued weapons which they maintain in their homes as a part of their ready militia. They train regularly. They do not own these guns but they are responsible for them. So, if this is strictly a private citizens gun ownership thing then it's laughable.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:12 AM   #15
Skans

A perfect example of what can happen to a country once they join something that was intended to be nothing more than an economic union. Over-reach at its worst!
Old May 21, 2019, 12:24 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
A perfect example of what can happen to a country once they join something that was intended to be nothing more than an economic union. Over-reach at its worst!
Oh, I don't know about it being "over-reach". Everything is tied to economics, whether it is sold, or not. Check out our "commerce clause" in the US, and how it is interpreted and enforced. I, personally think its wrong, but I am only a "pawn in game of life"...

People are part of economics too. From what I hear, that is part of some nations biggest objections to the EU. They apparently don't much care for the "masters" in Brussels (or wherever..) telling them how many people from other places they have to allow into their countries, (to work, of course...)

So, I don't know if "over-reach" is the correct term, if you give then the power, and they use it, it may be more than we expected, it may be more than we were promised, (and being naïve enough to expect them to be honest about it) but is it really "over-reach", if they have the legal authority to do it?
Old May 21, 2019, 04:46 PM   #17
Scorch

The EU from the beginning has sought to have uniform laws across the member states. Started out with unified currency, then financial laws, then border access, then trade, then property laws, and now it seems they are approaching their dream of a federal union, with federal laws superseding member state laws. It will be interesting to watch the next few moves. Won't try to guess what the next move will be. Any Swiss members here?
Old May 21, 2019, 05:11 PM   #18
davidsog

Quote:
The Swiss government urged voters to back the changes.

It said gun enthusiasts would not notice the new rules, while adopting them would allow Switzerland to retain its Schengen membership.

Officials said membership of the zone had been beneficial to the economy and to fighting crime.
That is why so many Swiss voted for the "new rules". There simply won't be any new rules just ink put to paper. The EU will get lip service and it will not be worth the paper it is written on.

As Every Able body swiss male is in the military by law.....woman are accepted on a volunteer basis.

The Swiss Military keeps their weapons at home and meet a couple of times a year to train.

Only the Swiss Military will have guns in Switzerland, Unless of course the EU outlaws guns for the Military. Replace guns with hugs....

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/military-service/29288612
Old May 21, 2019, 09:10 PM   #19
Colorado Redneck

Read about gun laws/regulations in Switzerland

The Swiss have stricter gun laws than the U.S. Switzerland is no Shangraila.
https://www.loc.gov/law/help/firearm...witzerland.php
Old May 22, 2019, 04:24 PM   #20
Bartholomew Roberts

Not strict enough to satisfy their EU neighbors it seems. Worth keeping in mind because these same people won’t hesitate to crack the same whip on us if they can and there are plenty of Americans who’d help them for a more uniform system of global laws and trade.
Old May 23, 2019, 04:45 PM   #21
TDL

Quote:
I worked in Switzerland for a year 30 years ago, and have visited a few times recently, It has really really changed.

In the western world, Switzerland and Australia are about tied for the largest proportion of immigrants in their populations.

On raw numbers Switzerland is low for number of migrants, but well above German, UK in terms of migrants as a proportion of population

On the other side of the coin, a lot of immigrants into Switzerland are from Italy and France. But those are themselves countries with more gun control.

I'd like to see the demographics by gender and age breakdown on this vote or the pre-vote polling.