The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 19, 2014, 10:19 PM   #1
tobnpr

Where are all the K-31's coming from again?

I thought the Swiss has sold off the last from their arsenals years ago, and the spotty offerings seen were from private collections.

In the past few weeks, at least three of the major online C&R retailers/wholesalers have them for sale again. I'm really tempted to buy a third one- still an amazing value.

Did they uncover an unknown/forgotten cache of these in an armory somewhere, or was I misinformed about the supply having been exhausted?
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old April 20, 2014, 01:00 AM   #2
Model12Win

It's possible they got a new batch in from an importer??
Old April 20, 2014, 04:33 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

I am unsure also. These aren't even the cracked stock variety that have been trickling out the last few years. All I can figure is someone had them in a warehouse in the US holding them in anticipation of the price rising and money got tight.
Old April 21, 2014, 06:45 PM   #4
fiream29

Quote:
I am unsure also. These aren't even the cracked stock variety that have been trickling out the last few years. All I can figure is someone had them in a warehouse in the US holding them in anticipation of the price rising and money got tight.
My suspicion also. Importers all claimed there "wouldn't be any more" and suddenly when the price goes over $300.00, here they are. Supply and demand. Cut off the supply and demand skyrockets. Funny thing is, many of the folks purchasing at the $300.00+ level are the same ones who turned their noses up when these guns were $60.00-70.00.
Old April 21, 2014, 08:51 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is common for importers to hold back milsurps. The quantities are so vast compared with sporting rifles that dumping them all on the market at once will depress prices and jade the interest. So smart importers will warehouse a lot of their stock, then release it a bit at a time to keep the interest (and the prices) up. Also, it is not unknown for a nation selling off its old arms to do the same thing, initially selling off only part of their stock. When they see that the "old junk" really has value, they will release more, adjusting the price accordingly.

Jim
Old April 22, 2014, 11:04 AM   #6
g.willikers

They must have been studying how De Beers does it with diamonds.
Old April 23, 2014, 08:34 AM   #7
zfk55

Actually, a large number of these are marked "P". The arsenal rifles are mostly gone, and k31s are now bringing higher prices on the street in Switzerland. Bear in mind that even though the rifles stamped with "P" seem to be sought after, those are the very rifles that passed from the military (with a number of regular periodic qualifaication rounds fired) into the hands of the Private Citizen who easily may have continued to shoot competitions for years after. That equals: A lot more rounds through that barrel!

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old April 23, 2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Capybara

AIM just sent out a follow up e-mail to some of us who ordered. This new AIM batch have huge, hideous importer billboards stamped right at the rear of the receiver. I have to say I have never seen such a bad place to mark them and such an ugly billboard. Kind of spoils them as far as collectibility but I am sure they will be great shooters.

Old May 1, 2014, 10:59 PM   #9
sprouticus

Simpson LTD out of Illinois, puts a very small import mark on their K-31's

http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?...sort=4a&page=5
Old May 2, 2014, 07:51 PM   #10
barnbwt

Jeezus, AIM, why would you do that? I actually feel bad for buying GP11 from them, once. Never again, that's just retarded what they did there. Hope they fire whatever manager or contractor ruined all those guns.

TCB
Old May 3, 2014, 08:31 AM   #11
tobnpr

Don't really know anything about the importing process/procedure, but I don't think this is AIM's doing.

Century is the importer, appears AIM bought these- from them. Shame on CAI, I suppose- but does anyone know the facts behind the requirements of the import /SN registrations?

Where on the firearms they need to be located (if any such restriction exists), and the size of the lettering?

There doesn't seem to be much consistency here with many C&R firearms, and obviously "less" is better- so why would an importer do anything other than make it as unobtrusive as possible?

I was unaware that Simpson imported directly...that's interesting...
Never bought from them before, but I've looked at their offerings online a lot.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old May 4, 2014, 07:52 PM   #12
DennisCA

Simpsons. LTD all ways has them - every else is just catching up
Old May 5, 2014, 07:44 AM   #13
zfk55

All of the Swiss rifles from Simpsons are selected and purchased by Bob Simpson himself. He travels often on these buying trips. That's how the descriptions are so very accurate and can be depended upon by the buyer.

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old May 7, 2014, 12:55 PM   #14
Capybara

Now that I scored a decent K31, if I was to buy another, I would definitely check out Simpsons. You will pay premium prices but they have premium rifles too. If you want a really nice one or a rare one, Simpsons is the source. If you just want a shooter, the AIM ones are fine.
Old May 7, 2014, 02:24 PM   #15
nate_g_2003

I'm actually considering a Simpson's right now, over an AIM, simply due to CAI's extreme advertising on the rear of the receiver.

But I have a noob question: can you preload the magazine (like most other removable mags) and then insert it into the action/receiver and load the rifle? It just seems the charging clips command a premium from what I've seen.
Old May 7, 2014, 02:37 PM   #16
kilimanjaro

Yes.

You can get spare magazines for about $50.
Old May 7, 2014, 02:40 PM   #17
DennisCA

I recommend Simpsons!

For those sitting on the fence; buy from Simpsons, LTD (IMHO)!
I bought a K11 (all matching with match bayo!) it was in good shape and it shoots well-very well!
Their customer-service is great and (like zfk55 said) the descriptions are spot one! I am very happy with my K11
Old May 7, 2014, 02:45 PM   #18
nate_g_2003

Thanks kilamanjaro. I figured one could, but work blocks most firearm-related websites and blogs, so I wasn't able to find the answer myself.
Old May 7, 2014, 06:57 PM   #19
sprouticus

Keep shooting.com has repro K31 magazines for $45 a piece, or $40 each if you buy three.

The reviews for them look pretty good.

I have bought lots of stuff from those guys in the past.
Generally good prices and the review feature is neat.

The reviews help a lot when looking at the milsurp clothing, as far as getting the proper size.

http://www.keepshooting.com/schmidt-...-magazine.html