The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 28, 2001, 07:19 PM   #1
Kestrel

Replacing 870 Slug Barrel Sights?

I have a 20 or 21" barrel for my 870 that has rifle sights on it. They are too high for me. When I throw the gun up to shoot, I have to then move my head up to align the sights.

I have this for HD and would like a lower, more simple, more robust sight setup.

Does anyone know of a company that makes replacement sights for this barrel? I would like a solution that I can simply swap out.

Thanks for any help,
Steve
Old November 28, 2001, 08:12 PM   #2
9mmMike

Wow. I have the exact opposite problem. I have a rifle-sighted 870 that has a Monte Carlo stock. That stock places my head so high that I can not see through the rear sight.
I will be putting a set of old police trade-in stocks (that I am refinishing) on to fix that.
Perhaps you might want to look into an MC stock. They're fairly cheap and certainly fill the requirement of "easy swap".
Good luck,
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old November 29, 2001, 06:18 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Why don't you guys swap stocks(G)?....

Seriously, Steve, how about making your cheek weld a little lower on your face? I cheek my 870 TB trap tool high, right up under the cheek bone, but my standard stocks are cheeked a bit lower.

IOW, shoot with more of a heads up stance. It sounds like you "Crawl" the stock a bit too much.

Make SURE your 870's EMPTY,then practice mounting it at home and groove the new weld in. Bet it works, unless your physiognomy is quite far from median.