The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 11, 2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Trebor

A look at the April 11, 1986 FBI Miami shootout 27 years later

Here's my latest Michigan Firearms Examiner article. I wrote a summary of the April 11, 1986 FBI Miami shootout. I made sure to include all the links I could find for people who want to know more, including links to the Gunzone page, official FBI report, a couple survivor interviews, and the little-seen FBI training film "Firefight," along with some other stuff. I'm not claiming to be an expert on this, but if you want to learn about it, this should give you your one-stop shopping.

A look at the 1986 FBI Miami shootout 27 years later

"On April 11, 1986, two FBI Special Agents were killed and five others wounded in a gun battle with two heavily armed killers in what would come to be known as the “FBI Miami shootout.”

What started as a surveillance operation would end in one of the most intense law enforcement gunfights in U.S. history. In about four minutes over 140 rounds would be fired and four men would be killed. In addition five of the six surviving FBI agents would be wounded."
Providing instruction in Metro Detroit & Lansing areas.
Old April 11, 2013, 01:07 PM   #2
twobit

Gee that was 27 years ago? Man I'm getting old! I remember that and remember studying it in the police academy. Some of the dead agents had policed their spent revolver brass. It was in their pockets. They had trained at the range to always pocket their spend brass as they reloaded so that is what they automatically did in the gunfight without thinking about it.

Last edited by twobit; April 11, 2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old April 11, 2013, 04:41 PM   #3
shouldazagged

Nice job, well written.
Old April 11, 2013, 06:40 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Never ends...

The 1986 FBI Miami Florida shoot-out was a major event in American law enforcement. Author and use of force expert; Massad Ayoob constantly brings it up in gun press articles. The most recent in a Guns and Weapons For Law Enforcement, where he discussed wounded officer/long gun use.

The NBC TV film with Michael Gross & David Soul(which included some of the real FBI special agents in the firefight) was worth viewing too.
Actor Michael Gross later stated he got a strong interest in firearms & shooting sports from the TV project.
People in Florida still bring up the topic re; calibers, concealed carry, duty weapons, etc.

CF
www.imfdb.org