The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 22, 2013, 09:50 PM   #26
Dragline45

Quote:
100% agree. I wish more people understood this. If the majority of folks stopped bulk buying the shelves would start having ammo again. And I really don't understand the sentiment in the first place. Not like anyone is even talking about banning ammunition.
You are completely right, although we live in a time where ALOT of people just don't think rationally anymore. Some people actually think zombies are going to attack and as a result are stockpiling ammo and guns. Others just think the world is going to plain end and society will collapse and want to live out their Mad Max fantasy, so again they are stockpiling guns and ammo. Rationalizing with these people is not an option, because they are just not rational thinking people. Their kids are going to be happy as hell when they inherit a safe full of mint guns that have barely been shot and pallets full of ammo from 40 years previous.

Most of us on here are casual shooters. We have ammo put aside to shoot so we don't have to drive to the store or reload a bunch of ammo every time we go to the range. I like to keep a couple hundred rounds for each caliber put aside for exactly what is happening now, and am thankful I did.
Old February 23, 2013, 12:25 PM   #27
pax

< Moderator Hat >

Please get back on topic, folks. The question was for trainers: Have you changed your ammo policies as a result of the current shortage?

Thanks.

</ Moderator Hat >

pax
Old February 23, 2013, 06:02 PM   #28
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Back on topic and my answer is no. I always had my trainees do most of their shooting with 22's till they get to a certain level of competence and then only enough centerfire loads to get a handshake acquaintance with the exercise and then back to 22.

Part of it has always been cost because I don't have any rich shooters and part of it is I stress marksmanship first foremost and always right after safety, no chest thumping magnumitis in my classes because my shooters tend to be new shooters and often women shooters.

Haven't had any classes since last fall so the program wasn't affected but I have a class starting next Saturday and fortunately I have a good supply of 22 on hand.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 24, 2013, 06:53 PM   #29
1-DAB

1000 rounds?

think i'd look for different training.

if you are just rolling around in the dirt and firing from different positions, you could do that with a bb gun, or just yell 'bang'.

seems like a pointless use of ammo to me.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:21 AM   #30
Glenn E. Meyer

I'd disagree with that - the reps are needed for recoil control and habituation to the noise, etc.

I do practice with a SIRT. In fact, FOF with airsoft and SIRTS are quite reasonable. But we do need the ammo.

A long time ago and I can't find it again, I read a study where they compared training with 22s and transitioning to 38s (similar SW revolvers) vs. just starting the 38s and found no difference. Whether this is true - I don't know and haven't seen it since.

I start folks with a 22 first. Don't want to go off subject, Kathy. Just wanted to respond to the need for ammo.
Old February 26, 2013, 02:44 PM   #31
seeker_two

Quote:
A long time ago and I can't find it again, I read a study where they compared training with 22s and transitioning to 38s (similar SW revolvers) vs. just starting the 38s and found no difference. Whether this is true - I don't know and haven't seen it since.
I see one difference....training with thousands of rounds of .22lr is far more economically feasible than using thousands of rounds of centerfire ammo. Less wear & tear on your carry gun, too.
Old February 26, 2013, 03:10 PM   #32
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
I see one difference....training with thousands of rounds of .22lr is far more economically feasible than using thousands of rounds of centerfire ammo. Less wear & tear on your carry gun, too.
Especially when you are training rookies and the department doesn't furnish training ammo. It took some convincing but eventually I had all my regulars shooting 22's, some pistol some revolver and it didn't make a lick of difference. A few sessions with their duty gun over the course and when it came time to qualify they all scored high and one just missed high score for the department by 1 point. The man who beat him was the chief deputy and former trainer and he got his extra point with a head shot.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--