The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 1, 2013, 06:39 PM   #26
CWKahrFan

For hiking I say go polymer rather than metal just because of the weight factor... You can get a Ruger SR40c for just a tad over $400 on a good day.
They're very versatile 'cause they can be carried as EITHER a compact OR full-size... Like having two guns for the price of one.
Old February 1, 2013, 08:24 PM   #27
Rifleman1952

In the hot & humid environment of the swamps of Florida, I think it best to stick with either polymer and/or stainless steel, which ever handgun you choose. It sounds like you are leaning more towards personal protection against two legged predators than four legged. In that case, Smith & Wesson Airweight J-frames in .38 special have been available for under $400 new. My neighbor purchased a new one last summer for $349 plus tax. Smith & Wesson revolvers are pretty well made, and it's hard to beat that price in a new, quality level handgun.