The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2013, 10:10 AM   #1
rlc323

New Member Soaking Up Knowledge Here

I have been lurking here for a while and finally decided to join in. This forum has some good information, many questions of mine have been answered just by reading through. I also like that most people who post here do so without some of the baloney that is common in some other places. Thanks for that.

New guy here as far as metallic, I have reloaded 12ga. shotgun for trapshooting for over 30 years. So far I have bought the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Kit from Midway for $319 and we are getting along nicely. Many here recommend it and they are right, it makes a fine press to start on and holds its value well. The kit has been selling on ebay for over $400, which is too much, so be sure to shop around.

I already had some things that I needed to get started like my Dillon scale, calipers, Clays, Red Dot, Titegroup, and a few Hornaday dies I inherited from my Uncle. So the 505 scale went on ebay and made the kit an even better deal.

I am used to grinding out lots of shells on my Mec Grabber so all the steps with this seem slow. But I know to be patient and careful with this new territory. The best part of this is that since I live in the country I can load a round, take 20 steps and shoot it at my "private range" out back. Trap loads have to wait until I get to the gunclub and warmer weather.

Again, thanks for all who post here with their good information in this "no BS zone."
Old January 25, 2013, 10:54 AM   #2
serf 'rett

Welcome to the forum.

I do like my Rock Chucker kit. My two upgrades were getting a small cylinder for the Uniflow, since I'm just loading pistol currently, and getting the Hornady bushing kit which allows rapid die changes along with mostly a "set and forget" die adjustment.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:02 AM   #3
AllenJ

I got my Rockchucker in the late 70's and it is still going strong today, it's the only single stage press I have ever used. You made a good purchase IMHO.
Old January 25, 2013, 03:48 PM   #4
g.willikers

I'd druther have your backyard range.
Old January 25, 2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Sevens

Quote:
The best part of this is that since I live in the country I can load a round, take 20 steps and shoot it at my "private range" out back.
You truly are living the handloader's dream.
For me, load development isn't quite as easy and I'm sure that I don't spend the total amount of time that I could in your position when it comes to developing loads. Because the bulk of what I do is handgun loading, I know that it truly isn't necessary to split hairs looking for the tiniest blip of (perceived) "accuracy" in a load, but I might be chasing that down a wee bit more if I could do my load development at home.

This is something I've learned to live with after many years of producing very good handloads, but it's a TOUGH nugget to get a new handloader to swallow. Like, well, anyone getting started on a new project, they'd love to simply make 100 or 500 of a handload when they think they've got the process figured out... but without solid range testing (in a few different ways, I might add!) then I've found that it's, well, a little bit nutbar to produce HUNDREDS of something (or more?!) until you are certain that you've nailed it down as a "go-to" load.

Having a place to try them just outside the door of your load bench is, as I said... The Dream!

Welcome to our forum.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:11 PM   #6
rlc323

Hey, thanks for the nice welcome. Thanks for the tip on the Hornaday system I will look into that.

Living this far from a town you take the good with the bad. 15 miles to the nearest gas station, grocery store, or hospital. Nearest retail reloading shop with any quantity of supplies is 70 miles. But plenty of peace and quiet out here. My nearest neighbor is about 3/4 of a mile off and he shoots a muzzleloader from time to time so no complaints from the neighbors.

My ground backs up to the bluff here so I have a natural bullet trap about 1/2mile wide and gradually rising to 200 feet tall.