The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 24, 2013, 05:23 PM   #1
Sladage

FN Hi-Power Value

Interested in seeing the value of this Hi-Power. My father purchased this right after Vietnam was over from someone in Louisiana. It was given to me back in 2009 by my father and over lunch today we were talking about the value of this gun and what it could be sold for in today's market. We look forward to any help. Thanks!

Old January 24, 2013, 06:20 PM   #2
RickB

That's an old gun. I think FN/Browning changed to an external extractor on the Hi-Power in 1961.
It appears to be "heavily refinished", with the edges softened, holes dished, etc. That really hurts the value. I'd say maybe $400, and that's only because Hi-Powers are getting scarce.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:49 PM   #3
WVsig

I agree the pistol has been heavily refinished. It is been reduced to a shooter but the problem with that is that the internal extractors are no longer being made and they are prone to breakage.

I would say it is worth between $400 and $500 depending on how smoothed out the pistol is.

Here are some pics tp give you an idea of what it originally looked like.

Old January 24, 2013, 08:07 PM   #4
TunnelRat

^ That's purdy . What camera do you use? You always have awesome pictures.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 25, 2013, 08:14 AM   #5
Skans

I have a C-series Hi-Power - from about '71. Does anyone know when they started putting the serial number on the front grip portion of the frame, instead of the side? Also, I noticed an indent on the right side of the slide of the OP's gun - what was that for?
Old January 25, 2013, 09:12 AM   #6
AndyWest

I wondered that too, Skans, if you're talking about that pinky-sized half bowl. Takedown aid?
Old January 25, 2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Sladage

Thanks for the replies and comments. I checked with my father who said the gun was never refinished or anything like that unless the previous owner did something. The gun pictured looks great but I believe its a newer Hi-Power than the one I posted. There are some differences along the lines of branding and appearance, but have no idea if that makes a difference with the value. Thanks for your input/
Old January 25, 2013, 05:43 PM   #8
WVsig

Quote:
Thanks for the replies and comments. I checked with my father who said the gun was never refinished or anything like that unless the previous owner did something. The gun pictured looks great but I believe its a newer Hi-Power than the one I posted. There are some differences along the lines of branding and appearance, but have no idea if that makes a difference with the value. Thanks for your input/
The gun I posted pictures of is a pre-t commerical gun made in about 1962/1963. Your gun new would have looked a lot like the one I posted. Minus the intent on the slide which is a thumb print which was there to help facilitate disassemble. It was removed around 1961 IIRC.

My gun has a different rollmark because it a Browning commerical gun sold in the US. Your gun has a FN Herstal rollmark but all the other features are the same. Same sights, same grips, same internal extractor, same grip safety etc... Except for that thumb print they are essential the same gun.

This is a bit more accurate picture of what yours looked like before refinishing. Notice how clean and crisp the lines of the gun are compared to yours. It is which are muted. The other tell that it has been refinished is the lettering. It is not as deep and clear as it is on the gun below.

If you can post better pics we can tell you more but from what I can see the gun has been refinished by someone which greatly diminishes its collector value. Nothing wrong with a good old HP shooter but it is what it is. IMHO a $400 to $500. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by WVsig; January 25, 2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:05 PM   #9
Walt Sherrill

I wonder if that gun wasn't just over-polished when it was reblued, but whether somebody CONSCIOUSLY tried to "melt" the sharp edges -- as it looks much more rounded in some areas than would be the case if it was just a heavy hand with the polishing wheel... (The area above the grip and the hammer look MORE polished and rounded than arguably would occur if it was just being polished and reblued.)

I suspect the "melting" was done intentionally, and I've seen some nice 1911s done that way, then reblued, and folks here RAVED about how well they looked!!

I have a nearly original T-series, so I know how a STOCK weapon should look. That said, I think the OP's gun is a nice looking BHP.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:12 PM   #10
WVsig

Quote:
I wonder if that gun wasn't just over-polished when it was reblued, but whether somebody CONSCIOUSLY tried to "melt" the sharp edges -- as it looks much more rounded in some areas than would be the case if it was just a heavy hand with the polishing wheel... (The area above the grip and the hammer look MORE polished and rounded than arguably would occur if it was just being polished and reblued.)

I suspect the "melting" was done intentionally, and I've seen some nice 1911s done that way, then reblued, and folks here RAVED about how well they looked!!

I have a nearly original T-series, so I know how a STOCK weapon should look. That said, I think the OP's gun is a nice looking BHP.
I agree that it looks sort of like a melt job which does not look bad but I am willing to bet there was rust or pitting on the gun which prompted the refinish. I think the gun still looks pretty good but any refinish will effect its collector value. Original finish and condition is what really bumps up the value of these older guns. If it was not refinished it would be closer to a $700 to $1000+ gun depending on what other original parts came with it. The second gun I post pics of which is not mine I would rate closer to that $1000 range.

The OPs questions was not how does my Hi Power look but instead what is my Hi power worth... LOL

Last edited by WVsig; January 26, 2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old January 25, 2013, 06:54 PM   #11
Walt Sherrill

Good comments.

My point was that the gun wasn't necessarily a botched refinishing job, as some thought, but a nicely customized gun.

I agree with the $500 +/- price some folks have suggested, but some non-collectors might find that gun attractive and be willing to pay that amount or a bit more, for it. (A used SIG 9mm 226 or 228, etc., would be an alternative, and they often sell for at least as much.)
Old January 25, 2013, 07:28 PM   #12
RickB

The heavy dishing around the mag release and pin holes, and wavy slide flats indicates ham-handed polishing.
I'd bet on a gun that was lightly, or not-so-lightly rusted, polished enough to remove the pitting.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:35 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

The idea of "melting" a gun is quite recent. I am reasonably sure that the gun in question was rusted and the heavy polishing was needed to remove the rust before rebluing. Such rusting is not uncommon in humid condition, like those in Louisiana (or Vietnam). The functioning of the gun should not be affected, but the value has been reduced considerably.

Jim
Old January 25, 2013, 09:42 PM   #14
WVsig

I tend to agree that it was probable showing signs of rust which prompted the refinishing. It is hard to tell from the pics. More detailed pics would shed more light on why the pistol was refinished and the quality of the job. I still think this BHP was a nice gift for a father to give to a son.
Old January 26, 2013, 01:37 AM   #15
IMtheNRA

It has some VERY soft edges - take a look at the hole in the hammer! In any case, if it is a good shooter, it'll bring at least $500 around here from those not concerned about the extractor.

How does it shoot?
Old January 26, 2013, 04:05 PM   #16
Willie D

Since nothing on the OP's pictures look sharp it makes me wonder if maybe they are just bad pictures?