The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2012, 02:33 PM   #1
kilotanker22

load data and barrel length.

Hello all. Soon I think I will be loading a 300 rum with retumbo powder. I will be using data from hodgdon. I know hodgdon uses a 24 inch test barrel. My rifle will have a 26 inch heavy weight barrel. Would it be safe to assume that with the extra barrel length. I should at least be close to the data manuals speed?
Old November 2, 2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

QuickLOAD thinks that with a 180 grain bullet Retumbo in the large capacity case will add about 66 fps to the 24" barrel data. However, that assumes your chamber and bore are as tight as the test barrel and your freebore is no longer than the test barrel's chamber, none of which is normally true in a mass-produced firearm. So I would not be surprised if your real performance were down around that of the 24" barrel, though occasionally a gun can fool you and go the other way (have a "fast" barrel). So do your load workups while watching for pressure signs.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 2, 2012, 03:08 PM   #3
kilotanker22

unclenick.

I understand the difference in tolerance and free bore. That is why I am assuming like stated earlier I would be very close to published load data.

The only rifle I have ever seen go a little faster is my win model 70 made by fn. It has a chamber tight enough that factory rounds chamber kinda snug.