The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 9, 2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Colonel Custer

once again help with 1891 Mauser

Got a 1891 Argentine Mauser serial number A 2404 can anyone tell me when it was made?

Well I guess I will sleep with a chainsaw next to my bed. Not the same as a gun but I figure the sound of it revving up will be as effective as a pump shot gun being cycled.
Old December 9, 2011, 10:24 PM   #2
gyvel

If I recall, if it has its original, unmodified stock (usually numbered to the gun), there will be a cartouche on the right side of the butt with a date. That is generally the date of manufacture. (As I understand it.)
Old December 10, 2011, 03:18 AM   #3
tater134

Long rifle or carbine? If it is a long rifle that serial number puts the manufacture date at 1892.
Old December 10, 2011, 02:41 PM   #4
meatgrinder42

Tater beat me here... If long rifle it's an 1892 if a carbine it's 1893.
Old December 11, 2011, 06:08 PM   #5
Colonel Custer

Unfortunately someone along the way "sporterised the stock" why anyone would take a piece of history and chop confuses me. It was a long gun at one time with what appeared to be the crest removed. The Engraving states it was made by Loewe in berlin (since this is english i imagine the importer did it lol)
Hmm 1892 cool thanks.

Well I guess I will sleep with a chainsaw next to my bed. Not the same as a gun but I figure the sound of it revving up will be as effective as a pump shot gun being cycled.
Old December 12, 2011, 09:51 AM   #6
meatgrinder42

They imported a lot of these rifles in the 50's/60's as sporting rifles and they were chopped down and had front sights replaced by the companies who bought them, like my deer rifle. The majority I've seen like this have been fairly well done.

The crests were ground off when they were taken from Argentine service and sold. Apparently the story goes that a bunch of rifles were sold and then one day they were found alongside some dead rebels after a firefight and when the crests were discovered on the rifles and people began wondering they started taking the crest off for export.

The Loewe Berlin is from the factory, it's where the rifle was made. It should say, 1891 Argentino Mauser, Manufactura Loewe Berlin. Correct?
Old December 12, 2011, 02:22 PM   #7
carguychris

Quote:
Unfortunately someone along the way "sporterised the stock" why anyone would take a piece of history and chop confuses me.
Here's your basic answer.
Quote:
They imported a lot of these rifles in the 50's/60's as sporting rifles and they were chopped down and had front sights replaced by the companies who bought them, like my deer rifle.
^^^This. Imagine a world where your choices in a new hunting rifle are a new Marlin or Winchester lever rifle for $450 and up or a new Remington or Winchester bolt rifle for $700 and up. However, your local hardware store has unmodified Argentines for $75; there are about 20 of them stuffed into a 55-gal drum, muzzle down, all basically identical. The background check consists of "Hey buddy, you got the sevenny-five bucks?" You can also pick up your new issue of American Rifleman and mail-order nicely dressed-up ones for $200, no license required.

Welcome to 1962 (figures adjusted for inflation).

If you were making a working man's salary, which would you pick, and would you even think about the fact that the unmodified hardware store gun would be worth preserving for some collector 50 years from now?
Old December 15, 2011, 07:19 AM   #8
gyvel

Quote:
^^^This. Imagine a world where your choices in a new hunting rifle are a new Marlin or Winchester lever rifle for $450 and up or a new Remington or Winchester bolt rifle for $700 and up. However, your local hardware store has unmodified Argentines for $75; there are about 20 of them stuffed into a 55-gal drum, muzzle down, all basically identical. The background check consists of "Hey buddy, you got the sevenny-five bucks?" You can also pick up your new issue of American Rifleman and mail-order nicely dressed-up ones for $200, no license required.

Welcome to 1962 (figures adjusted for inflation).
Except in 1962, a Winchester or Marlin was about $75.00 and the Argies were around $19.95. In those days, long before "collectormania" set in, they were just surplus "junk," highly suitable for making a cheap sporter.

I can remember going to Century Arms' Miami outlet in 1966 and getting my pick of the rack unissued 1895 Chilean Mauser 7mm for $29.95.

Lee-Enfields sold for $9.95-$14.95, Carcanos were about $8.00 at your local Army-Navy surplus store, a Luger could be had for $39.95, etc. etc.
Old December 17, 2011, 08:16 AM   #9
Colonel Custer

Yep meatgrinder you are correct. I guess you guys are right about the sporterising thing, but it would be like putting dual exhaust and a lift kit on a model T.

Old December 18, 2011, 07:06 AM   #10
meatgrinder42

Quote:
but it would be like putting dual exhaust and a lift kit on a model T
Then you would probably die if you saw the 3 window Ford Coupe in my old man's garage... No lift kit but it's been chopped, and rodded pretty hard. He started it in the 70's when you could get the bodies for about $150.
Old December 18, 2011, 08:13 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Except in 1962, a Winchester or Marlin was about $75.00 and the Argies were around $19.95. In those days, long before "collectormania" set in, they were just surplus "junk," highly suitable for making a cheap sporter."

That's why he said "adjusted for inflation."

The dollar figures are roughly comparable.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 19, 2011, 12:38 AM   #12
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Except in 1962, a Winchester or Marlin was about $75.00 and the Argies were around $19.95. In those days, long before "collectormania" set in, they were just surplus "junk," highly suitable for making a cheap sporter.

I can remember going to Century Arms' Miami outlet in 1966 and getting my pick of the rack unissued 1895 Chilean Mauser 7mm for $29.95.

Lee-Enfields sold for $9.95-$14.95, Carcanos were about $8.00 at your local Army-Navy surplus store, a Luger could be had for $39.95, etc. etc.
Yep, bought a new in cosmoline No 5 Jungle Carbine in 1964 for $35. Sure wish I hadn't traded it now!!! Hence the sig line below.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!