The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2011, 12:52 PM   #1
ash1978

Lee turret for .270 winchester

Been looking around for some first hand experience with people reloading with the lee classic 4 station turret press for the .270 Winchester. So I figured I'd throw it out there. What kind of experiences have any of you had with it? How did you set up for it "auto" or not? Any major shortcomings of the press for the round? What kinda dies did you go after and how did you stage them.

As i've said in earlier posts I'm new to the game so I'm looking to confirm/adjust some if my visualizations on what I'm planning to set up.

Thanks all.

Ash
Old August 1, 2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Doodlebugger45

When I got my Classic Turret, I was amazed at how much faster and easier it was to load for my pistols. Naturally, I tried it for all my rifles as well. No doubt it is capable of loading accurate ammo for rifles too. Mine did. I loaded .243, .270 WMS, 7 mm mag, .308, and .325 WSM on mine.

Them main advantage I found was having all the dies mounted in one place without having to screw them back in each time.

But that's not really much of a time saver. Also, I did try priming on the press during the resizing operation. That also saves a bit of time, but I finally decided I didn't really like that. I prefer priming for rifles with my hand primer.

Basically, I discovered I was doing everything in single stage mode anyway and the time saving was minimal if any. I didn't like the feel of sizing for the larger cases like the 7 mm mag. When you raise the ram up, there is a small but constant amount of movement with the turret head relative to the press frame. I didn't like that. And it didn't give me as much leverage in sizing compared to my single stage Redding Big Boss.

I did sort of compromise though and left all my rifle seating dies installed on a couple of turret heads. That way they are all in one place at least. And it seats the bullets just as accurately as the single stage.

If that's the only press you have, there's no need to fret, it will do just fine for any rifle cartridge. But there's no real benefit to the turret for loading rifles assuming you are going to trim each case anyway. Yeah, IF you neck size only AND the cases don't need trimming, AND are comfortable priming on the press AND use the rifle charging die, it can be used in the auto advance mode and save some time.
Old August 1, 2011, 04:28 PM   #3
bobnob

G'day Mate,

I am using the exact same press with the 270. As our friend said above, I just use it in single stage mode and make advantage of not having to screw dies in and out. It works just fine though and I am turning out good quality ammo for the 270, 308 and 45-70.

Agree re the shortcomings of a little lack of positivity with the stroke, but for what is costs it does a great job.

You will turn out heaps of good rounds with it, stick with it.