The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 18, 2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Artmiester

FOX Model B spruce-up help

I'm in the process of sprucing-up a Fox Model B, twin trigger, Double Barreled (26") 20 ga shot gun my buddy gave me to use for Cowboy action (his father's bird gun). Must be an earlier model (no serial no.) and has a mallard scene in front of the trigger guard instead of a fox. 40's, maybe? This little baby is in sweet condition aside from a very small amount of spotty rust on the trigger guard and barrels. I have completely disassembled it, thoroughly cleaned and polished everything, and reassembled it reversing the triggers for speed. I'm now rubbing a new tongue oil finish into the walnut stock (beautiful grain). I have left all use markings on the stock and fore-grip (very light) except for a small pressure dent which I ironed out.
It now looks almost collector's grade except for the action. It appears to be case hardened steel (not color case) that had been blued at one time. The triggers are also bright stainless. If it was indeed blued most of the bluing has worn off to the point of maybe 3% bluing left where the barrels meet the action and on top between rear of the barrel and breaking lever (which is blued). The rest of the action is steel color with a very light swirled mottling that looks like case hardening with the exception of some blotchy stains that look like rust, maybe 40%.
How can I bring the finish back? I don't want to go to bluing cold or hot as this would ruin it's collectability. Can I use Bluing and Rust remover on case hardened steel and still preserve the finish? I can provide pictures if necessary. Any help greatly appreciated.
Old January 18, 2010, 12:29 PM   #2
ebutler462

Fox Bs are not now nor ever will be collector's items. They are decent hunting guns, a dressed up 311.

I would use it just like it is. You have a $400 gun, at most. Use it and forget about restoring it. It ain't worth it.
Old January 18, 2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

Where to start?
It's "tung" oil.
The triggers are not stainless.
The action was color case hardened. It has worn off. You can't bring it back.
Blue & rust remover is used to "REMOVE" the finish-as it says on the label.
Old January 18, 2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Artmiester

Thanks, Bill

I know it's only a $400 gun and not a collectable. Just refering to it's condition. I would like to use blue and rust remover to take off the remaining bluing and rust, which, I thought was my original question. So, Thanks. The only reason I'm dorking around with it is to do something nice for a friend. Sorry about the "tongue", I was hungry at the time.
Old January 18, 2010, 07:24 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

If you use the remover, you will remove the remaining finish. Then you will have bare steel. I would suggest 0000 steel wool and WD 40 to remove the rust.