Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 21, 2009, 03:21 PM   #1
SAIGAFISH

grouse time

what is the golden hour for grouse I have found it is definatly not early
in the morning any thoughts new to grouse hunting on purpose my dad
and i used to bring some home from winter stealhead trips when i was a kid
he is one of those guy,s who can shoot the head of with a 22 pistol
up to like 50 or so feet those were insedental crossings.
Old September 21, 2009, 08:52 PM   #2
SAIGAFISH

come on back

any grouse hunters out there
Old September 21, 2009, 10:37 PM   #3
SAIGAFISH

yes no
Old September 22, 2009, 12:47 AM   #4
Scorch

I would say early, just at light is about the best time to hunt grouse. They get up and move out onto the roads to get grit right as the sky starts to lighten, and I just sneak down the roads and shoot them in the eye when they look at me. If it's raining, they will sit just off the road under some cover and wait until it stops raining to move into the open.
Old September 22, 2009, 04:45 AM   #5
darkgael

Grouse

Grouse. I've been waiting all year for the season to open here in PA. A bit more to wait - Oct. 17.
Then it'll be into the huckleberries and Autumn olives on top of North Mt., walking the game trails near Beech Lake. It'll be about nine in the morning. The dog will be quartering, collar beeping. Sooner or later, she'll stop, the beep will quicken and we'll come up behind her. There will be a whoosh and whirr when a feathered rocket pops out of the bush. There will follow the bang of a trusty old Ithaca or maybe a LeFever SXS. And then....

No .22s here in PA. Shotguns only.
Pete
Old September 22, 2009, 04:55 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
There will be a whoosh and whirr when a feathered rocket pops out of the bush. There will follow the bang of a trusty old Ithaca or maybe a LeFever SXS. And then....
And then... If it is me, the bird will fly off unharmed, the bulldog will yelp like a sissy and head for the truck...
Brent
Old September 22, 2009, 05:18 AM   #7
shortwave

Quote:
...the bulldog will yelp like a sissy and head for the truck...
hogdogs, may I suggest that some dog training is in order here! Catch one of those hogs and attach a bunch of feathers to his butt and a pecker(beak) to its snout,turn em loose. Take the dog out and hunt him..
Old September 22, 2009, 05:26 AM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The bulldog I speak of will retrieve any game but "soft mouth" she is not Actually the critter will be pretty much puree by the time you get it from her...
Brent
Old September 22, 2009, 07:27 AM   #9
roy reali

Question?

Is there such a thing as a grouse call? I've asked at several sporting goods stores and no one has ever heard of one. I wonder if they even exist.
Old September 22, 2009, 11:50 AM   #10
darkgael

call

Quote:
Is there such a thing as a grouse call?
Maybe you'll have to learn to drum.
Always sounds a bit like a chainsaw starting up a ways away.....maybe carry one of them?
Pete
Old September 22, 2009, 01:30 PM   #11
Scorch

Actually, grouse do call during the nesting season. It is a single-note call, sounds kind of like a woodpecker call. Outside of nesting season, though, they do not call to other grouse. And no, I do not know why. But I think it would be interesting to see someone out there in the woods, perched on a log thumping his chest. Or maybe not.
Old September 22, 2009, 06:52 PM   #12
roy reali

re;darkgael

Quote:
Always sounds a bit like a chainsaw starting up a ways away.....maybe carry one of them?
Electric or gas powered?
Old September 22, 2009, 09:06 PM   #13
darkgael

grouse

Gas, fer sure. Just those first few putts before it really starts to growl.
P
Old September 23, 2009, 12:54 AM   #14
wyobohunter

Quote:
I would say early, just at light is about the best time to hunt grouse. They get up and move out onto the roads to get grit right as the sky starts to lighten, and I just sneak down the roads and shoot them in the eye when they look at me. If it's raining, they will sit just off the road under some cover and wait until it stops raining to move into the open.
+1

Also look for them wherever berries can be found, esp. if cover is close by. I think the most fun is for 2 people to hunt together. One has a .22 & the other has a shotgun. If the bird flushes the shotgun has dibs, if it sits the .22 sniper has at it. Usually I don't go with others so it's the 12 gauge for me... flying or sitting I'd rather get em on the wing but will not pass on one who flies up in a tree and refuses to budge.
Old September 23, 2009, 01:11 AM   #15
SAIGAFISH

lovin it

I have had alot of fun grouse hunting this year and i have also found a few
great spots to hunt deer and a huge elk wallow and srape not
much luck yet though.i finally sent in for the state stamp
here in oregon you pay for the stamp and they validate your
license and you dont get the neet stamp unless send in for it.
and i,am hunting with a 22lr 410 over/under so i have both options
ground or flight although it requires preety good shooting to hit them flying with the 410 but its fun and its the only shot gun i have my grandpa,s old
stevans
Old September 23, 2009, 06:43 AM   #16
roy reali

re:Scorch

Quote:
Shooting from a road requires careful study of hunting regulations. I don't about Washington, but even here the road regulations are confusing to say the least. I know that in California shooting anywhere near a road is a no-no. I just want others to make sure they check their local regulations regarding shooting from or near roads.

Quote:
Firing Firearm from/over Roads (NRS 503.175)
Unless a greater penalty is provided in NRS 202.287, a person who
discharges a firearm from, upon, over or across any federal highway,
state highway as described in NRS 408.285, or main or general county
road as designated in NRS 403.170, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
I included a copy of Nevada's road shooting law.

Last edited by roy reali; September 23, 2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old September 23, 2009, 11:26 AM   #17
Scorch

roy-
You are absolutely right about firing "from, upon, along, or across" federal, state, or county highways, or main roads. Not too many grouse out along federal, state, or county highways, or main roads. Some, but not many. Grouse are hunted in forests, and I was referring to logging roads or trails. The roads I hunt on are pretty rough trails, mostly overgrown, although a determined soul can drive a 4X4 along some of them. And you are right about the laws being confusing about shooting around roads. In some cases, the laws are not even in agreement, so make sure you know the laws before shooting.
Old September 23, 2009, 11:30 AM   #18
wyobohunter

Finding them on the road doesn't mean shooting them on or from the road. Once they are located they can be spooked into the timber and hunted legally. Also, it doesn't have to be much of a road. Any trail or beach/stream bed with lots of little grit rocks will do.
Old September 23, 2009, 10:11 PM   #19
Gbro

Quote:
The roads I hunt on are pretty rough trails, mostly overgrown, although a determined soul can drive a 4X4 along some of them. And you are right about the laws being confusing about shooting around roads. In some cases, the laws are not even in agreement, so make sure you know the laws before shooting.
Our small game season opened last Saturday and my grandson and I did a little hunting on forest trails. One was a snowmobile trail with signs stating only snowmobile. The trail was obviously use by many ATV's. I bumped into our local Conservation officer staking out the trail on the 1st bend. being on foot resulted in a nice visit.
4 flushes and no birds, but a nice time w/ lunch over a fire.
We are getting our summer now and it was 80 (f) and way to much cover.
Late afternoon along trails is good as is 3-10 year old poplar.
On a frosty morning east-west trails are productive especially if there is clover in abundance.

Our shooting regulations allow for shooting small game from a public roadway. Its sure not how i hunt, but some can't hike the forest.
Old September 23, 2009, 10:54 PM   #20
SAIGAFISH

blocked of old log roads

we walk up alblocked of old logging roads and the law in oregon
i believe says route road or numbered road witch these old logging roads are not they have large rock piles and ditches nolonger a functioning road
its still there but its not a road and one of my favorie roads to walk
is a large loop inbetween two bridges that washed out about ten years
ago so that is also not a functional road most of them are down to trail size
with gravel still exposed
Old September 25, 2009, 04:41 PM   #21
Slats

Been doing alot of grouse hunting since our season opened at the beginning of September. Although, up here when the time is right it's so thick with the buggers you can barely call it hunting. More like, drive down the road 5 minutes, see a group of a dozen, blast as many as possible before they scatter, drive another 5 minutes and repeat.

As for the time of day it seems the first 4 hours after sunrise are the money hours. After that it drops off considerably, although I have taken them at all times throughout the day. They do seem to prefer the crisp clear days.

Happy Hunting. I'll be out bright and early tomorrow trying my luck.
Old October 1, 2009, 10:35 PM   #22
SAIGAFISH

time to change gears

hey guys thanks for the tips now its time to get all over
the salmon starting to hit the sandy river .time to fill the freezer
with salmon and hopefully some stealhead . i have to get reddy
for an anuall salmon fishing derby heaviest fish wins last years winner walked with over 500 bucks top three all get money for only a 40 dollar entry
Old October 3, 2009, 12:38 PM   #23
darkgael

lust

Quote:
lthough, up here when the time is right it's so thick with the buggers you can barely call it hunting.
Yeah, I'm jealous. In the PA uplands where I hunt, the average sighting for a hunter looking for grouse is about one an hour. That's from PA Game commission research and it fit pretty well with my own experience.
And....no rifles. shotguns only.
Pete
Old October 11, 2009, 06:59 PM   #24
James R. Burke

I myself prefer early in the morning, and right before dusk. Just myself I like right before dusk the best, but that is just me.
Old October 11, 2009, 07:20 PM   #25
mayosligo

Quail

Like quail late morning and early afternoon when it is crisp. Unfortunately the Louisiana Quail population struggles to make it back.