The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 1999, 10:10 PM   #1
Brian King

I searched through the past 30 days worth of topics and didn't find any to answer my question so forgive me if this has been a recent discussion.

I have a new .30-06 rifle which I am going to reload for. My best friend and I recently loaded 25 rounds for starters and he recommended not crimping them. He does not crimp any of his handloads and I have read where others follow that policy as well. I guess I was always under the assumption that crimping was necessary to keep the bullet in place. Now I've learned that uncrimped rounds provide better accuracy.

I am curious as to what some of you folks do and whether the accuracy claim is true or is crimping merely a matter of personal preference. Is there any danger of the bullet coming loose or being shoved into the casing?

Thanks,
Brian
Old October 5, 1999, 10:33 PM   #2
GreybeardB

Brian, the choice is yours to crimp or not.
It depends on a few circumstances.
If yours is a single shot..... no magazine, then there's no need to crimp.
Generely speaking, if it's a simi auto or tube magazine,you must crimp.
If the firearm has a box or clip magazine and your firing hot rounds, heavy recoil rounds, or moly coated bullets, then crimping is advisable.
When in doubt.... crimp, Use Lee's Factory Crimp Die.... it may improve accuracy.

------------------
Ralph in In.

Old October 6, 1999, 08:41 AM   #3
10mmrules

The crimp is of course to hold the bullet in place. the Less crimp you have on the bullet, the more accurate it is tho. so use as little crimp as possible and remain functional. (also more crimp, more pressure.)

------------------
10MM Magnum.... tried the rest, now I got the best
Old October 6, 1999, 02:37 PM   #4
pbash

I reload for a 30-06 bolt action and an AR15. I've never crimped any of these rounds and see no reason why I should. If your reloading dies provide sufficient neck tension, and all the major brands I've tried seem to, there is no reason why a crimp would be desirable. To test this, load up a real or dummy round. Measure the over-all length then chamber it as you normally would. Now extract it and measure the OAL again. If its shorter, crimp your rounds. If not, don't sweat it.

[This message has been edited by pbash (edited October 06, 1999).]
Old October 6, 1999, 10:19 PM   #5
Reddog

You shouldn't need a crimp on a 30/06. In fact most rifle bullets don't even have a cannelure. Neck tension should hold the bullet. I've been loading rifle ammo for 40 years and never cgimp a jacketed bullet. I've always felt the cannelured bullets didn't make sense anyway, because the cannelure might not be in the right place anyway, depending on what cartridge you are reloading. Maybe they make sense for use in a tubular magazine, but even then I'm not sure. Reddog
Old October 7, 1999, 02:23 PM   #6
Brian King

I appreciate the feedback and suggestions! My rifle is a bolt action and we performed the test that pbash mentioned (measuring the OAL) with that first batch of reloads. The length stayed the same.

You folks have cleared some things up for me. Thanks again!

-Brian