The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 2, 2010, 01:05 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

Quote:
...and I just busted my impact puller, LOL! Well, I bought it used on eBay (and it had something that looked like chicken poop all over it, and it looked like it had been used as a framing hammerr it when it arrived, I am NOT kidding) so its origin/abuse record is unknown...

I'll likely get another (new) and see how long it lasts.
Most of them have a lifetime warranty. Call the company, and see if they'll replace it.
Old August 2, 2010, 04:01 PM   #27
Uncle Buck

I put a small piece of foam inside mine when I am removing bullets and have always been able to reuse them.

I just pulled seven from my .357 reloads. When I am setting up my seater die I like to use the un-primed brass in order to set the bullet seating depth/crimping. Then once everything is set, I head out to the back porch and whack away on a piece of wood with the bullet puller.
Old August 2, 2010, 06:30 PM   #28
wncchester

The surface we strike with an impact puller is important for good results and long life. I seem to have stumbled on the ideal surface for that. Some years ago I had to use a 3" hole saw on some 1/2" thick poly "cutting board" from the wifes kitchen supplies.

Later I counter drilled the 1/4" center hole so a flat head machine screw would be wlll below the surface. I have an 18" section of 2x6" channel iron on my bench for a press mount, it raises the press a bit and puts it about 3" forward of the bench edge, exactly as I want it. I then mounted my powder measure bench stand on the real end of the channel and that's working out good too. So, I drilled and tapped a hole for my new moderately hard plastic impact target between the press and measure, it works great to provide cushoning and adds a bit of rebound too.

I hope my new hammer puller lasts longer than my original. I only got about 35 years and God only knows how many uses outta it before the wooden handle snapped off the cheap yellow plastic head.

I've never damaged a pulled bullet. ???
Old August 2, 2010, 06:37 PM   #29
rtpzwms

oneounceload
Quote:
I put a foam earplug in the bottom of the puller to save the bullet tip from getting smashed
I like this idea mind if I do it too....