The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2009, 12:23 PM   #1
Big-O-2

Relaoding CCI Aluminum???

OK I have heard so many time do not reload it. Why not I have some and I want to relaod it and want to know why not? There is so much of it around the range I find it hard to beleive you cannot reload it?

Anyone tried? I am fixing to try it on 45acp.

David
Old April 6, 2009, 12:26 PM   #2
madmo44mag

Well, I never tried but just so I could possibly answer you question I tried.
Will not re-size with enough mouth / case tension to hold the bullet.
Ok, there you have it.
Old April 6, 2009, 12:44 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Why not?

Simple.

Aluminum work hards at a FAR different/faster rate than brass or even mild steel.

Chances are very good that you'll lose a significant number of cases to splits in the resizing/loading process.

Changes are of those that you do successfully load, you'll lose most of the rest during the subsequent firing process.

But, if you're hell bent on reloading aluminum cases, be my guest.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 6, 2009, 12:49 PM   #4
SDC

Mike nailed it; aluminium "work hardens" very quickly, becoming brittle and likely to tear, meaning that it's likely to let go if you reload it. If you take a look at aluminium Blazer ammo, you'll also notice that it uses Berdan primers, with the anvil in the case instead of in the primer, something that CCI uses to specifically discourage reloading these cases. All in all, it's a bad idea; they can be recycled the same way pop cans can be, but they shouldn't be reloaded again.
Old April 6, 2009, 12:57 PM   #5
Scorch

There's an even better reason not to reload it: you can't. Blazer aluminum cases use special-sized Berdan primers made by CCI specifically for the Blazer ammo. The primers are not for sale, so you can't get them, so you can't reload the cases made for those primers.
Old April 6, 2009, 01:00 PM   #6
dlb435

Not a good idea. You can not resize aluminium. It is one time use only. The metal will either fail to hold the shape or crack. Ever try to bend a piece of aluminium? Remember how it broke? Same thing here.
Old April 6, 2009, 01:00 PM   #7
Big-O-2

Actually I have resized them with no problems and the primers for the 45acp are small pistol not large. I agree there might be a chance some may split, but I even factory crimped them with no ill effect. I will not have a chance to fire one till Friday.

But keep the info coming.

David
Old April 6, 2009, 01:07 PM   #8
jaguarxk120

I've reloaded the stuff in the past, PITA. The primers are the same diameter but you have to use a punch ground to punch a hole from the head side and pry the primer out. Use something to knock off the berdan anvil. Then reload, only once though.

After a while CCI changed there drawing process in making the case's and the web thickness is much thinner. If you look into the fired case you will see not the two holes from the berdan primer system but the web is actually blown out and two half moon holes are there.

Pick them up and throw them in the scrap bin for resale at the recyclers with scrap brass. Takes a lot to make a pound though.
Old April 6, 2009, 01:12 PM   #9
Big-O-2

I will see if I can get some pictures of the case. It diffinently is a standard case not the Berdan style, that is what made me think I could posibly reload them. I am all about doing things easy not the hard way.

The info is good about this topic.

David
Old April 6, 2009, 07:54 PM   #10
Lunicy

You can reload aluminum and steel cases. (boxer primed being the easiest).
Steel is a pain to size, and doesn't hold shape well. Also doesn't last very long.
Aluminum is worse than steel in all aspects.

Yes it can be done. I have done both alum and steel.

It isn't worth it. Maybe if it's the end of the world, but other than that, use brass.
Old April 7, 2009, 08:01 AM   #11
Sevens

Quote:
There's an even better reason not to reload it: you can't. Blazer aluminum cases use special-sized Berdan primers made by CCI specifically for the Blazer ammo. The primers are not for sale, so you can't get them, so you can't reload the cases made for those primers.
Actually, this has been the case for years and years, but I've picked through some in my range pickups and found that some of them (not all) are now using boxer primers... at least, they look like boxer, I haven't de-primed any to find out. Either way, single centered flash hole.

For the OP, don't be penny-wise and pound foolish. You are talking about a minuscule little cost compared to the damage to your handgun, magazine and various body parts and bystanders simply for an experiment.

However, if you do decide this is something that you should try, I recommend you go with .40 S&W and a Glock pistol. Afterall, if you are going to blow something up, go for the best bet. Let us know if there's enough case mouth tension with a cheap, re-used aluminum case to keep that pill from setback and ramping your pressure up by 20,000 psi just because you have halfed the internal space.

This is a very, very bad idea.
Old April 7, 2009, 09:31 AM   #12
SL1

The OP is considering trying it with a .45 ACP. That still allows a HUGE pressure increase if the bullet gets set way back by inadequate case tension on the bullet.

It would be less insane to try it with a revolver cartridge, where the escaping gases go out the sides of the gun i front of the recoil shield, rather than down into your hand where it grasps the gun. Still, you owe it to EVERYBODY ELSE at the range to be sure that they are well clear of you and our gun when you pull the trigger on ANY of those aluminum case reloads. You have no right to endanger THEM.

SL1
Old April 7, 2009, 12:16 PM   #13
TEDDY

man your crazy

I picked up a few to keep for collection and in the process squeezed a couple with my fingers and they shattered.[broke].whats the name of your local hospital,they do except flowers right?
no wonder I see so many pictures of blown guns.
Old April 7, 2009, 12:23 PM   #14
Dingoboyx

Good advice given

Please take it.......
Old April 8, 2009, 12:24 PM   #15
wncchester

"...I have resized them with no problems and the primers for the 45acp are small pistol not large. I agree there might be a chance some may split, but I even factory crimped them with no ill effect."

Ditto. I have some .45ACP alum. Blazer reloads in my loading room now, same as you. Sized fine, small primers seated fine, bullets seated fine, they chamber fine. I picked up a few at the range. Chose to try it, not just listen to web experts who know all about it but haven't tried it.

Sure, the alum cases will fail sooner than brass but your pistol won't die from humilation from using it a few times. Or at least mine hasn't. ??
Old April 8, 2009, 12:59 PM   #16
Big-O-2

Thanks...

One for the real people!!!

I feel the same way, I have searched high and low and the Internet has no fatal results from this at all. If you find something send it to me, I want to know. I feal this whole thing is an urban legend!!!

I was looking for facts, not hear say!

I love this forum.

I plan on doing testing on this very matter of Aluminum Casings.

David
Old April 8, 2009, 06:45 PM   #17
SL1

Quote:
Chose to try it, not just listen to web experts who know all about it but haven't tried it.
That is about the most stupid thing I have read here!

Do you need to see somebody get hurt before you can recognize an unsafe situation? Not very bright.

The OP asked advice, and we supplied our best, together with our basis for it. True, what we know indicates that we should not do it, so we have not done it. So, we don't know exactly what will happen, and neither do you. Maybe he can get away with it the first time or a few times. Does that make him an expert because he hasn't hurt himself, yet? The potential for failure seems high and the risks of serious injury are there. How far should he continue to press the odds? Until he hurts himself? Does that make him an expert, yet?

If he chooses to try it, then he is responsible for whatever the consequences are to himself. But, he has no right to recklessly impose risks on other shooters, just because he hasn't hurt himself yet. Doing that hurts all of us reloaders when he blows up his gun at the range, even if he only scares the he-double-L out of the people shooting next to him without actually hurting them. It makes all reloaders seem like potential threats.

So I repeat: HE SHOULD NOT SHOOT THESE RELOADS IN THE PRESENCE OF UNSUSPECTING FELLOW SHOOTERS. Give intelligent people a chance to protect themselves from your recklessness, if you do choose to be reckless.

SL1
Old April 8, 2009, 08:02 PM   #18
Tim R

My reloading mentor reloaded some Blazer 44 mag for giggles. He found he could reload the 44 mag case once, trim to 44 Spec and load it once. He decided it was not worth the effort. Before anyone pops another cork over him doing this, you must know the US Navy holds a US patent on a bullet design he came up with.
Old April 9, 2009, 12:46 AM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

Simply put, you could damage your gun if the case fails in the web area in a gun with an unsupported chamber, like a lot of 1911 designs.

That could result in a broken or ejected extractor or damage to your magazine. Certainly not critical, and unlikely to cause much in the way of injury.

As one other poster indicates, it would also cause a dramatic rise in chamber pressure if the bullet sets back into the case because of inadequate neck tension.

My response was, however, one of return on effort. Brass cases will last indefinitely. Aluminum won't.

When you get right down to it, you can "do" a lot of things regarding firearms that "shouldn't" be done.

You can make your own gunpowder.

You can make your own primers.

With some equipment, you can make your own cases.

You can make your own reloading dies.

You can even make your own guns from scratch if you want.

The question is... why?

Why go to all that effort and hassle and enter into that potential avenue for problems when simply purchasing those items is so much easier, cheaper, and in some cases, safer?

What's to be gained, truly, other than the "Well, I did it, ain't I something else!" factor.

There's economy, and then there's false economy.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.