The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 28, 1999, 09:25 AM   #1
RDF

I,m wanting to buy one, But not sure what to get. Will be used for sighting in scopes and checking groups. Some say get the high dollar ones some say they have the $130. kit from Wal-marts and they do fine. What should I look for in one?
Old December 29, 1999, 10:30 AM   #2
Bill Hebert

I have a Tasco Sentry that I paid about $120. The first thing I did and would recommend if you go "low end" is buy a $20-$30 camera tripod from WalMart. The tripods with the low-end scopes stink. The Tasco works great for shooting 100 yard shots but for 22 caliber, it's hard to see holes at 100 yards.
If you plan to do high power long range shooting I suspect you'll need a better scope than $125. If you plan to use it for spotting for hunting, go with a more expensive scope so you don't run into fogging and you'll need a brighter scope for use at dusk or dawn. Hope this helps..
Old December 29, 1999, 01:46 PM   #3
Trigger Jerk

I have a low end Tasco 20x60. It works for a limited number of things. I only wanted it to shoot out to 100 years during the day (no need for low light capability) and for that it works okay. It does not have the feeling of quality, but it is better than nothing. I bought it for about $75 and have got my moneys worth out of it. I will buy a better one when I can afford it. I guess my advice would be to buy the best you could afford.

When was the last time you were dissappointed that you bought quality?

Old December 29, 1999, 02:28 PM   #4
slickpuppy

I have a Kowa TSN-821 45 degree offset model with the 20-60 zoom eyepiece and has an 82mm objective lens. It is a great spotting scope. That said, it even has problems spotting .22 holes at 200 yards with black targets if environmental conditions are marginal. Go with what you can afford. The Kowa is considered one of the best on the market and is used by a lot of people. Best price I found was from Champion's Choice. I think I paid around $460 for the base unit, $270 for the eyepiece, $50 for the nylon case, and around $150 for the stand with joint swivel head assembly and stand extension. You won't find them at wally world.

[This message has been edited by slickpuppy (edited December 29, 1999).]