The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 12, 2017, 10:12 AM   #1
CockNBama

R 51

Energized by a low price and then a hefty rebate offer, I took a leap with Remington's little retro 9mm.

Came out of the wrapper as the oilyest new pistol I've seen yet. Haven't even loaded it yet. Sure hope Big Green sorted this out fully.

I'll report when I have some range time with it.
Old November 12, 2017, 11:19 AM   #2
Super Sneaky Steve

I love the idea behind this pistol but all the bad press has driven me away. I hope it works out for you.
Old November 12, 2017, 02:49 PM   #3
Kwik2010

There's a deal on them here as well. Been debating getting one. Report back when get a few rounds down range and maybe I'll end up with one as well.
Old November 12, 2017, 03:03 PM   #4
TruthTellers

There was a time I was really interested in the R51. It's a very thin, slim, and trim 9mm with a nice grip.

But after hearing all the problems with the original, the year long wait for owners to get them back from Remington who wished they'd just taken the refund, the general low quality or Remlin stuff (I can attest to a Marlin .22 rifle I wish I never bought) the low prices for these R51's more than likely reflect their true value.

Which is low. Low value and low quality. I'd rather pay another $150 and get an LC9s.
Old November 12, 2017, 03:24 PM   #5
Model12Win

Or pay the same or less and get a Bulgarian Makarov PM. Far more reliable and proven than the R51.
Old November 12, 2017, 03:34 PM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNBama View Post
Energized by a low price and then a hefty rebate offer, I took a leap with Remington's little retro 9mm.

Came out of the wrapper as the oilyest new pistol I've seen yet. Haven't even loaded it yet. Sure hope Big Green sorted this out fully.

I'll report when I have some range time with it.
I'm actually somewhat interested in getting one, just because the tech is "funky".

Practically, any one of a large number of other compact 9mm single stacks are a better idea for carry.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 12, 2017, 03:52 PM   #7
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post
Or pay the same or less and get a Bulgarian Makarov PM. Far more reliable and proven than the R51.
Yeah, but some people will only buy guns made by monkeys in America and I think the LC9s is one of the best single stack 9's available.

But yeah, you'll pay about the same for a Mak and the popularity of the Makarovs has grown so much that companies are making legit defense ammo for them.
Old November 12, 2017, 04:45 PM   #8
Cirdan

I came very close to buying one when the first came out. Decided I didn't want to be a tester, and purchased an LC9 instead. Very happy about that decision when the recall happened.

Still interested though. Love to hear some range reports.
Old November 12, 2017, 07:38 PM   #9
Cheapshooter

Haven't shot mine a great deal. Maybe 100 rounds. But that's been 100 trouble free, and accurate rounds. It is a real pleasure to shoot. Feels great in the hand, has a very natural pointing feel to it. I guess the recoil is less than my Kahr CM9, but I really don't pay much attention to how much recoil a gun has anyway.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 12, 2017, 08:34 PM   #10
mete

Having had the original M51 , the story of the R51 is a very sad one .
Old November 12, 2017, 11:35 PM   #11
chrisp51

Just ordered a R51 from Cabelas. With veterans discount, pre black friday sale price and rebate i thought I would give it a try. Please let us know how yours performs.
Old November 13, 2017, 12:18 AM   #12
gc70

I was very enthused about the concepts underlying the R51, but luckily did not buy a first-generation gun before the recall. I guess I was such a pest talking about the theoretical virtues of the R51, that I was gifted a second-generation gun to keep me quiet.

The good news is that the second-generation guns seem to be pretty good. Mine was well-made, it had low recoil and minimal muzzle flip, it shot reliably and accurately, and checked off nearly every box on my list of attributes for a concealed carry pistol.

If you noticed my use of past tense, it is because I no longer have an R51. MY only reason for having an R51 was for concealed carry. Even though I experienced no problems with my R51, I could not get comfortable with the idea of a defensive pistol that relied on an "elastomer" ball to power the extractor.
Old November 13, 2017, 07:06 AM   #13
hodaka

I've had a re-released R51 for about a year. I also have E.German Makarov's and an LC9 as well as several other pistols. I like the Remington. I've run about 500 rounds, mostly my reloads, with absolutely no jams. It shoots a little low for my POA at 15 yds. but that is my only complaint. About the same size as the Mak but much lighter and shoots a real 9mm. It is a bit of a pain to field strip.
Old November 13, 2017, 07:12 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

What kinds of prices are people seeing on these right now? Price with rebate?

I'd love to get one of these, but right now it's out of the question. That will work, though, as other people get to be the ones who test out the new design.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 13, 2017, 07:40 AM   #15
Ibmikey

I have quite a pile of .380, 9x18 and 9mm Pistols, enjoy shooting each and every one of the ( we’ll maybe not the P 64) so I bought an R 51 shortly after its re release. With the exception of somewhat trying reassembly the pistol is everything they say it is. Mine is a remarkably accurate pistol at ten yards but does shoot slightly low left with a dead center hold. I have not used mine for other than plinking but it has offered up great fun and potentional for personal protection.....I personally have that area (CC) filled with Sig P 938 and P238 Pistols.
Old November 13, 2017, 09:42 AM   #16
joe-lumber

I have a good report on the R 51 reissue and have had no problems with mine. I carried it for a while but it is a bitch to clean. The Remington video that shows how easily it comes back together must be using a 5# spring because it is not that easy. They should be ashame to show that video because it is not true.
But it is accurate and I haven't had any problems after about 400 rounds. Just don't like to clean it.
Old November 13, 2017, 10:35 AM   #17
Fishbed77

Back when the R51 was announced, I'll be honest - I was interested in it for the unique operation and form factor.

But, at this point, after debacle upon debacle, I honestly can't see giving any of my money to Cerberus/Freedom Group/Remington.
Old November 13, 2017, 10:49 AM   #18
arquebus357

Quote:
I have a good report on the R 51 reissue and have had no problems with mine. I carried it for a while but it is a bitch to clean. The Remington video that shows how easily it comes back together must be using a 5# spring because it is not that easy. They should be ashame to show that video because it is not true
Hahaha. Sort of like the Ruger Single Action revolver Video. How did he do that ?
Old November 13, 2017, 11:49 AM   #19
OzeanJaeger

Quote:
Having had the original M51 , the story of the R51 is a very sad one .
I like the originals. Reminds me of a JMB, FN M1910. Original M51s shot up in value and stayed there because of the fiasco. My wife's grandfather had one (now an Uncle has it) and it's a nice shooter. On the heavy side for today, but that's why it shoots smooth.
Old November 13, 2017, 10:09 PM   #20
Ibmikey

Joe lumber, I have arthritis in both hands and just do not have the strength anymore, on my bench is a small machinists vise with smooth jaws. I move the barrel on the R 51 and compress the spring, lock it in the vise and then back onto the frame. After a few cuss words I found this works fairly easy. Hard to explain but try it and you will get the pistol back together fairly quick.
Old November 17, 2017, 12:43 PM   #21
pelo801

Quote:
What kinds of prices are people seeing on these right now? Price with rebate? 
A couple months ago, maybe even July-ish, after price of gun, shipping, transfer, and then rebate, I was at $294
Old November 17, 2017, 06:57 PM   #22
muzzleblast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc70 View Post
I was very enthused ... I could not get comfortable with the idea of a defensive pistol that relied on an "elastomer" ball to power the extractor.
Me too.
Old November 17, 2017, 09:20 PM   #23
chrisp51

With all the rebates sale price and vet discount came out to be $205 otd.
Old November 17, 2017, 10:45 PM   #24
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have to wonder how Remington workers would feel about "Truthtellers" calling them "monkeys"?

Jim
Old November 18, 2017, 11:39 AM   #25
Glockgreat23

After reading these posts I decided to try one. Be advised today, nov 18 is the last day you can purchase for the rebate, and the rebate letters have to be postmarked by dec 15