The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 1, 2017, 04:12 PM   #51
JB60

My dad always had a shotgun for home defense but only seen it loaded twice during the MLK riots and Police / Fire Dept strike. Us kids were told not to touch it and we didn't.
I live in a small 1 bedroom apt and handguns are easier to store and conceal , I keep my S&W .357 loaded or my EDC 9mm Shield, Dads old 12ga pump is put away in the closet.
Old October 1, 2017, 04:37 PM   #52
zincwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB60 View Post
My dad always had a shotgun for home defense but only seen it loaded twice during the MLK riots and Police / Fire Dept strike. Us kids were told not to touch it and we didn't.
I live in a small 1 bedroom apt and handguns are easier to store and conceal , I keep my S&W .357 loaded or my EDC 9mm Shield, Dads old 12ga pump is put away in the closet.
Indeed. We have shotguns in case of natural disaster. In contrast, I am almost always carrying a pistol.
Old October 1, 2017, 05:51 PM   #53
Danoobie

"Same argument can be made regarding an Ar-15. Very LOUD, if not louder."
Sorry, thought we were discussing pistol VS shotgun. Yes, any rifle is ouch.
Old October 1, 2017, 06:05 PM   #54
jr24

Lets see, I have a few reasons.

#1. A pistol is always on me, unless I'm sleeping then its 2 feet away
#2a. If its a daytime invasion (or whatever) I'm looking to bail anyway, and my pistol can get my family out the door. Cops can deal with the rest.
#2b. If it is night time then I need an extra arm, as I would be focused on retrieving my son from his room and I can't do that with a long arm.
#3. I'd prefer to avoid disorientation from the light and sound of a shotgun or carbine in an enclosed space, pistol will be rough enough, but my longest shot in my house is... 10 yards max and I can point shoot that all day under a timer.
#4. If I really need something more there's an AK ready to rock in the safe, so my pistol just has to get me there.

That's not mentioning that nearly every instance I've seen/read with active defense had the bad guys running as soon as they come under fire anyhow.

But mostly, #1, my pistol is always on me and always ready.
Old October 1, 2017, 06:44 PM   #55
MarkCO

Quote:
#2b. If it is night time then I need an extra arm, as I would be focused on retrieving my son from his room and I can't do that with a long arm.
Great reason right there. That extra hand is the biggest plus to a handgun given a direct comparison to a long gun, even more so as compared to a pump gun.
Old October 1, 2017, 06:58 PM   #56
racedawg

Blunderpuss works wonders

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
Old October 2, 2017, 09:07 AM   #57
peterg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimmie View Post
Because when I leave the house, I want all firearms, except for the one I carry, to be locked up in case of a break in while I'm not at home. I'm not disciplined enough to lock the shotgun/rifle in the safe "every time" I leave, and my handgun goes with me everywhere.

+1 living rural I believe a home invasion a lower priority to walking in on a B&E and I don't want to run the risk of being shot with a SD long gun left out of the safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 3, 2017, 12:35 AM   #58
Super Blackhawk

First gun I would go to in a home defense emergency would be the one that I have placed strategically in the house... starting with my Mossberg M590A1
Although sound of my backup home defense firearms give me sense of comfort....
Beretta M9, Sig P320 40S&W and Ruger Super Black Hawk.
Old October 3, 2017, 09:21 PM   #59
jackstrawIII

Why I choose a pistol for HD

1. Ease of access
2. Maneuverability
3. Usability for my wife
4. Lack of penetration
5. The option for single handed operation
Old October 3, 2017, 11:14 PM   #60
raimius

I have a quick access safe and a pistol with a light that fits nicely where I can get to it. I'm not running to another room to open my safe for a shotgun, most likely.

Also, I can more easily do things with my off hand, if I have a pistol vs a long-gun.

I will readily agree on the terminal ballistics inferiority of the pistol, but no choice is without consequences.
Old October 5, 2017, 11:17 AM   #61
GeauxTide

I keep

An 870 Police with 7.5 shot next to the bed, a 45 in the nightstand, and a Glock 19 downstairs for front/back door intrusions.
Old October 5, 2017, 02:11 PM   #62
Model12Win

I keep a pistol as my primary home defense gun because there are many times where a long gun is just way too clumsy or slow to get into action, and a pistol has many benefits in maneuverability and retention in the close in confines of the home. My choice is a Beretta 92A1 with night sights, flashlight attached, and 20 round magazines with 124 grain Speer hollow points.

Of course long guns can offer benefits in stopping power and firepower, but my first choice is the handgun and if I have time, I go for my shotgun.
Old October 6, 2017, 10:11 AM   #63
FAS1

I use a handgun for my primary home defense gun as it is easily secured and accessible right next to my pillow. If awake, it would probably be the gun I am carrying, including the pocket gun that is on me around the house.

Old October 7, 2017, 10:06 PM   #64
FireForged

why a handgun? pretty simply really..

its harder for someone to get a hold of
it allows me the use of my other hand
its easier to retain if someone does get a hold of it
the interior of my home is a relative short distance from end to end
a handgun is generally a lower decibel than many rifles
a handgun is more wieldy in tight spaces
a handgun is usually less likely to over penetrate
Old October 8, 2017, 11:05 AM   #65
Glenn E. Meyer

The last statement about penetration is debatable, dependent on type of round.

We've been around the block on 223 penetration quite a bit as compared to common pistol rounds.

Since 223 is the most common HD long arm round, folks should search on that debate.
Old October 8, 2017, 01:09 PM   #66
fredvon4

When we HAD to live in all sorts of questionable neighborhoods and areas in our Army Careers.. we took home defense very seriously.

Jobs made us valued/vulnerable targets.... I did NOT say HIGH VALUE

We had revolvers, pistols, and shotguns, and the shot guns were varied sizes around the apartment/house... mostly inside "hide" areas.
Hand gun loads were NOT Black Tallon Max ++P Instant Death hated by all Juries and lawyers... simple light ball loads...
Both adults above average skills with at min 6 time a year refresher and drill training as the Army only really did annual training during our careers

As the children grew, they were safety and shooting trained and added into the home defense routine, range time, and drills.

Biggest concern was the locking away all weapons during sleep overs or other "friends in the house" activities... We both knew how kids can behave unsupervised from 8 to 18

Today, retired second time....safe rural big space community and many many different deterants to unwanted invasion of our property.... no kids at home... most every weapon is in a safe, inside a purpose built safe room that was probably a waste of money in the grand scheme of this very low crime and low population county

Kids and grand kids can pop in any time and not panic wife and I to secure ALL the weapons....

Multi layered defense is key IMO.... Where we live...we are aware, by several means that some one is approaching the main house

I also highly recommend to never discuss your entire plan/inventory on the internet

Well armed
Time to react considered..... this is key....if your first clue is door beat down the needs are significantly different than if you have three min to prepare
Dogs
Geese....seriously
Deep set back
Fenced property with few good easy approaches.... criminals are exceedingly lazy... Navy seals could slit both our throats in our sleep
Video...key to tablet or cell
Motion lights
Good Cell apps
good neighbors
Steel doors and frames
million candle lights
No discussion at the bar/gun store/hardware store/on line; how many guns and where

NOT possible for many--- but---- IF you live in a home invasion and killing every week Killeen Texas....Move the F out !!!
Old October 8, 2017, 01:19 PM   #67
Armybrat

Quote:
I also highly recommend to never discuss your entire plan/inventory on the internet
Yet you just did (in a general way).

+1 on the Killeen area. It's gotten a lot more violent since we were stationed at Camp Hood ('48-'50).
Old October 8, 2017, 01:33 PM   #68
PatientWolf

Because, God forbid someone gets a hostage, there is a higher risk of injuring the hostage with a shotgun loaded with buckshot even if you hit where you aim.
Old October 8, 2017, 01:35 PM   #69
DPris
Member Emeritus

In my case, it's very simple.
After a career of clearing houses & other buildings for a living, I found the handgun is infinitely easier to maneuver through tight spaces, around corners, through doors, and in spots where the off hand is used for purposes other than supporting the gun.

I tried a shotgun, I tried an AR.
Gave up on both for that application.

Outside the house, long gun if time.
Inside, handgun.
Denis
Old October 8, 2017, 02:17 PM   #70
fredvon4

ArmyBrat

Thanks for your service....Even the brats serve!!!

Ah... I did--- BUT never did mention where the Claymores, and LAWS were strategically placed

Or the pits, and dead fall suspended logs, or the mean assed Chihuahua that can bite through any loggers boot....

grin

Hummm reminded me, I need to get the test squib out and test the CLICKERS...
Old October 8, 2017, 02:54 PM   #71
fredvon4

All this makes me desire to relate how we came to define to the realtor our permanent retirement property after 42 year long careers in the Army..active and DAC

The only thing we screwed up was close enough to real civilization for GOOD High Speed internet...all other considerations were met

Must be 10+/- acres with combination open and wooded
Must be within 30 min of civilization
Must have main house set way back for county road access
House must be brick veneere
Must not be in flood zone

Some may wonder at why we are passionate of this subject

Wife and I, from early 70 to mid 90s Army NCOs with many deployment to combat, and good at our jobs.

Several tours of Germany where Badder Meinhoff or Red Army faction caused us personal and Unit grief... serious MOFO's

Much travel TDY covert, out of uniform because of nature of missions

Personal experience with children stalker the Army CID altered us to because or our jobs (they were covertly watching for us)...mid career...THAT got our Fing attention...we got proactive and trained

We had the kind of jobs where we were making being a bad guy a bad idea...BUT not under the umbrella of SOCOM or NSA

Twice failed attempts to abduct my wife on TDY....The "be aware" training paid off

We THEN got VERY SERIOUS and enrolled to and ARMY PAID for professional personal defense training

We are both retired over 19 years now and just recently commented to each other how our personal stress level has reduced

This is not meant to be self aggrandizement....and it is just an account of how some military can be targets and must be self aware and take personal action

Living in Chicago, Killeen Texas, Houston, WDC and many many other places with serious problems >>>> requires YOU to assess the threat, find a reasonable way to mitigate that threat

YOU MUST NEVER RELY on Police...period...that is very bad plan...they are an after the fact organization

Shot gun, Rifle, hand gun...ALL--- have a place in the PLAN

There is NO cookie cutter BEST home defense solution

If you are dead poor get a good revolver in .38 or larger

IMO you ....if you insist, or are forced, to live is a funky environment... assess the threat... Plan accordingly.. pay the bucks....get many good weapons, reliable ammo, and go get pro training....seriously

No shot gun or pistol is worth the cost if YOU cannot EFFECTIVLY use it SAFELY

Remember your wife, children, dogs, and neighbors are in the BLAST zone TOO
Old October 8, 2017, 05:04 PM   #72
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrawIII
Lack of penetration
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged
a handgun is usually less likely to over penetrate
If you guys are worried about over penetration, you shouldn't be using a handgun. Service-caliber cartridges will tend to penetrate a huge amount through interior building materials, even if they're hollow points.

If you're worried about excessive penetration, you should be using a .223 rifle with proper defensive ammo like Hornady TAP: these will tend to penetrate far less through walls than any defensive handgun or shotgun load.
Old October 8, 2017, 09:55 PM   #73
SA1911

Hi USSFC.RET,

There is no doubt that a shotgun and a rifle are more powerful weapons. However, neither are good choices for home defense unless you'd be able to stay put at a single location. If you have to move within your house to assure safety of loved ones' safety, long guns become a pronounced liability. Were you to have to maneuver around within your house, it'd be easy for an intruder to disarm you.

Of course, while away from your home, it'd be most difficult to conceal a long gun.

Stay safe & alive.
Old October 10, 2017, 03:30 PM   #74
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.SFC_RET
Why would you use a pistol for home defense? I have my own reasons why I will never depend on a pistol.
1. A pistol to defend your person.
2. A shotgun to defend your home.
3. A rifle to defend your property.
About the time you shoot somebody with a rifle trying to defend your property and you'll need a good criminal defense attorney, in most states
Old October 12, 2017, 02:15 PM   #75
Ghost1958

I have a SR9c on body all the time at home or out. Unless I'm sleeping, bathing, etc and then it is in arms reach. Instant response to any home invader no matter where I am. Wife is similary armed as well.
That said.
If I have time the sks is loaded and chambered all the time in our bedroom.
We live alone, no neighbors to worry about.
If someone is brazen enough to break in while we are here, in my case I want to be able to penetrate walls doors etc. My entire house is a free fire zone in all directions except where my wife is in her pre-planned spot.