The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2009, 05:46 PM   #1
42769vette

243 col question.

i just put a stony point on my 243 and came up with readings of 2.95-3.0 thats pretty deep for a 243 isn't it
Old June 25, 2009, 06:01 AM   #2
sourdough44

I'd have to look at some data, sounds long. I measure each type of bullet to the particular chamber, then look at magazine length & book listed col. I then back of the lands just a bit to start out.
Old June 25, 2009, 07:19 AM   #3
42769vette

i guess i should have mentioned i am shooting a tc prohunter single shot so i dont need to listen to what a book says is my max col
Old June 25, 2009, 05:00 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Max OAL is 2.710".
"...dont need to listen to what a book says..." Yes, you do. It's about standard chamber dimensions, not which rifle or magazine.
Old June 25, 2009, 05:30 PM   #5
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Don't go under the min COL and as far as the upper end of the COL...if you seat your bullet touching the lands...which is fine, be aware that this will raise the initial pressure. Start at the start load and work up. You may find that best accuracy is achieved with a small "jump" (bullet not seated on lands). Also want to make sure you have enough of the bullet seated. Some people say have at least one caliber-depth seated in the brass. I have done less than 1 caliber length when loading Berger VLDs for my .243 to munch on. Good luck!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old June 25, 2009, 08:20 PM   #6
42769vette

im shooting vdls as well. i was just shocked at how deep throughted my rifle is. my old loads were 2.7 col, and i firured i was a hundredth or so from the lands but when i took the measurement i was almost .3 off so now ill back down to my min and work up all over again.

someone please correct me if im wrong but in responce to t. o'heirs post. i BELIEVE that the listed max col is so your ammo wont be so long that it wont feed in semi autos or bolts or ?. if you are single loading you can go as long as you want as long as you have enough bullet seated in the neck. im hoping someone more knowlegable than me can confirm or deny my last statement

Last edited by 42769vette; June 25, 2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old June 25, 2009, 10:22 PM   #7
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

you are correct. seat it as long as you want. but remember about seating on the lands changing the pressure. this is why they list max col...to keep loads off the lands (which could push a max load to dangerous pressure levels)...this is why t o'heir mentioned standardd chamber dimensions. You are doing everything the right way.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old June 25, 2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Sport45

Regardless of throat erosion or leade I like to keep at least one caliber of the bullet's bearing surface in the case neck. It's the neck tension that allows the initial pressure to get the powder burning consistently.

IMHO, this minimum insertion depth would dictate the maximum OAL.
Old June 26, 2009, 07:11 PM   #9
42769vette

ya i wish my cases would hurry and stretch so i can trim and still have enough to seat where i want.
Old August 27, 2009, 11:24 PM   #10
aorelup

I have an additional question along these lines.

Max C.O.L. is listed as 2.710"

Hodgdon's site lists max C.O.L. for a 105gr A-Max as 2.760"

I am a new reloader and am working on some loads for this particular bullet using H414 and Varget powders.
Started at minimum load and worked up by 0.5 grain increments to a full grain below max load, with five rounds at each charge.
Currently have all these cartridges sized out to 2.758-2.760".

Noticed the discrepancy between what Hodgdon's site says and what 'spec' is and thought I may do well to ask for some advice on the matter.

Is it wise to start my loads at this C.O.L.?
Why would Hodgdon's site have C.O.L.s above the max recommended?

Thanks in advance.
Old August 28, 2009, 12:48 AM   #11
Shoney

Yes! You can seat longer than max listed OAL, but there are some limitations, too long and the bullet is easily knocked off centerline.

Read post 10 of this thread
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=358993
for the reat of the story.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111