The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 18, 2017, 08:54 PM   #51
Kreyzhorse

I'd carry FMJ and deposit a lot of them if needed.
Old November 26, 2017, 11:01 AM   #52
Kemikos

If I lived in a place that required me to carry with an empty chamber, I'd be looking for a Makarov and an EFA-2 holster (since the OP's situation is the one it was designed for):
Russian Military EFA-2K Russian Original Self Load Holster by EFA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KYVG5C6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_sVTgAbF801G8E

The pistol is held in the holster with an empty chamber; when you draw, you push the grip down through the holster, while the slide is held in place, chambering a round.

It's not ideal, but it's definitely better than drawing and then racking the slide (and it's a one-hand operation). The downside is that it's only available for the Makarov as far as I know (which isn't the worst, I suppose; they're great, reliable guns). There was an outfit making them for Glocks, but their website appears to be defunct now...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...matic-holster/

Regarding the ammunition, I'll throw in another recommendation for rounds made with the non-expanding fluted bullets (Polycase ARX or Lehigh Extreme Defender) if you can find them where you are.

The flutes do slow the bullet almost as quickly as a fully-expanded hollow-point. There's some debate as to whether they're as effective at damaging tissue as an HP round, but if overpenetration vs. FMJ rounds is your primary concern, that shouldn't matter much.

From a penetration standpoint, the ARX are probably better; the bullet is so light that it takes much less energy transfer to slow it down, and the big flutes seem like they'd transfer a lot of energy fast.

On the other hand, to my eye, the Lehigh bullet looks more like a traditional solid slug, so it might be easier to defend in a legal situation.

Hope you find something that works for you!
Old November 30, 2017, 01:20 PM   #53
samsmix

If I had the option of rolling my own, I believe I'd want a 75gr pure lead wadcutter, moving as fast as a .38 Special could make it go.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?