The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 27, 2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Bill Daniel

Single stage reloading 308

Well due to your kind comments, the amount of reloading I will probably do and cash flow I have decided to keep the Dillon SDB for 45 ACP and use a single stage press (Hornady LNL Classic) for the 308. The SDB came ready to go but reloading for the 308 has a multitude of components. Sizing dies full length or neck, bullet seating with or with out microjust seating stem, powder measures plus or minus the trickler, hand primer or prime on the press, bullet comparators, case gauges or use an unprimed case with bullet painted with magic marker then back of the lands for .004". If I will only be useing my own brass fired in my own rifle do I need to trim or only check case length on a gauge? I have found a lot of good information in books but opinions from seasoned reloaders I have'nt.
Thanks, Bill Daniel

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old August 27, 2009, 02:44 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

the case length will increase from multiple firings even if you use them in the same rifle... i always check case length with a lee guage before reloading...as far as case sizing... if you are not loading for an auto feed rifle...you can get away with neck(collet)sizing only for several times before full length sizing... this will make your cases last longer due to less resizing stress.
Old August 27, 2009, 04:16 PM   #3
NWPilgrim

Depends on what rifle type you are shooting from and what your objective is.

If you shoot a bolt action and want the utmost accuracy then you will want all the tools and gauges. If you shoot a semi-auto and just plinking/volume shooting the you just need to full-length size and trim (or use an X-Die).

I do mostly plinking with my AR15 and M1 Garand. For these all I need is a set of dies, a dial caliper for measuring case length and cartridge overall length, a powder scale, powder measure, a case trimmer, case mouth deburring tool. That is about it.

I have a set of Lee dies for the .223 and RCBS dies for the .30-06. I am using a Lee Classic Turret press. I am switching over to using an RCBS decap/resize die as this eliminates the need to trim cases after the initial case trim. I trim using an L.E. Wilson case trimmer on a Sinclair base (requires one case holder for each case family).

The turret press has a wonderful priming arm and I attach the Lee Safety Primer to the press. I use an extra Lee rifle charging die (one die for all calibers) with an attached Lee Pro Auto Disk powder measure and disk doubler kit (fine for .223 but have to double charge for .30-06 or use a separate powder measure like RCBS Uniflow). Since these are for semi-auto rifles I use the additional Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Since I am not striving for extreme accuracy I do not trickle charge my cases. The Lee Auto Disk and RCBS Uniflow powder measures stay within 0.1 gr and that is plenty good for me.

I use the same process for all my rifles except the crimping. With the X-Die, I should be able to full length size all my cartridges, even for bolt actions, without reducing case life. I don't just neck size because I share my ammo with my family so it has to work in a variety of rifles, including other semis and a 760 pump besides bolt actions.

If you are loading for a specific bolt action rifle then you can neck size only. I am not real familiar with all the details for accuracy reloading, but I believe then you want to use the comparator set to your chamber specs, collet or bushing neck sizing die, case neck turning, and micrometer bullet seating for your rifle's magazine and throat length. In this case you could use Possum Hollow case trimmers which reference the case shoulder, instead of a lathe style trimmer like the Wilson based on total case length.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old August 27, 2009, 04:22 PM   #4
harrys170

if your reloading for accuracy you should keep cases trimmed and do the same thing everytime
Old August 27, 2009, 06:35 PM   #5
James R. Burke

I aggree with Harrys170 I do the same thing.