The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 18, 2008, 12:47 PM   #26
zippy13

johnnyeastside
Quote:
I post pics on a lot of forums,but I have trouble with this one. Is it because it's an Adobe file?
Yep! Your link was to a posting's attachment that was in .pfd format.

If you recall, we went thru this last month with Homerboy's thread Chart of 12 gauge shotgun ammo?
Here's what happened: You'd found a shot size graphic at a Maryland hunter's course; but, when you tried to pass it along (hot link) it turned out to be a .pdf file. Since you couldn't the file to display, you asked for help. A little later I happened along. My first thought was to copy the image from the .pdf file and upload it. But, in the process, somehow I stumbled across the original document that Maryland was using, and the chart in question was in .gif format. Other states link to the same course.
The chart you like is at <http://www.hunter-ed.com/images/graphics/ammo_shot_sizes.gif>

A special thanks to the folks at Today's Hunter. They offer online and classroom Hunter Safety courses in 14 states.
Old December 19, 2008, 04:43 AM   #27
zippy13

un-buck shot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwiliamson062
It seems in most states buck shot is illegal for deer...
(emphisis added)
humm....
Perhaps we're due for a nomenclature revision. What do you think?... Is it time to get the buck out of buck shot?
Old December 19, 2008, 06:25 AM   #28
TheManHimself

Quote:
Generally FMJ spear point. So the BC is much lower and the damage done upon entry is also less. Doesn't get that nice stretch everything until it tears effect you get with the round stuff.
Actually, the premium HD loads are OTMs, same as the military 5.56mm designated marksman round. Ballistic coefficient is far higher than round ball - even FMJ has a slightly higher BC than round ball. And at HD ranges and out to around 150-200yds depending on barrel length, the 75-77gr OTM bullets will fragment violently - tissue damage inside the bullet's frag range is typically more severe than a 7.62mm FMJ, and nobody says bad things about 7.62x51mm.