The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 11, 2008, 07:38 PM   #1
shurshot

Moss/500 3"Mag trouble?

I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue; My Moss 500A, which is about 20 years old, and has been one hell of a gun for small game over the years, now has trouble when I shoot 3"mag Turkey loads in it. 2 3/4" are no problem, but when I touch off a 3"mag, the firing pin "sticks", and won't come back out (or re-cock when I rack the slide) unless I rack the slide about 10 or 12 times, real hard, rapidly. I tried spraying degreaser then wd40 up inside of the firing pin hole, and cleaned that gun real good, but it will still choke up on the 3"mags. I'm guessing that perhaps the Turkey mags are too violent, and the gun, even though chambered for 3"mags, is either worn out, or not rugged enough to handle the extra recoil...? Anyone else have this issue? I'm considering getting an 870.
Old December 11, 2008, 09:00 PM   #2
zippy13

Check the hulls, are the primers dented or pierced?
Is the firing pin projection beyond spec?
A common result of shooting reloads is the eventual erosion of the firing pin and the bolt's pin way from primer blow-by. Could be that your 20-year old pin and/or bolt are just worn out. You might consider polishing the firing pin.
Old December 11, 2008, 09:05 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Buggered up nasty last 1\4 inch of chamber from rarely firing the long shells?
Brent
Old December 11, 2008, 10:13 PM   #4
shurshot

Primers were dented. Chamber was fine, I keep my bore clean. The pin jams, up in the hole, and won't re-cock. Almost like the heavy recoil froze it in place.

Is it difficult to disasemble the 500A in order to polish the firing pin?
Old December 11, 2008, 10:49 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

No it is very easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKbWcPdTRBI
Here is a vid... And in a few moments I will post a couple pics from my p-bucket for you as well...
Brent
Old December 11, 2008, 11:03 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

In the above photo you are seeing an older 20 gauge (smaller) and a newer Maverick 88 (same as 500 guts) 12 gauge bolts and slides... Note the small roll pin hole on the side of bolts... those are that hold in the firing pin. If you are not fluent in mechanic-ese you may wish to refrain but it was easy as pie for me I think I also may have had to drive out the pin that is at back of bolt and vertical (noticeably smaller diameter) but it has been a while for me...
Brent
Old December 14, 2008, 10:47 AM   #7
wjh2657

I always had better patterns and better luck hunting with 2 3/4 " shells in my Mossy 500 anyways. When I decided I needed 3" shells, I bought a Mossy 835Super Turkey for the 3" brass. (It shoots so tight I've ended up putting a scope on it!) Good luck with firing pin change, but I really think you are looking for a solution to a non-problem. Especially if gun is older, shoot 2 3/4" in it.
Old December 17, 2008, 06:57 PM   #8
shurshot

Thanks for the responses guys! I was out of power due to the ice storm, hence my delayed response. I just put 10 quick rounds of slugs, buckshot and high brass 6's through it today, all 2 3/4" hulls, no issues. I'm going to stick w/the shorter shells, but if I get more hangups, I'm going to replace the pin.
Thanks!
Old December 17, 2008, 08:13 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Take for what it is worth... Just me... I would want to get to the bottom of the issue. Just fretting over what if it occurs in a time of need.
Brent