The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 27, 2000, 07:53 PM   #1
LASur5r

Not too long ago, Spectre posted a scenario which ended up a win win. Looking at how she responded makes her a heavy duty survivor. (Please read the thread)

So the question is, how many of you believe that a gun is good enough for self-defense?

Or do you believe in a gun backed up with another gun is the way to go?

Or, some of you believe in a gun as primary with knife as back up is the better choice?

For a long time, i had already gone through this argument with unarmed self-defense. I had originally learned hard-core jiujitsu...breaking limb techniques, choke outs, eye and throat jabs first, groin grabs, throws to make the BG land on head or with arm locked. All made to end the fight quickly to the demise of the BG.
Trouble was, what about situations that didn't call for lethal responses, but still needed a response to control the BG? or it was a relative or loved one and you couldn't quite get yourself to "hospitalize" them?

Well, all of you that have chosen a gun as a self-defense tool have accepted the fact that if you have to pull your handgun of choice for self-defense...you might have to take a life to save a life....?
What do you do if the situation changes and you don't need to fire your weapon? What do you do?
Old October 27, 2000, 08:08 PM   #2
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>What do you do if the situation changes and you don't need to fire your weapon? What do you do?[/quote]

In that case, either the threat has left the area, or I have. In a no-shoot situation, I have no problem with beating my furry little feet out of the area.

As a non-LEO now, I carry a pistol and a folding knife for back-up. Of course, I have a shotgun and assorted mean-and-nastys in the pickup...

LawDog
Old October 28, 2000, 08:32 PM   #3
Hard Ball

I believe that a gun backed up with a second gun AND a good knife is the best way to go. The knife is not only an excellent weapon, superior to a gun in some circumstances, but a major survival tool.
Old October 28, 2000, 09:04 PM   #4
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

I sometimes deliberately don't carry a gun. Why? Well, I think it helps to remind me what my most powerful tools are. OTOH, I have carried as many as three sidearms (compact, "subcompact", mouse) in addition to one or two knives. I thinks tools are great, but attitude and training are more important, by far.

I always carry a one-handed folder, and typically always carry when I'm not at work.

I wasn't horrified by- but not especially pleased- by my response in the thread you mention. I think I did better at the party I was at last night. I was only carry my pocketknife (deep in pocket, for once), and talked a beligerent drunk into leaving. Without ever suggesting he leave. Kept a good position on him the whole time, but talked to him as nicely as I am capable. At one point, I asked him (this was an early Halloween party, everyone costumed):

Want some? Handing over pack of gummi German candy.
Takes pack. Stares intently at it for a moment. Throws candy pack high over head, then looks threateningly at me.
(drunk) I wouldn't do that again, if I were you!
smiling sweetly Do what?
(drunk) Um, never mind.

I especially liked being able to be nice, even to someone that was being a jerk a lot of the time. I figure we all make some mistakes, so- legality aside- I would always want to give people a chance to avoid conflict.
Old October 30, 2000, 08:24 AM   #5
David Scott

Being short, fat and 45 years old, I put no faith in my ability to engage a goblin at close range with a knife or martial arts. I vote gun and gun. Since my wife and I are usually out together, having two shooters means you can cover each other against "encirclement".

I can imagine no scenario where someone who presents a clear threat to me or my wife would be accorded a less than lethal response. Once you recognize a threat, you disengage if you can. If you can't, you punch their ticket to hell.
Old October 30, 2000, 05:02 PM   #6
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

I'm with you. Sometimes, though, there's a lot of "in-between" area, where a response is warranted, but lethal force is not.
Old October 31, 2000, 08:27 PM   #7
Joe Demko

I am usually equipped with a gun/gun/knife/kubotan set-up. I have also studied and practice unarmed fighting, and I keep in good condition through weight lifting. I prefer to use a tool when I can. I'm not as young as I used to be and no longer care about the macho crowing value of "beating him with my bare hands". I care about beating him however i can do it with the least harm to myself and my loved ones.