The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 14, 2018, 06:08 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Having trouble shooting LCP

I hit the range today because it was decent out and I wanted to do some shooting. One of the guns I brought was my LCP and the same thing happens every time I shoot an LCP.

I'll shoot a few mags worth and I'll be fine, but what happens is about 20 rounds in, I get the shakes. Now, my LCP is the Custom and the trigger is better than an LCP because it's a metal trigger and I do shoot better with the Custom, but be that as it may, I get the shakes no matter what.

And the issue is that once I've shot the LCP, I'll have the shakes for the rest of my time at the range, which is why I usually wait until the end to shoot the LCP.

Part of what's causing it is I believe I have a torn rotator cuff or something because when I shoot pistols offhand, after enough time with my arm extended, I get weakness in my shoulder. When I shoot larger handguns, like Ruger Redhawks, cap and ball revolvers, Glocks... I don't have the shakes after any amount of shooting. After enough time, my shoulder will get tired, but a few minutes of rest and it will be okay.

That's not the case with the LCP.

When I take my shoulder out of the equation and I shoot off a rest, the shake is in my hands/wrists when I grip and squeeze the trigger, so even if my shoulder was 100%, there's still an issue in the shaking.

So, is there any special trick to shooting the LCP that can limit my shakes?
Old February 14, 2018, 06:19 PM   #2
peterg7

Having trouble shooting LCP

Yeah only shoot a couple of mags at a time, my limit is 4 mags but since I shoot in my backyard I prefer to shoot all my guns with fewer rounds but more often.

I have some nerve damage in hands and wrist and I find the LCP to be a sharp recoil compared to .40 or .45 so if I’m going to carry it I limit the pain as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by peterg7; February 14, 2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old February 14, 2018, 06:33 PM   #3
HighValleyRanch

sharp recoil is from a lightweight gun. Try using a padded glove like a bike glove, weight lifting glove or shooting glove to soften the shaprness.
Old February 14, 2018, 06:45 PM   #4
tallball

It's beating your hand up, and your body is reacting normally to the abuse. I don't shoot more than a couple of magazines at a time through mine. It's a short-range SD handgun, not a sniper rifle. Shooting a couple of magazines at a time through it every once in a while is plenty enough for practice, IMHO. If you're expecting a longer-range gun fight against hordes of enemies, you need to be carrying something else. It's plenty good enough for an attempted mugging or carjacking, and you don't need to shoot thousands of rounds through it to be ready for that.
Old February 14, 2018, 07:03 PM   #5
Rangerrich99

I had the same issue and for the longest time I thought my shakes were due to an old wrist injury. Discovered by accident that it was due to the butt of the backstrap kicking a nerve bundle in my palm.

I added a Hogue beaver-tail Hand-all LCP grip sleeve to my gun to move my thumb joint a couple millimeters away from the slide to eliminate my chronic issue with slide bite (got tired of bleeding on my LCP), and unexpectedly my shake issue went away.

Might be worth the $8 to see if the grip sleeve eliminates your shake problem.
Old February 14, 2018, 07:10 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Was going to suggest the Hogue Hand-All. I have one on my LCP, but not for recoil mitigation. Rather it gives the tiny grip a better feel in my hand. But I can see where it might help with your problem.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 14, 2018, 07:31 PM   #7
Zeroed

It may sound strange, but cut a 20" bicycle inner tube, angled and cut to the size of the frame/grip. Clean the powder off before putting it on the pistol grip/magwell/frame. (I usually turn it inside-out). See if this can't help you out a bit. It'll give you a little extra padding, better grip control and the sweatier your hand gets, the stickier your grip will be. When you holster, your hand will not be sticky.
I started doing this back in the early 80's with a S&W .357. I told everyone, posted it years later on my G27. Someone picked up on it, now they have pre-formed ones mostly for Glocks. But theirs don't work like a $3 bike inner tube will. It wasn't my original idea back in the 80's, so no hate here.
I also cut one and put on my Detonics Mk1 .45, very snappy when firing, but the tube keeps it tight in my hand without the fear it's going to pop-out of my hand. Kind of gives you the feeling it's glued to your hand.
Give it a try, nothing to lose but about $3 for the inner tube. g/l
Old February 14, 2018, 07:48 PM   #8
cw308

I feel your Pain , I blew out both rotator cuffs doing bench presses years ago , first the left then 8 months later when I thought I was getting better I blew out the right . Didn't have them operated on , now years later I can't lift my arms level with my shoulders without pain an the shakes . I just bought a 1911 with laser grips to shoot without raising the sight to eye level.

Chris
Old February 14, 2018, 08:11 PM   #9
TruthTellers

Thanks for the replies. I'll cap it to 3 mags when I practice with it and at 10 yards max. Been trying to do 15, but it's tough. I'll also think about the Hogue grip sleeve.

As for my shoulder, I can lift it and move it without pain or discomfort, but it's when I lay on my right side it's uncomfortable and for fine motor skills at extended periods of time with my arm extended when the discomfort and weakness shows up. Docs have told me it's nothing, but when I have good insurance next time, I'm gonna stress to them that if it is a torn rotator cuff, it's better it be MRI'd now then to let it deteriorate as I age until I can't move my arm.
Old February 14, 2018, 08:24 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers
I've only shot an LCP once in my life, and my recollection is that the trigger was atrocious. My diagnosis is that your trigger finger and hand grip are getting fatigued. I would buy a grip strengthener and start doing grip exercises.
Old February 14, 2018, 09:22 PM   #11
Carmady

Quote:
Replace it with a Pico.
Old February 14, 2018, 09:35 PM   #12
FITASC

The LCP is NOT a range gun - why are you shooting it like it is one? I have one, and two mags is practice enough..........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 14, 2018, 09:43 PM   #13
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmady View Post
Replace it with a Pico.
I know your pain must be a frustration for you. I have owned 4 lcp's since they came out and shot thousands of rounds through them. My guess is that the LCP with such a harsh snap of recoil is causing nerve damage. Or at least aggravating the nerve. Not sure if any kind of grip is going to help. The LCP is hard on the hand for sure.
I also agree with Carmady, and think about getting a Pico if you want to shoot a lot of 380. It is a very mild shooter and none of that SNAP of the LCP. The Kahr,Sig 238 are also very mild.
Also change the way you shoot. Too many people shoot the small pocket guns like a target gun. They take the proper stance, take their time, and slower squeeze the gun. Wrong!
These are guns made for fast, quick shooting. Pull the gun out, and quickly shoot to mass target. Learn good point and shoot skills. No need to keep the arm extended like target shooting.
Hope things work out for you.
Old February 14, 2018, 09:48 PM   #14
Bill DeShivs

That's why I carry a P32.
Old February 14, 2018, 11:14 PM   #15
kymasabe

Same thing used to happen to me when I shot my old Kel-Tec P3AT which is very much like the LCP. I used to describe shooting that thing like trying to hang onto an exploding credit card. Sold it and bought the P32 instead...no problems since.
Oh, and if you're sold on .380 and are looking for another gun, I've had and highly recommend the Remington RM380. I've had two, and never had a problem with either, ate everything I stuffed thru them, never had a single failure with those guns.
Old February 14, 2018, 11:34 PM   #16
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
That's why I carry a P32.
I'm starting to see the benefit to that, but as others have said shooting 2 mags worth is fine enough for practice and if I ever have to shoot it defensively, the first magazine will probably be all I shoot.
Old February 14, 2018, 11:53 PM   #17
SonOfScubaDiver

Do you absolutely have to go with the LCP? The reason I ask is because I have a Glock 42. It's still small enough to pocket carry, and it handles the recoil quite nicely for as small as it is.
Old February 15, 2018, 12:18 AM   #18
Cirdan

My first thought is welcome to the club. The LCP is great for concealability, but horrible to shoot. Cut the round count.

I replaced the spring on mine. Got a stiffer spring from Brownells, and it really tames the recoil.
Old February 15, 2018, 03:02 AM   #19
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfScubaDiver View Post
Do you absolutely have to go with the LCP? The reason I ask is because I have a Glock 42. It's still small enough to pocket carry, and it handles the recoil quite nicely for as small as it is.
Because I have two LCP's, the Gen 2 LCP and the LCP Custom, and I have 8 or 9 magazines... yeah, kind of. Since 2016, it's been the only .380 that I like because it has a lot of great features, after market accessories, and a great price.

I'm not a fan of the G42 or any of the single stack Glocks in general. I find the LC9s/EC9s to be a better choice because they're thinner and I think just as reliable.

I'm also not a fan of Kel-Tec triggers, I don't like the Beretta 3032, and I've been told the NAA Guardian is not a soft recoiler either.

I'm willing to give the P32 a chance because a .32 ACP pistol has been on my mind for various reasons, but if I cant get hits at 10 yards do to the DAO trigger and crappy sights... idk.

I'd prefer to stick with the LCP. If lowering the round counts is the ticket, I'll do it.
Old February 15, 2018, 08:33 AM   #20
cw308

After reading your post again I don't think it's your shoulder giving you the shakes . Shooting your other handguns your fine until you grab your LCP. Remove the bullets just point an dry fire you won't shake . Need I say more .
Old February 15, 2018, 08:58 AM   #21
98 220 swift

+2 on the Hogue grip. It made a major difference on my lcp. Was a pain to shoot before now a joy. used to only shot a mag or 2 before I was done. Now can shoot all day with it. made a terrible to shoot gun a fun gun to shoot. I think they still go for around $10.
Old February 15, 2018, 10:11 AM   #22
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 220 swift View Post
+2 on the Hogue grip. It made a major difference on my lcp. Was a pain to shoot before now a joy. used to only shot a mag or 2 before I was done. Now can shoot all day with it. made a terrible to shoot gun a fun gun to shoot. I think they still go for around $10.
For many years I used the Hogue Grip on the LCP's. Years later, I took it off and was surprised to actually have better control. And I have large hands. I believe Ruger engineers knew what they were doing in the design. And the Stippling on the LCP (older models) was great. I am no longer a LCP fan, but sure as heck shot a lot of ammo through them. I guess Ruger could have designed the gun with a fat grip like the Hogue, but did not for a reason. I also think it depends on how much you shoot the gun and adjust to it.
Some folks need a fat seat for a Bike, and when switching to a racing or road seat, feel unforgettable at first. But once they get use to it, they do not want to go back. At least for me, this was the case with the Hogue and Pocket Pistol grips. JMO.

As far as the Op is concerned, it is anyone's guess what is causing the Problem. I would guess that the nerve in the hand could run through frin his arm to the shoulder. The snap of the LCP is such that it produces a hard Muzzle Flip, which could be causing force aggravating his wrist. I also have noticed that the LC9's do the same thing, but in a lessor degree.
I do hate to see him have to scale back on shooting his CCW Pocket gun. The skill set to shoot these small barrel, small guns must be maintained on a constant training regime. At least I require diligent training. I am sure others disagree and require very little. Each to his own.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 15, 2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old February 15, 2018, 11:16 AM   #23
RUT

>>The LCP is NOT a range gun - why are you shooting it like it is one? I have one, and two mags is practice enough..........<<

Ditto. I think I've only shot mine once, and hopefully never will again.
Old February 15, 2018, 11:58 AM   #24
SonOfScubaDiver

Hmmm. Well, yeah, it does seem that you're locked in to your LCP. It seems the best course of action, if getting something else isn't viable, is to not shoot it as much, as others have suggested. No sense in making whatever is going on with your shoulder and hand any worse. I know I had to cut down how much I shoot my LCR because it hurts my hand. Some guns just aren't good range guns.
Old February 15, 2018, 06:44 PM   #25
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUT View Post
>>The LCP is NOT a range gun - why are you shooting it like it is one? I have one, and two mags is practice enough..........<<

Ditto. I think I've only shot mine once, and hopefully never will again.
Lol,If you do not consider the gun you carry a range gun, that is your business. I damn well consider my pocket guns as range guns and I train with them as if my life depended on it. and that is my business. You don't want to train, then don't.
Two mags? Good enough to maybe get you killed. Hopefully for your sake, the bad guy trains less than that.

By the way, I find them not only challenging but fun to shoot. Have also been shooting my LCR9mm religiously for the past two years. Another fun gun. When I first started shooting it, I was terrible. A lot of improvement over the past two years have made a considerable difference.
Some folks think shooting a small barrel pistol is easy, most understand that it takes diligent and frequent practice.
I have not seen many that do well with them from the very beginning and many never get there.

On the LCR9mm, I thought the recoil was substantial at first, but after so many range sessions, It is like I have become immune to it. Really do not notice it at all anymore. Now a 357 would be a different story. I doubt I could handle many rounds in one session.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 15, 2018 at 06:56 PM.