The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 14, 2018, 05:35 PM   #1
GovtIssued

CCW for military

Hey everyone I’m new here, I’ve looked but have f found an answer to this question...I’m military and got my CCW in Va, I’m stationed in a state that has reciprocity with them. Is my CCW still valid even though it doesn’t match the address on my card since I’m stationed outside of Va?
Old February 15, 2018, 01:24 PM   #2
fredvon4

Least path of resistance seem to me you most likely qualify so just pay the fees, take the class, and get CCW in your new permanent duty station state

A plus to this is... the very good instructors will compare the VA CCW law rules vs say the new permanent resident status you have in, let's say, Texas ( where every you are now stationed)

My first CCW was Virginia...Army posting to Ft Eustis.... went to Germany and then on to Texas... was fun and simple to just get the Texas License and I learned a lot I had forgotten.... made a few new shooting friends aslo
Old February 15, 2018, 09:17 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Call Virginia and ask. I'm sure they require a current address, so even if you relocated within Virginia you were probably supposed to notify them of a new address within _x_ days or _y_ hours. If your VA license doesn't show your current address, it may be invalid even it could be converted to non-resident.

Not Virginia, but my home state license is equal to a non-resident. If I move out of state, I can just inform them of the new address and it instantly becomes a non-resident permit.
Old February 16, 2018, 01:39 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

I believe it depends entirely on what State you're currently living in. I think most States have some kind of "waiver" for serving military. You'd have to talk to whoever deals with CCW licences where you are.
There's a reciprocity map on the NRA's site. This is Virginia's. Looks like most States recognise their licence. You'll still have to comply with the current State's laws though. There might be a time limit for the reciprocity. In any case, it's where you currently are that matters. And of course, the military has their own rules for on base carry. None at all, on most bases, as I recall.
Old February 16, 2018, 02:32 PM   #5
tony pasley

You need to check the state you are now in and also Va. They may have a waiver for military but both states have to have a waiver for military. Since you no longer live in Va. that could be a problem for Va., which makes it a problem for the state you are now in.