The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 29, 2018, 01:00 PM   #26
UncleEd

(QUOTE) Bob Wright: Maybe I'm just such an adaptable cuss! (QUOTE)

No, you didn't adapt. You were born with Single Action Revolver Genes.

Some people have those genes and some people don't.

Caution though, others might say you didn't evolve far enough to
lose those genes.*

*Those who evolved too far mutated into ugly messes
and prefer plastic autos.
Old June 29, 2018, 01:06 PM   #27
Real Gun

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk
I think the reloading thing is overblown. I grew up with a new model single six, after 10's of thousands of rounds I never thought twice about it.
You're right about that. I've put thousands of rounds through my New Model Blackhawks and never noticed any problem loading nor extracting empties.

Maybe I'm just such an adaptable cuss!

My Single Seven indexes on the loading gate.

I think we live in an age wherein we are conditioned to tolerate many things, either for lack of choices, because a battle isn't worth fighting, or because we keep being told it is right.
Old June 29, 2018, 04:49 PM   #28
smee78

Congrats on the new addition. I am a fan of Ruger single actions and have a few that are just pure pleasure to shoot. I would start out with a box of cowboy loads first and work your way up to the knuckle busters if your so interested.
Old June 29, 2018, 08:18 PM   #29
ThomasT

Quote:
They are reliable and accurate.
Outstanding field revolvers.
Best answer so far. Two thumbs up.
Old June 30, 2018, 05:21 PM   #30
UncleEd

(QUOTE) Wyosmith: Outstanding field revolvers. (UNQUOTE)

So many of us are so far afield, we'd all better have a
Ruger single action.
Old July 1, 2018, 10:22 PM   #31
Auto5

Mine is a 5.5", with round trigger guard and fluted cylinder. I previously had a 7.5", but the shorter barrel carries easier for me. The SBH is easily the best .44 for the money.
Old July 2, 2018, 07:31 AM   #32
WV_gunner

I just sold my 50th anniversary .357 mag for $300. Hated doing that but had to do it. Unless it’s a rare model or odd caliber, $450 is as high as they are typically worth. If I ever get another I’d like a .44 Special.
Old July 2, 2018, 05:52 PM   #33
Real Gun

Quote:
Mine is a 5.5", with round trigger guard and fluted cylinder. I previously had a 7.5", but the shorter barrel carries easier for me. The SBH is easily the best .44 for the money.
I don't find that Ruger is currently offering what you describe.
Old July 2, 2018, 06:33 PM   #34
Targa

Here is the one he's talking about https://www.ruger.com/products/newMo...eets/0811.html.. I have this one, it also comes blued.
Old July 3, 2018, 08:30 AM   #35
Real Gun

Ok, thanks, found it...that's the one Lipsey's is considering in a Bisley version.
Old July 3, 2018, 08:49 PM   #36
Auto5

Mine shows up as 0810 in the current catalog.
Old July 3, 2018, 11:03 PM   #37
Prof Young

Finally shot the beast!

Took the beast to the range yesterday. Started with some Remington JSP in 180 grains. Wore my shooting gloves and put target at ten yards. Very first shot was only two inches high and to the right of center. Wow, thought I was really into it. Well, the next five shots were 5-7 inches low and to the left. Imagine that. (Still jerking the trigger!) Shot 18 rounds of the Remington and most of it was low and to the left by 4-8 inches. Then I went to some hand loads, 240 coated lead on top of 13.5 grains of Accurate #5 with half a crimp. Those were 3-5 inches off center mostly down and to the left. Note, I was not shooting off a sand bag or any other kind of support. I did learn quickly that you have to hang on tight, which is hard to do with those beautiful wood grips. Found the recoil bashing the web of my right hand if I wasn't careful. This gun is a hoot to shoot. If I can find a load powerful enough for hunting with which I can hit where I aim at 25 yards I may try hunting with a hand gun again. Yeah, I know 25 yards isn't much of a hunting distance but I have a couple of tree stands and one ground blind where it's common for the deer to be that close.
Life is good.
Prof Young

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 4, 2018, 06:56 AM   #38
Real Gun

I have been doing better with big magnums by firming up the grip of my LEFT hand over my right and more at the base of the grip. The web of my right is taking less punishment that way, although I use a glove, and the gun is steadier through the trigger pull. Full Weaver stance.
Old July 4, 2018, 09:41 AM   #39
Prof Young

Thanks Real Gun

Thanks Real Gun I'll take that advice with me to the range. Query, where do you go with your left thumb?

Which I guess brings up a discussion about grip and the difference between revolver grip and semi-auto grip . . . if there is a difference.

Life is good.

Prof Young
Old July 4, 2018, 10:25 AM   #40
hdbiker

Heavy loads in a Blackhawk are fun but ck your gun screws from time to time. hdbiker
Old July 4, 2018, 01:19 PM   #41
UncleEd

Prof Young,

At closer ranges at first, try one-hand shooting, the
shooting arm extended and slightly relaxed for you
to be comfortable.

Gently pressing back on the trigger, when the gun
goes off, let the gun ride up and rotate a little
in your shooting hand.

The gun should then be in a position for an easy
recocking.

It may take a few shots to master the technique.

But a lot of the recoil is dissipated in this method.
Old July 4, 2018, 06:39 PM   #42
Prof Young

Sounds odd but . . .

UncleEd, this sounds a touch funky but I'll give it a go. Kind of goes against natural instinct to hold that thing in one hand to shoot.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 5, 2018, 09:56 AM   #43
rclark

One hand .44 Mag? .... That is going to bite. Be careful. I do standard .45 Colt that way, and it is tough enough to hold on to.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old July 12, 2018, 12:05 AM   #44
Prof Young

Had the beast at the range again and . . .

Well, I forgot the one handed thing as noted above. BUT I think I could hang on to the gun better with bare hands then with my shooting gloves. And the barrel gets really hot. After only 18 rounds I could barely touch it. Shot some smaller caliber stuff so it could cool down. Love this beast. Fun, fun, fun to shoot.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 12, 2018, 12:41 AM   #45
Dufus

If you shoot stout loads bare handed, you will develop blisters.
Old July 12, 2018, 06:52 AM   #46
Real Gun

This wimp mommy boy is going to shoot 44 Magnum with two hands.
Old July 12, 2018, 07:29 AM   #47
rodfac

Never could maintain a consistent grip with a glove on my shooting hand (strong hand), and the trigger press was inconsistent as well...could be just a matter of practice...but even in the coldest weather, I pull off my glove with my teeth, then draw and fire. It's a single action and not in use as a defensive gun, obviously.

For those that care, the .44 Special Rugers have been especially accurate for me, throats and bores correctly dimensioned for LSWC's and any sane charge of powder. The guns seem very tolerant as to bullet dimensions; I've found that with moderate charges, say up to 1100 fps, anything from 0.429" to 0.432" will shoot well (~2" gps at 25 yds from rest). In my experience, sizing them to 0.430" does the best. And I like Win 231, Unique, & Herco for the job. Some soot on the cases, comes with fast powders, but the accuracy is superb.

And while others have found occasional leading in the forcing cone area, due to roughness or by an overly tight crush fit barrel thread, I've encountered no such problem....for a good, trail worthy handgun that'll handle most everything that can be encountered in the lower 48, a Ruger .44 Spl. Flat Top will fill the bill.

YMMV, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old July 19, 2018, 12:54 PM   #48
Prof Young

One more thought about Super Blackhawk 44.

Had the beast at the range and part way through session had trouble getting cylinder to turn. Turns out I had a slightly high primer and the "clearance" is to tight that it wouldn't turn. I'll take that as a good thing and watch for high primers.

Life is good.
Prof Young