The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 7, 2011, 07:22 AM   #1
ExMP

Cleaning/Wear questions

Good Morning All,

I was gifted a Westpoint .22 S/A. It's fairly old, but looks in good shape.

I took it to the range a week ago, and it stovepiped every 3-4 shots. The spring felt strong, the extractor looks good and the tube feed was clear. However, every time you charged the weapon, it sounded like you were rubbing sandpapers against each other.

This weekend I broke it down and OMG. The internal workings were utterly covered in crud. In some places, I could flake it off in pieces probably 1/32" in thickness. I don't think this rifle has ever been cleaned.

I went in with the brass brushes, solvent, paper towels, Q-tips and wooden skewers to get in those small cracks. It looks 100% better inside. However, when I charge the weapon, it still makes that sandpapery noise. I stripped it again, and I see the steel of the bolt rubs the aluminum (I think) roof of the casing. I feel I cleaned it well, but, if you could recommend anything better than Outers Nitro Solvent to do so, I'm all ears.

Also, do you know of anything I could do to help with the wear and/or smooth the sound of the bolt?

Thanks Guys!
Old August 7, 2011, 07:36 AM   #2
dahermit

Spray carburetor cleaner. It will blast junk out of the smallest crevices.
Old August 7, 2011, 09:02 AM   #3
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

If that doesn't do it drop it in brake fluid for a few days then do the carburetor cleaner. My gun cleaning oil is a mix of fuel oil, motor oil, ATF and left over gun oil when I get near the end of a can or bottle. I just drop my stripped gun or parts in the ammo box and come back in a day or a week and clean as usual with contact cleaner, carburetor cleaner, whatever is handy. Then a little air hosing making sure not to blow away loose parts, done that a couple of times and don't want a repeat.

You can do the same to the receiver, pull it out of the stock and drop the end of it into a bucket or coffee can of your cleaner whatever you choose and let it soak for awhile before you try cleaning it. I like clean guns and anything to make the job easier is a good thing.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 9, 2011, 04:19 PM   #4
ExMP

Ok, carb cleaner made the rifle rain black goo that I would not have expected to see after the scrubbing I gave it on Sunday. However, my fears have become reality. The bolt assembly is rubbing the top of the receiver and that is what is making the sandpapery noise.

The front/top edge of the bolt is a 90 degree edge, and I think that is what is scraping. As far as I can see, it has nothing to do with sealing the bullet into the barrel. Guys, do you think it would be ok to Dremel that edge off?

Thanks!
Old August 10, 2011, 12:04 PM   #5
Picher

It may be okay to use a rubber abrasive wheel in the Dremel, if you're sure that's the problem. Sometimes it's a pin that's backed out of a bolt that's causing the problem, so be VERY sure before you make anything worse than it is. For instance, the inside of the receiver may be rough.

I like to use stones to hone things instead of grinding away with a Dremel. The Dremel is often used to polish, after surfaces have been honed.
Old August 10, 2011, 01:41 PM   #6
UtopiaTexasG19

You mention using solvents to clean the gun but are you using a good gun lubricant after the cleaning?
Old August 10, 2011, 04:02 PM   #7
ExMP

Ok, update.

After the carb cleaner, I did oil the rifle with Outers "Gun Oil" (it came in the cleaning kit). I did so via the Less is More doctrine. It still was scratchy.

Last night, I got it out to do some preparatory viewing before breaking out the dremel, and poof, no noise. I racked the bolt 15-20 times and nada. I plan on taking it out this weekend and burning a few rounds to see if it jams.

In all this, I did check the recoil spring and buffer and the motion of all the mechanicals, and they seem to be in good order.

So, here's to good luck =)

Tags
.22 , cleaning your rifle , rifle