The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old May 17, 2002, 09:14 PM   #1
Lancel

Nashville Gun Show size/quaility

What’s the size/quality of the Gun show in Nashville 18-19 May? It’s put on by International Gun-o-rama. I’ve been to two other shows at the State Fairgrounds. Both were small and nothing special. And certainly not what I expected from a capital city. Before I make the hour drive this time, thought I’d check to see if any Tennessee TFLers have info on this show. Thanks.
Old May 21, 2002, 12:31 AM   #2
White Wolfe

Well I went to it.

I live on the KY TN line about an hour away too. Almost wished I hadnt drove the hour. I have not been to alot of them, but it seems this last one was small. Didnt have alot to choose from either. Normally the vendors have about the same stuff and you can find good deals. Not the case at this one. Just seemed small and low selection. I was looking for particular things so maybe that was why I wasnt so pleased. I still couldnt find a good set of scope rings.
Old May 22, 2002, 12:58 AM   #3
Lancel

Thanks, White Wolfe.

Sounds like the two shows I was at before. Pretty disappointing compared to the ones I’ve been to in other parts of the country. But I know there must be quality shows sometime in middle Tennessee. At least now we know that shows sponsored by “International Gun-o-rama” ain’t so hot.

Lancel
Old May 22, 2002, 07:09 AM   #4
buzz_knox

Bob Pope puts on the best show in Nashville (at least he did) with Bill Goodman coming in second. I've never heard of the Gun-o-Rama. Mike Holloway has just about the only show in Knoxville. One of the best, though, is held in Kingsport every couple of months.
Old May 23, 2002, 01:28 AM   #5
Lancel

Thanks, Buzz_Knox..

A quick net search tells me the next Bob Pope shows are June 22-23 and August 24-25, 2002 in Smyrna. I should be back in the area for one of those and will definitely go.

Lancel
Old June 17, 2002, 10:48 PM   #6
Slabside

Bob Pope used to put on the biggest shows in Nashville at the I-24 Expo Center just east of Nashville. However, last yr, the owners of the Expo Ctr had a falling-out w/ Pope over various matters. This left Pope looking for a new home for his shows and there weren't any for a while. He has since relocated to the old Walmart bldg in Smyrna, TN. See this link...
http://www.guns4you.org/i24.html This bldg is small and in no way can accomodate the vast crowds or vendors that he used to have at the former location off the interstate.

I would say that, now, the Pope and Goodman shows are about the same in size. However, the Goodman show has been in the same place for yrs and folks know it well. It's more centrally located for folks from all over middle TN.

Yes, the shows have deteriorated in Nashville over the past couple of yrs for some reason. I believe the cost of tables to vendors and subsequently, the lack of vendors has caused this. Usually, there are a few good shows a yr but I don't believe that local vendors want to attend every show like in other places around the country due to these costs and lack of sales when folks won't come due to the lack of selection.

It's kinda like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get.

Slabside
Heros may be found in the most unlikely of places
Old June 18, 2002, 08:26 AM   #7
Lancel

Thanks, Slabside
Good thing I love chocolate.