The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 18, 2018, 03:07 PM   #1
kymasabe

AR Stock and Grip recommendations ??

So, I'm needing a new stock and grip for my latest AR build. I had a Daniel Defense stock and grip on it but...the grip had no beavertail to it, like a Magpul MOE does, and the stock was too short, when shouldered all I felt was the lower corner of the stock.
So, I've built AR's with the Magpul MOE stock which wasn't bad, and recently sold an AR I build that had the CTR stock on it. Nice stock, nice fit, no rattle, shoulders nicely for me but...they're everywhere now. Seems like every AR I see has Magpul all over it and I'm trying to find something that fits as well but isn't as common. My other AR has a Mission First Tactical Minimalist stock on it, which isn't too bad, just not sure I love it yet.
Grips: I'm stuck on the Magpul MOE grip, I keep going back to it because I can't find another that I like as much. Tried BCM and Umbrella, and the Magpul K2, didn't like them. One of my AR's is wearing a Spikes Tactical Pro Grip, is OK, not as good as an MOE but better than the others so far.

The question is...is there another decent stock and grip that you guys are using that you're happy with? Luth? Griffin? Anyone?

Last edited by kymasabe; July 18, 2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old July 18, 2018, 03:35 PM   #2
TrueBlue711

Definitely one of those personal preferences things. Everybody has different tastes when it comes to comfort and looks of AR furniture.

Personally, I have 4 rifles (not all ARs) that use AR buttstocks and grips. For my lightweight AR, I have the MFT Minimalist stock and it is perfect for that build. My heavier Sig 556 uses the Magpul CTR stock with a riser attached. My AR pistol uses the SBA3 adjustable brace and my heavy 224 Valkyrie build uses the Magpul PRS stock. Each one I chose for each build and love them all.

For grips, I migrate to both Magpul and Hogue. Both feel great in my hand. My 224 Valk uses the ErgoGrip precision shooting grip since that's the purpose for that rifle.

Speaking of Hogue, look into their stocks too. The cheek weld is comfy with their overmold on the top of the stock. If you don't like the other stocks listed, I would suggest trying them out.

Here's the link to the AR stocks that are offered on MidwayUSA. You can browse through there too.
Old July 18, 2018, 05:34 PM   #3
PlatinumCore16

I'm going to put another vote up for the Magpul MOE grip, but I like the '+' version the best. I also have a love for the A2 grips.

As far as stocks, I like my Magpul ACS. Feels great, has storage, doesn't pull on ma beard. But can't beat the A2 either (seeing a pattern here?). I am hoping to use a BLACKHAWK Axiom A-Frame stock on my carbine build. Will report back when I get to that.
Old July 18, 2018, 07:42 PM   #4
marine6680

I like the SL grip, but it is small for some.

BCM has a few grips, I like the mod 3, it's similar to the more in grip size. The other versions are a little thinner. If you only tried one, then you my like one of the other ones.

I like the MOE grip, but prefer the grip angle on the new grips like BCM, SL and K grips.

The BCM buttstock is pretty good.

I like it and the Magpul SL stock.

The BCM has the same length of pull as the MOA stock, the SL stock has about 3/4in more when extended.
Old July 18, 2018, 08:19 PM   #5
pblanc

The Magpul M.O.E. pistol grip is the most comfortable AR grip for my hand that I have yet found and is what I use on both my ARs.

I like the added cheek support afforded by the Magpul STR carbine butt stock, although it does add some weight.

I really don't care if everybody else has an AR wearing Magpul furniture.
Old July 18, 2018, 10:29 PM   #6
jonnyc

There's a reason that Magpul bits are "everywhere". Don't hate them 'cuz they're beautiful.
Old July 19, 2018, 07:26 AM   #7
Schlitz 45

Currently I have one AR & like most folks a box of take offs from trying out different set ups to see what feels best for the weapon's designated task.
Mine's set up as survival/apocalypse weapon so I went with the Magpul stock that has the small compartment & a pistol grip with storage space & cap so I can have spare parts & cleaning stuff on board.

Last edited by Schlitz 45; July 19, 2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old July 19, 2018, 07:34 AM   #8
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
There's a reason that Magpul bits are "everywhere". Don't hate them 'cuz they're beautiful.
True, true. I guess they're everywhere because they work so well and are affordable. I'm trying to balance comfort, reliability, and weight, and keep coming back to the CTR stock. There are others I'd consider but I don't need the additional storage in them or the weight. I need a few more days to research some of the stocks y'all have mentioned (like the Hogue).
Old July 19, 2018, 05:14 PM   #9
craddleshooter

I like the plain old Magpul MOE grip and the ACS-L stock. Those are my favorites. Close second is the Hogue overmolded grip with finger grooves and beavertail and the B5 Bravo stock.
Old July 20, 2018, 08:46 AM   #10
Fishbed77

I liked the Magpul MOE grip for years until I tried the BCM MOD3.

The angle is better, the purchase is better, the comfort is better, and the storage cover is better. It's my go-to now.

In terms of stocks - I have a few. Mostly Magpul and including the CTS, ASC-L, MOE SL, and MOE (among others). I like them all, but all-around, it's hard to beat the CTS. It's easy to adjust, locks up tight, and is pretty much bomb-proof.
Old July 20, 2018, 11:44 AM   #11
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
I liked the Magpul MOE grip for years until I tried the BCM MOD3.
Regarding the BCM mod3, not sure if I've got this right but...isnt it similar angle to MOE K2 grip, straighter than standard MOE?
And, if so, I find is good for shooters who keep their stock short and their elbow down at their side. I still shoot with stock extended and elbow out "chicken wingin", and the K2 grip wasn't comfortable.
Old July 20, 2018, 06:21 PM   #12
marine6680

Tuck the elbow... I shoot fully extended, and tuck my elbow.

Even fully extended the stock isn't quite as long as the A2.

If you shoot across the body, old school method, the traditional grip angle works.

If you shoot with a dropped elbow and more square to the target, then the more vertical angle is better.

I personally do a slight isosceles, not fully squared off.

I do like the Magpul SL stock, it fits tight, without the need for a looking tab to activate.

Last edited by marine6680; July 20, 2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old July 21, 2018, 08:19 AM   #13
odugrad

B5 Sopmod Bravo stock and a BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 grip.
Old July 21, 2018, 05:26 PM   #14
kymasabe

Thank you all for your suggestions. I tried a few different stocks and after some deliberation, decided to stick with what I know and what has worked in the past and went with the Magpul CTR stock and a Magpul MOE grip. Got them both at a great price at Primary Arms and should have them in a couple days.
Old July 22, 2018, 02:19 AM   #15
ed308

May favorites for a regular AR is Magpul STR and ERGO Sure Grip.
Old July 23, 2018, 05:20 PM   #16
PushPuller

I cant make much of a suggestion for the grip, because I actually prefer the plain grip EVERY boxed AR comes with. But for stocks I have to highly recommend ACE brand.

They make very high quality aluminum stocks that are rock solid and come in various lengths. I actually tried them out because I don't like collapsible stocks, plastic stocks and stocks that rattle or make noise (feels and sounds cheap). I would suggest looking at JSE Surplus website if your interested. I got the skeleton stock last week for $70. which is cheaper than anybody else by $30+.

https://star15.com/parts-accessories/ace/buttstocks

As for handguards and potentially stocks I would also like to point out that Boyds has been making wooden AR furniture that looks really cool, and is relatively affordable
Old July 23, 2018, 06:05 PM   #17
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushpuller
I cant make much of a suggestion for the grip, because I actually prefer the plain grip EVERY boxed AR comes with.
Agreed. I have XXL hands and like these better than larger grips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe
My other AR has a Mission First Tactical Minimalist stock on it, which isn't too bad, just not sure I love it yet.
The MFT Battlelink has a similar contour and storage.