The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 9, 2018, 03:45 PM   #26
Sevens

When you want to make things interesting and well off the beaten path, try the Xtreme 123gr plated "AK-47" bullet in .327 Federal as I detailed in the linked thread.

These are unlikely to work in th SP-101 however, as the cylinder is too short for what I cooked up... but if you developed some new loads in .32 H&R brass, you may be able to find success!
Old July 9, 2018, 08:40 PM   #27
rc

If you are just punching paper, go to the shorter 32 H&R magnum case. Load 100 grain lead semi wadcutters of the Saeco style. They work better than the RCBS style in my opinion. Don't rule out 115 grain 32-20 round nose flat points. They shoot pretty good too and if you must shoot with 327 brass will take up a lot more air space. The XTPs as I said before are great for 327 federal equivalent loads but you are basically after 32S&W/32 mag level loads. The 32 mag loads will be more accurate than 32 S&W in a 327 chamber.

One thing you may need is a 32 long expander plug for .313 bullets. I would think the 327 expander is closer to .310.
Old July 10, 2018, 05:23 PM   #28
Real Gun

I'm thinking, if you "just want to shoot holes in paper", use a 22. If you like a little challenge and drama in your shooting, shoot the cartridge that has its name stamped on the barrel. 327 Federal is fun to shoot, but for the reloader it doesn't have to be full power, expensive, or with hard-to-find ammo. It certainly can be lead, avoiding more expensive bullets. Those intended for 32-20 have worked very well for me in my Single Seven. I do have to trim my brass though to be able use a cartridge gauge. With lead bullets at .313 a case length of 1.182 seems to be the sweet spot.
Old July 11, 2018, 08:17 AM   #29
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Gun
"just want to shoot holes in paper", use a 22
…Except he might want to practice presentation or speed loading or just using the sights and controlling the trigger of the particular weapon itself and save ammo money into the bargain. Or maybe he wants to take a rabbit or squirrel without messing up much meat. Numerous are the purposes of target loads.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 11, 2018, 10:05 AM   #30
Real Gun

You're moving the goal posts. He didn't say that.
Old July 11, 2018, 10:35 AM   #31
spawndn72

Ok, here is my thinking on buying this gun and its' intended purposes:

My wife likes shooting and will shoot her 9mm carry gun for practice but prefers to shoot a 22. She is not a big fan of recoil. We currently own a single six and a S&W Victory. She doesn't like loading and unloading the single six and the Victory can be finicky so the last time we went shooting, she got frustrated and quit shooting and I can't have that.

So I started looking at guns for her to shoot while also trying to find something that I would enjoy shooting. I did not want a double action 22. That lead me to the 327 since it can shoot 32 S&W, 32 S&W long, 32 ACP, etc. I figured it would be the perfect gun for her to shoot (low recoil and easy to use) while also being a fun gun for me(I like recoil).
Old July 13, 2018, 08:03 PM   #32
spawndn72

The Great lakes ammo that I bought that has the 100 grain polymer RNFP bullets had an average velocity of 1219 over a 6 shot string. Low was 1198 and high was 1241. I think that will be recreatable using AA#7.

Of course when I went to start adjusting my dies, the Lee sizing die had a large burr/defect in the threads so I can't use it. I will have to call them on Monday. Anyone have any dealing with Lee warranty service?
Old July 15, 2018, 09:23 PM   #33
rc

You could do that with 231 or universal or blue dot or 800x or unique too. Just some alternative choices. 231 tops out around 1250 but the slower ones can take you up close to factory power for a 327.