The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 12, 2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Vermonter

Shooting Gloves

I am looking for a pair of shooting gloves. More specifically decent outdoor gloves that wont hinder my ability to run a firearm. Suggestions?
Old March 12, 2012, 08:32 PM   #2
checkmyswag

Mechanix work well.
Old March 12, 2012, 08:36 PM   #3
Vermonter

Mr. Swag

How dare you suggest something so simple and easy. lol I will grab a pair. I used them in my ski shop days but dont currently own any. Anyone else?
Old March 12, 2012, 10:19 PM   #4
kbails84

MECHANIX

I swear by these gloves. I have used them for the last several years for everything for projects around the house to 8 hour days of intense manipulation of AR15's and Shotguns. Go with these from Amazon for $18 and you wont be disappointed in the least!

Fits true to size.

Kbails84
Old March 14, 2012, 10:57 PM   #5
insomni

Mechanix roofing gloves (with the protective strips on the knuckles) are $20 at lowes, and are the best damn tactical gloves ive ever used! low profile, great knuckle protection, excellent dexterity, wonderfully grippy palm. They are also tough as nails. Flaw:not made of nomex. That's IT.

I liked the Oakley Hard knuckle assault gloves, but the mechanix are 1/3-1/4 the price, and handle way better.
Old March 15, 2012, 04:51 AM   #6
insomni

If you want a third choice, the Hatch SOG L50 Operator Shorty gloves are made of nomex/kevlar with goatskin. Very nice fit, excellent grip & dexterity, good low profile, plus added protection from flashburns. Very comfortable, great protection, very tough gloves. Not very sexy, but incredibly well made.

They run in the $40-50 range
Old March 15, 2012, 07:11 PM   #7
10-96

Another idea... strol by your local pharmacies and take a peek at some of the wheelchair gloves. Most are fingerless (short fingered), but they are padded well, and are expected to last quite a while.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 15, 2012, 09:15 PM   #8
ClydeFrog

Sources for gloves, $, styles...

Depending on your budget & the use(s) you plan for the gloves, here are some top websites/firms.
www.Blackhawk.com www.Safariland.com www.5.11tactical.com www.policehq.com www.uscav.com www.qmuniforms.com .

I'd suggest the type that protect the knuckles/back-hand & provide a tight, secure fit. Nomex & Spectra-Shield help protect the hands & digits.
I'd heard from a few sources that Kelvar does not function properly when it's wet.
The Blackhawk SOLAG, the Hatch Shorty-Operator & the 5.11 ATAC styles are good. Some brands allow you to cut out the thumbs & index or trigger fingers.

CF