The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old July 16, 2018, 05:28 PM   #1
WV_gunner

New wheel weights

Has anyone used new lead wheel weights to cast with? Do they work well or is the alloy of today’s lead weight not the greatest? I can make my bullets for 23¢ each.
Old July 16, 2018, 06:20 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

Generally "new" wheel weights are zinc or steel. There is a lead plastic type,
but it does not melt.

There are real lead that are held on with foam tape, very nice addition to the pot.

The zinc weights are usually marked Zn and they float on melted lead alloy.
Old July 16, 2018, 06:52 PM   #3
WV_gunner

There’s still new lead weights out there, they are labeled as lead and are soft. These aren’t coated.

Last edited by WV_gunner; July 16, 2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old July 16, 2018, 07:01 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

I don't know what size bullet you are casting, but 23 cents is more expensive than many jacketed bullets, so it if it is costing you that much to make a bullet, something is wrong. Perhaps you meant 2.3 cents?

I will move this thread to bullet casting.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 16, 2018, 07:03 PM   #5
WV_gunner

.45-70, 340 grain
Old July 16, 2018, 07:37 PM   #6
gwpercle

Once you get the zinc and steel ones out the clip on and the stick on are for all practical purposes the same as those made after 1970.
When I had free wheel weights I used them straight with 1% tin , sometimes no tin.
My friend with the tire shop retired.... to stretch my WW supply I now mix them 50/50 COWW / scrap lead + 1% tin. This actually is a better alloy , accuracy improves with it.
Handgun and rifle bullets are air cooled , this makes an excellent hunting bullet , soft enough to mushroom but not brittle so it doesn't shatter.
Gary
Old July 16, 2018, 07:40 PM   #7
USSR

Quote:
I can make my bullets for 23¢ each.
If I were casting 340 grain bullets, I could make them for about 4¢ each. Don't know where your great expense is coming from.

Don
Old July 16, 2018, 07:48 PM   #8
WV_gunner

The 23¢ a bullet price comes from buying new lead weights. Just trying to find lead without buying from the internet. The scrapyard here sells if they have it but I don’t like buying anything from them. You’ve got a whole scrap yard and only one guy can set prices on stuff. I’ve been there for hours. I don’t even like selling to them.
Old July 16, 2018, 07:49 PM   #9
WV_gunner

I think I’m going to try to get permission to clean up a local range and sift.
Old July 16, 2018, 08:24 PM   #10
reddog81

You can find lead for under $2 a pound online. That's under $.10 per bullet. Missouri Bullet Company has already cast bullets for less than $.23
Old July 16, 2018, 08:26 PM   #11
Beagle333

I would think you could buy lead from rotometals and come out cheaper than 23 cents each. And I think there's a place in GA that sells bulk lead (pallets) even cheaper than rotometals.

By my quick math, if you got a hundred pounds of Lyman #2, you'd come out at 15.8 cents each for a 340gr bullet. But that can vary, as there are other alloys of different prices, some on sale, and I don't know if you live in a place that qualifies for free shipping of 100#. But that's still close.
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; July 16, 2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old July 17, 2018, 04:26 PM   #12
Wendyj

The Captain on cast boolit forum has range lead clean and fluxed in ingots for $1.00 a pound. Wheel weights and stick ons same price. A week ago all she had left was range lead at 50 lbs per customer. May have hanged by now.
Old July 17, 2018, 04:58 PM   #13
Sevens

Wait a second....
This guy owns a whole scrap yard and only -HE- can set prices on things he sells from his business...?!

Oh the humanity!
That sounds like AMERICA!
Old July 18, 2018, 06:55 AM   #14
WV_gunner

It’s not his scrap yard, he just works there. And nothing is a set price, like a price sheet. If there’s anything you want you’ve got a 30 minute wait probably, if not longer. They can take as long as they want, it’s their business. But just as easy as they can drag their feet, I can go some where else. I’ve been to other yards and it don’t take a minute. Anyways, I did some pricing on the larger weights and I could do 340 grains for 14¢. Sound expensive, sure. But it’s cheaper then any premade ammo and time is money. I could waste a day getting lead or I can buy new from where I work. If I get a chance I’ll get some range lead but I’m not doing large quantities yet.
Old July 20, 2018, 09:22 AM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

This outfit's price for #2 alloy would get you down to under 14 cents a bullet if the shipping were free. He's in Idaho, so it won't be free to WV, but if you take a vacation out that way or know anyone who is going, you might be able to pick it up yourself. (Incidentally, the bullet companies usually have shops selling blemished bullets for cheap if you happen to be in their neighborhoods. Some you have to call ahead, but it's worth keeping in mind if you travel by truck or car.)
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 1, 2018, 08:56 AM   #16
Don Fischer

How expensive would it be to ship 100# of anything. I don't get lead shipped, the shipping cost scares me. Of course I also have more than big enough supply on hand for the rest of my life.
Old August 1, 2018, 09:19 AM   #17
USSR

The way lead is typically shipped, at least by individuals who sell it, is using the USPS large flat rate boxes. The post office will accept them weighing up to about 70 pounds, and the cost is about $18. It's really the only affordable way.

Don
Old August 3, 2018, 07:55 PM   #18
Wendyj

Unless you have a lazy mail lady like mine that drove in my yard and tossed my box of lead out on the ground. Go figure.