The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old August 30, 2001, 11:41 PM   #1
P99

October Issue Fubar???

I was reading the article by Ed Sanow on his review of the M96. Well, am I just seeing things or it the top picture on page 28 NOT an M96? It looks similar, yet it looks like a pump gun with a polymer reciever. What exactly is it?

Great magazine by the way!

P99
Old August 31, 2001, 09:30 AM   #2
Correia

The gun in that picture is a Crossfire psuedo pump rifle/shotgun abomination in the sight of all that is good and right.

I've got nothing against a combo gun, in fact I really like the idea, but the execution of the Crossfire could have been much much better.
Correia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2001, 07:37 PM   #3
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

IIRC, the comment is that the Robinson will take the same mags as an AR-15...which I suppose is also the case with the Crossfire.

Wandering Thoughts
Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2001, 08:50 PM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Well, I can see that this is intended to be a photo of the Magazines... recycling photos is one thing... but one of a Crossfire?!?! :barf:

I like the idea of a combo gun too. However the Crossfire solution looses the abilities of both gun concepts... You cant use it like a regular shotgun, and you cant use it as a regular .223. It is totally pointless. Its a Tactical Vomit that is less than the sum of its parts.

Now, you want a GOOD Crossfire idea?
Take that shotgun and put it on the bottom... this way you can do tactical reloads with a regular feed tube as God intended shotgunners to do. With out this your better off WITHOUT a shotgun.
Now, for the .223. or 9MM or whatever the heck you want... Put that on TOP of the shotgun. Take an AR type receiver and make it eject out the top. Then make a charging handle that works off the left side. Turn that sideways - 90* to the right and mate that to the shotgun's receiver. Presto! You have just made the CROSSFIRE 100% BETTER.
Further impovements?
You dont ask much do you?
Fine...
Instead of an AR layout for the .223, use an AK action modified as I described for the AR and leave it chambered for 7.62X39!

Wait - Better? Dang!
Okay fine... FAL then!