The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 27, 2005, 12:39 PM   #26
SW40F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug.38PR
I understand Houston Police Department policemen, in addition to buying their own gun, must BUY THEIR OWN MOTORCYCLE and have it altered and painted for police use if they want to be biker cops.

That blew me away when I heard that. That is a boatload of money for a policeman...or anybody to spend for public use.
At first it sounds stupid, but I bet HPD motor police take better care of their cycles than others that ride a 'loaner'...
Old June 27, 2005, 04:24 PM   #27
12-34hom

Duty ammo

I supply my own.

Para P-14ltd. 45acp

Mag carried in weapon - Triton 450smc 165 grainers.

On belt - 1 mag - Pro load 45 +p 200 grain JHP

2 mag - Hornaday FMJ 230 grain.

For my - DW 1911 -10mm - Doubletap 165 grain JHP.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old June 27, 2005, 04:25 PM   #28
liliysdad

Quote:
Liliysdad you have got to be kidding? In this day and age with lawyers lurking everywhere under every soild rock? What area do you work in?
Town of about 5200-5500 in southwest Oklahoma.

I dont even mind buying my stuff. I make sure I buy good ammo, firearms, etc, just to lawyer proof my ass. What I do mind is that close to 10 out the the last 20 shifts Ive worked, Ive been alone. 5500 people sounds like a real small town unitl you try and cover it by yourself. Also consider that Ive been a full time cop for close to a year, and I havent been to an academy yet, so I have no OC, no Baton, no Taser, no Defensive Tactics training, no LE Driving training.....and on most nights, my closest backup is ~20 minutes away...

Why the hell do I do this again?
Old June 27, 2005, 04:38 PM   #29
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Why the hell do I do this again?
Because it's in your blood and you give a damn?

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old June 28, 2005, 08:54 AM   #30
liliysdad

Unfortunately, you are correct. I cant fathom doing anyhting else now......

If I didnt love working the town I grew up in, Id be gone. Even with the downfalls of a small department, it is nice interacting with folks Ive known all my life...even when its in a bad way...

Hopefully the FOP will come to our rescue..