The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 18, 2015, 07:44 AM   #1
BlackPowderBen

are these nipple wrenches any good?

Are these nipple wrenches any good? One of them was listed as fitting #10 and #11 nipples, is that possible? (its attached below)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Revolver-Nip...:X:RTQ:US:1123

This particular racheting one says it has a 3/16 head, is that the same head of a #10 nipple?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ted-Cash-Rat...:X:RTQ:US:1123

Thanks
Old March 18, 2015, 11:21 AM   #2
maillemaker

I use the wratcheting wrench with appropriate socket for muskets. I like it.

Steve
Old March 18, 2015, 06:42 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

Best nipple wrench I've ever had was this one:

Universal Nipple Wrench 45-016 $32.95

From: http://possibleshop.com/s-s-nipple-w...cbnipplewrench

The Ted cash ratcheting wrench is good if you don't have a stuck nipple - I stripped out the socket on a frozen Remmie nipple.

The Colt L style wrenches:

Baby Deluxe Nipple Wrench 45-043 $28.95

and Colt Pattern Deluxe Nipple Wrench 45-046 $28.95 work well also.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 18, 2015, 07:57 PM   #4
B.L.E.

Quote:
One of them was listed as fitting #10 and #11 nipples, is that possible?
Certainly. The wrench size has nothing to do with the cap size the nipple needs. There's only a slight size difference between #11 and #10 caps and some brands fit tighter than others.

I was shooting muzzleloading trap once and I started getting occasional failures to fire, I had to recock the hammer and try again and then the gun would go off. It turned out I had opened a can of #10 caps instead of #11 caps and the first blow of the hammer seated the cap and the second blow ignited the cap. I got another tin of #11's and the problem disappeared.

Also, number 10 caps aren't necessarily universal for revolvers. I have an open top Colt that needs 11's. Ruger Old Army revolvers also need #11 caps and a special hex nipple wrench that comes with the revolver.
Old March 18, 2015, 08:43 PM   #5
B.L.E.

Quote:
One of them was listed as fitting #10 and #11 nipples, is that possible?
Certainly. The wrench size has nothing to do with the cap size the nipple needs. There's only a slight size difference between #11 and #10 caps and some brands fit tighter than others.

I was shooting muzzleloading trap once and I started getting occasional failures to fire, I had to recock the hammer and try again and then the gun would go off. It turned out I had opened a can of #10 caps instead of #11 caps and the first blow of the hammer seated the cap and the second blow ignited the cap. I got another tin of #11's and the problem disappeared.

Also, number 10 caps aren't necessarily universal for revolvers. I have an open top Colt that needs 11's. Ruger Old Army revolvers also need #11 caps and a special hex nipple wrench that comes with the revolver.
Old March 19, 2015, 12:00 PM   #6
Hellgate

I like the ratcheting wrench the best. After applying a release agent like Liquid wrench/Kroil etc. I lightly tap on the top with a small hammer as I reef on it to remove stuck nipples. Put the cylinder into a padded vise when you do. Haven't stripped my wrench YET (but it just might be a matter of time).
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old March 19, 2015, 01:33 PM   #7
BWM

I put never seize on them and I remove it after 50 round. That at one time was every day for 4 years Monday throw Friday from April to last of September and some time October. Me and my shooting buddy was disable about the same time. We cast are bullets on Saturday. He had three guns and I had 6 witch one shot smokeless powder witch made it good cleaned it once every 30 day. I had then so I only cleaned one every day black powder. We used Pyrodex pistol powder.
Old March 20, 2015, 07:52 PM   #8
Hardy

well-- i think with new piettas and uberties, the nipples are sometimes too tight for standard wrenches--I found if you have a small wrench from an old 2nd or 3rd model colt set--it is stronger or have 3/4 slotted socket--but you have to make that.. If the nipples are placed in the cylinder not too tight but tight enough--any traditions or nipple wrench is fine--but they are soft steel. They will not take out some of the manufactures' nipples of new guns--I've cursed,cried and everything until I found out. I think you can get that colt wrench that is L shaped w/ fitted scew driver through cabellas--but not sure. I never had a problem breaking a nipple screw w/ one but I sure have w/ the others.
Old March 20, 2015, 08:47 PM   #9
Bishop Creek

That's what I use too Hardy, one made for a 2nd Gen Colt.